News   May 10, 2024
 107     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 627     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 424     0 

Toronto Municipal Election 2018: Mayor’s Race

Maybe the PC's will upload that as well.

One could hope.

I don't know what to think of the east Gardiner. I agree with tearing it down, because it is fiscally responsible and the number of drivers using it are negligible compared to the cost of the infrastructure.

But the issue was settled years ago as far as I am concerned. I don't think it is a good idea to re-open the debate. This to me sounds exactly how the criticism of how "nothing gets done in this city" comes to dominate discussion in municipal politics.

If we really wanted to do something for the eastern Waterfront, there is a fully-studied LRT that needs funding.

She's absolutely right to advocate tearing down the Gardiner. Spending billions to rebuild it is sheer stupidity for a city that likes to pretend that it's progressive.

But once again, she doesn't go far enough - the entirety of the Gardiner should be demolished, not just East of Jarvis. These half measures of hers aren't impressing me enough. For all her talk of bold vision and ideas, she has come up short every time so far. That's not going to beat Tory.

Do you mean the far right :) lol

Nope, not just far right people. Sadly, supposedly normal conservatives like her

What hate has she spewed exactly?? (and keep in mind I dont know much about her, all I know is she's far right-wing)

-She recited the 14 words
-She went on a podcast run by The Daily Stormer
-She defended how the Nazis treated gay people
-She believes in "white genocide"
-Her coverage of the white supremacists in Charlottesville was flattering of them

Reactions: jys
Jennifer Keesmaat has been a disappointment in her race thus far. Her transit plan is vague and doesn't really deal with the issues of how she will build DRL sooner other than accelerating studies. She doesn't advocate to extend DRL to Sheppard which would actually provide real relief and alternatives for coming downtown from North York and Scarborough.

The Gardiner East, I think its going to cost her the election frankly. Outside of urbanists and downtowners, most in the suburbs are with Tory on keeping Gardiner east to connect with DVP. Yes it's not jammed and under-used. However, this city vote is majority by drivers who live in Etobicoke/North York and Scarborough. Anything that increases their travel time to the central core will be voted down.

I think Tory will win in a land-slide as he has picked a middle-ground and supported some left ideas like bike lanes on Bloor and King St transit priority. He hasn't really made any fatal errors to have him kicked out.

Jennifer needs to so something truly bold to capture attention - focus on the suburbs and their experience. Without them, she can't win.

I drive the eastern Gardiner every single work day.

1. It's jammed going westbound in the morning and afternoon rush hours (7ish-10ish and 14ish-19ish)
This means it's useless as an intended highway. Best to be rid of it. No difference here.
I actually get off at Yonge (the exit lane moves well) and take Yonge-Wellington-Spadina-King-Portland-Richmond-Bathurst-King to SAVE TIME.

2. It's a truly hideous p.o.s. Blow it up.

I reiterate: I drive it every day to and from work and I wouldn't miss its existence for a second were it to go where it should and explode into the rubble that it is.

Last edited:
I agree, but I was merely referring to the current politics in the city. Most suburban voters will vote for rebuild of Gardiner even if they never use it. It's the same issue with the Scarborough subway. Most supporting it will never use it, especially its current form of 1 stop. Nonetheless, they will vote against more pragmatic solutions that are cheaper and benefit more people.

Even if Keesmaat did win and gained council support for removal, couldn't that be completely overridden by the PCs? Yes it's all TO's infrastructure and our decision of what to do with, but it's hard to now accept that as a reality what with notwithstanding. A bit disillusioning. Really who knows even if the planned Gardiner rebuild will be followed through.

Let's say Port Lands planning changed course, and with S of Lake Shore / E of Don Rdwy it's all open to any concept to begin with, perhaps we could see proposals to extend the Gardiner back east like it used to. Think about it. We push for and land an NFL stadium or something to be sited around Hearn maybe with a direct expressway connection. Seems possible.

The Gardiner East, I think its going to cost her the election frankly. Outside of urbanists and downtowners, most in the suburbs are with Tory on keeping Gardiner east to connect with DVP. Yes it's not jammed and under-used. However, this city vote is majority by drivers who live in Etobicoke/North York and Scarborough. Anything that increases their travel time to the central core will be voted down.

I think most people will think its silly to have two highways (the QEW and DVP) no longer be joined together. Anyone who is mildly interested will realize the cost savings are costed over 50 years - a plainly absurd timeframe to estimate anything.

The only way to sell it might be to convince people what great community could be built there with the reclaimed waterfront. The problem is that its the portlands and a long way from being revitalized.

From Star. https://www.thestar.com/news/toront...-with-controversial-campaign-strategists.html

That campaign team[ John Tory's] includes two of the country’s hardest-hitting strategists — one is pollster Nick Kouvalis, whom Tory refused to distance himself from after the strategist was arrested twice in less than two years, who has a history of committing divisive personal and political attacks, including using an alt-right slur against a political science professor on Twitter, who ran a Conservative leadership campaign accused of racist and xenophobic policy, and who has purposely spread fake news. The other is Warren Kinsella, who has promoted negative campaigning and whose own Twitter comments accusing Tory of “segregationist” policies sparked a controversy during the 2014 mayoral race.

Even if Keesmaat did win and gained council support for removal, couldn't that be completely overridden by the PCs? Yes it's all TO's infrastructure and our decision of what to do with, but it's hard to now accept that as a reality what with notwithstanding. A bit disillusioning. Really who knows even if the planned Gardiner rebuild will be followed through.

Let's say Port Lands planning changed course, and with S of Lake Shore / E of Don Rdwy it's all open to any concept to begin with, perhaps we could see proposals to extend the Gardiner back east like it used to. Think about it. We push for and land an NFL stadium or something to be sited around Hearn maybe with a direct expressway connection. Seems possible.

Why on earth would we want an NFL team?

Setting aside my genuine dislike of their rather dull game.............

Its a very short season w/a smattering of home games, maybe 8 regular season dates per year.

Given the cost of a stadium, infrastructure to serve it, cost of a team etc. it is profoundly wasteful and offers a negative ROI for a City in this day and age.

It is certainly no justification for keeping, let alone expanding an expressway.

I think most people will think its silly to have two highways (the QEW and DVP) no longer be joined together. Anyone who is mildly interested will realize the cost savings are costed over 50 years - a plainly absurd timeframe to estimate anything.

The only way to sell it might be to convince people what great community could be built there with the reclaimed waterfront. The problem is that its the portlands and a long way from being revitalized.

All of the project options, including retention were costed over the same life cycle. (50 years)

There is nothing intrinsically unreasonable about that choice. Its meant to capture how much would be invested in the initial build or rebuild then what it would cost to maintain and operate until it needs replacement again.

From Star. https://www.thestar.com/news/toront...-with-controversial-campaign-strategists.html

That campaign team[ John Tory's] includes two of the country’s hardest-hitting strategists — one is pollster Nick Kouvalis, whom Tory refused to distance himself from after the strategist was arrested twice in less than two years, who has a history of committing divisive personal and political attacks, including using an alt-right slur against a political science professor on Twitter, who ran a Conservative leadership campaign accused of racist and xenophobic policy, and who has purposely spread fake news. The other is Warren Kinsella, who has promoted negative campaigning and whose own Twitter comments accusing Tory of “segregationist” policies sparked a controversy during the 2014 mayoral race.
I didn't realize Jennifer Pagliaro and David Rider started writing opinion columns.

I didn't realize Jennifer Pagliaro and David Rider started writing opinion columns.

That looks rather straight-forwardly factual to me.

If you would like to dispute the assertions in the above I would be interested in your facts.

Back