Toronto Musée Condos | 53.95m | 17s | Plaza | BDP Quadrangle

I wonder if the people at Plaza are embarrassed about how effing hideous this building is, especially next to Oneeleven

Taken today. Looks even worse in person.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,066
I am not one to generally post personal opinions or value judgements, but to me, from a building envelope perspective, Musee has to have the biggest gap between design concept and intent, versus execution and realization, of any buildings in the current construction cycle. The exterior is truly awful.

I know the building is still incomplete, under construction, but I cannot see how it can be redeemed, without a full resurfacing of the current facade. As noted above - a turd, of the highest order.

Yeah, I'd say it easily ranks among the absolute worst during this entire building boom. I'm going to go down and see it in person soon, but I expect it to be worse, not better than it's shown to be in the pics.

From my perspective - yes, worse in person than in pictures. When you get a chance look at the details which may not be so visible in the pictures - the plastic trim between the wall sections (it has a cheap shiny finish look, quite different from the panel sections), the variations in colour not just between the wall sections, but within the individual panels, the overall fit and finish.....

Yeah, I'd say it easily ranks among the absolute worst during this entire building boom. I'm going to go down and see it in person soon, but I expect it to be worse, not better than it's shown to be in the pics.

I'm trying to think of something worse. I can't.

Velocity at the Square is not far enough along to say exactly how it's going to end up, and neither is Knightstone's University Place on College, but both of them mean this is a race to the bottom, and not a slam-dunk.

With respect to Velocity at the Square and University Place, I agree regarding the outcome - but I do not think they were intended to be more than they are - the developers are basically achieving what they set out to accomplish. My issue with Musee is that, from what I can see, and from the renderings, Musee was not intended to end up like this - not only is the result the way it is - it is the gap between design concept and intent compared to the ultimate end result which is so great.

It's not the design per se--though it's not great. It's the materials. For one, the building needs a good wash. That'll marginally improve it. But after that, we're stuck with a real clunker here. Just be happy it's not on the corner of Bathurst there. It's at least somewhat hidden.

Agreed - not the design. It is the execution that is lacking. The detailed material and construction specifications, on site workmanship, etc. While the building is consistent with the overall design, take a good look at the finished product - the surfaces, consistency in the colours, the fit and finish. The rendering shows continuous surfaces - but in the actual construction, each of the black wall sections is separated by a gap, which is filled with a shiny plastic trim strip - looks terrible. Cleaning the walls after construction may help a little, but my feeling is the coarse nature of material's surface will lead to uneven discolouring over a relatively short timeframe. Totally different from Tableau, with its lower level exterior finishes.

Back