News   Apr 24, 2024
 744     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 989     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 569     0 

Toronto Municipal Election 2018: Mayor’s Race

Likelier that someone like Climenhaga will be this year's Goldkind.

As long as I have a reasonable and sensible person to vote for I don't care who it is.

I couldn't give a toss about "champions" of this or that and someone's "left wing" fighting their "right wing" thus preventing us all from being able to take flight.

As the weeks go by it is looking less and less likely that John Tory gets a major opponent. Does this mean that Sarah Climenhaga becomes the sort of 'Tooker Gomberg' protest vote?

As the weeks go by it is looking less and less likely that John Tory gets a major opponent. Does this mean that Sarah Climenhaga becomes the sort of 'Tooker Gomberg' protest vote?

My question is will John Tory get 50%+1 vote on the first round of voting?

Oh wait a minute. We're still with first-past-the-post voting in October. Never mind.

Makes sense to me. There are now 12 people registered to run for mayor. That seems way down compared to past years.

Is it too early to do any kind of polling?

He's campaigning in Deer Park - where Tory won with over a 30% margin in 2014. But that's also Josh Matlow's turf. My guess is that he isn't campaigning for re-election, but trying to get support for a yet-undeclared council puppet, another Christin Carmichael Greb. The rumour is that Ann Rohmer is going to run as a Tory-backed "star candidate."

Matlow has been a real thorn in Tory's side.

Rohmer vs Matlow: I reckon on Matlow's behalf. He's surely got the "Jill Andrew Liberals" in his camp.

There are now 13 people running for mayor. Time is running out for people to register.

Also, with the shorter campaign schedule, how many debates will happen?

Last edited:
From link:

Toronto Mayor John Tory fills in for John Moore on Moore in the Morning -- July 3, 2018 only! Catch 'Mayor in the Morning with John Tory at 5:30 am, July 3 on NEWSTALK 1010.
Just in case John Tory doesn't get re-elected in October, he's getting in some practice for Plan "B".

From link:

Toronto Mayor John Tory fills in for John Moore on Moore in the Morning -- July 3, 2018 only! Catch 'Mayor in the Morning with John Tory at 5:30 am, July 3 on NEWSTALK 1010.
Just in case John Tory doesn't get re-elected in October, he's getting in some practice for Plan "B".
Seems to be a bad precedent.
I recall a number of their panelists from the various parties were put to the side during the election period.
Will they now have to give all mayoralty candidates the same opportunity.?

Be afraid, very afraid.

From link.

That’s not just because Ford supports both a “strong mayor” system which would severely limit their powers, as well as for cutting the size of Toronto council in half.

...“I believe in a strong mayor system, like they have in the States” Ford told the Globe and Mail in 2011. “The mayor should have veto power … so he has enough power to stop council. The mayor should be the mayor. At the end of the day … the mayor’s responsible for everything.”

At the time, the Ford brothers were frustrated by the power of council to thwart the mayor’s will, given that in Toronto’s municipal government system, the mayor is only one vote and has to enlist the support of at least 22 of the 44 members on council to get anything approved.

In 2013, Toronto councillors defeated a motion by the Ford brothers to cut the size of council in half, which Rob Ford had campaigned on in his successful bid for mayor in 2010...

Better to have ranked ballots before a "strong mayor" system is implemented, first.

I wonder if the recent spike in gun violence could provide an opening for a law-and-order candidate, say a Julian Fantino type?

It’s difficult to imagine what the Mayor could do about Toronto’s surging homicide rate. If you’re on the left you believe that crime is a result of inequality that could be ameliorated by massive increases (“investments”) in welfare spending, financed a little by “making the rich pay a little more” and a lot by borrowing so future generations can be stuck with the bill. If you’re on the right, you believe the problem is a toxic combination of activist courts using the Charter, whether the actual language or the vibe of the thing (“Charter Values, Living Tree, etc.), to decline to punish criminals, an insufficiently deterring Criminal Code to begin with, and lax immigration standards. Either way, it’s a problem for higher levels of government.

Back