News   May 03, 2024
 522     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 330     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 186     0 

Toronto Municipal Election 2018: Mayor’s Race

Is there a list somewhere online that has all the names of the people running for mayor and councillors?

Any thoughts on Fragedakis? My neighbourhood is now part of her ward and I don’t know anything about her.

Good office staff who are attentive and knowledgeable. She is a reliable left/progressive vote, albeit pretty quiet on city-wide issues.

Good office staff who are attentive and knowledgeable. She is a reliable left/progressive vote, albeit pretty quiet on city-wide issues.

She generally supports the left/progressive wing, but she can also pander to populism in her ward. During the recent debate on laneway housing at TYECC, she complained about the potential impact on parking. In fact, she's obsessed with surface parking. She killed a proposed Soul Kitchen kitchen at the back of a building on the Danforth because it would have resulted in the loss of one (one!) parking space. She managed to get TPA to buy the site at the corner of Playter and Danforth so we could get a Green P surface parking (the last thing we need right on the Danforth) - and to mollify nearby residents, the vehicular ingress and egress to the lot is right on the Danforth (instead of the side street, which is usual City policy), so now we have cars driving across the sidewalk.

She's been Councillor for two terms and I can't think of any significant effort or proposal that she has spearheaded, other than helping kill a decent midrise project on Broadview. She isn't particularly effective.

She isn't the worst. But it would be nice if there was a decent centre-left, left candidate running against her.

She generally supports the left/progressive wing, but she can also pander to populism in her ward. During the recent debate on laneway housing at TYECC, she complained about the potential impact on parking. In fact, she's obsessed with surface parking. She killed a proposed Soul Kitchen kitchen at the back of a building on the Danforth because it would have resulted in the loss of one (one!) parking space. She managed to get TPA to buy the site at the corner of Playter and Danforth so we could get a Green P surface parking (the last thing we need right on the Danforth) - and to mollify nearby residents, the vehicular ingress and egress to the lot is right on the Danforth (instead of the side street, which is usual City policy), so now we have cars driving across the sidewalk.

She's been Councillor for two terms and I can't think of any significant effort or proposal that she has spearheaded, other than helping kill a decent midrise project on Broadview. She isn't particularly effective.

She isn't the worst. But it would be nice if there was a decent centre-left, left candidate running against her.

I'm in complete agreement with the above, but may add a tad to it.

On cycling: Not one metre of new bike lane in her ward since her election. Donlands is low-hanging fruit w/a very wide single lane in each direction south of O'Connor. No movement.

Pedestrian safety: Perhaps she's done something I'm not aware of, but there has been no removal of channelized turns that I'm aware of, no move to shorten crossing distances, no move to seriously
fix the misaligned intersection of O'Connor/Donlands, so not much.

On Parks: Her ward is among the most parks deficient in the City, it desperately needs one large new park, or a significant expansion of an existing one. I'm aware of no move to remedy this.

On Parking: As noted she has an obsession w/parking; worse though is that she does nothing useful on it. If Pay and Display parking (permit holders exempt) were in introduced on all side streets north of Danforth to Mortimer and South of Danforth for roughly 2 large city blocks (to the railway corridor from Greenwood east; most parking problems would vanish.

I could go on.

She is far better than Case Ootes but that is such a low bar; she's been a disappointment.

In terms of parks, Logan Green Field continues to sit there. Fragedakis got Council authority in 2014 to do a public consultation, which for some reason didn't occur until April 2017, and then radio silence since. I know there need to be funds to build the damn thing, but she seems to be doing the absolute minimum, and there is no way she is advocating for it.

I imagine it is the same routine elsewhere in the ward.

Pfffft.....I wouldn't vote for her solely based on this paragraph. What a tit.

You know what's an amazingly efficient use of space? Surface parking! For everyone! Everywhere!

This put me off my dinner. I can't psychologically handle surface parking proponents. Sure, sure, I'm the mental one.

I wonder how the debates will work if Tory is the only major candidate to run.

I'm glad you bring this up because it will give the lie to the notion of "major" candidates being the only ones worthy of air time. Who the hell decides who is worthy of air time? Of being in debates? Of who's a "major" candidate?

What is it, over a certain age?
Previous obnoxious behaviour as in being a politician for the past 25 years?
Name recognition because of above?
Loud obnoxious behaviour?
Coin toss?
Lost bet between TV station owners?

I trust the media to present facts but I sure as hell don't trust them to be the arbiter of political candidates.

Don't worry, Goldkind will come through.

Kevin Clarke is now registered as a mayoral candidate.

I'm glad you bring this up because it will give the lie to the notion of "major" candidates being the only ones worthy of air time. Who the hell decides who is worthy of air time? Of being in debates? Of who's a "major" candidate?

I certainly don't want Tory to be debating himself...

Why even bother with any debates for mayor?

He will probably win with over 80% of the most vote.

Back