News   May 22, 2024
 762     1 
News   May 22, 2024
 594     1 
News   May 22, 2024
 439     0 

Toronto Municipal Election 2018: Mayor’s Race

Keesmaat's message seems to be: I basically believe in the same things as John Tory, but I'll be more effective and won't dither.
You miss a massive gauntlet she threw down:
Keesmaat vows to cancel parts of SmartTrack, withdraw funding for Scarborough subway
By BEN SPURRTransportation Reporter
Thu., Aug. 30, 2018
Jennifer Keesmaat would cancel parts of John Tory’s SmartTrack plan and withdraw city funding for a controversial three-stop Scarborough subway extension if she’s elected mayor this fall.

Keesmaat, who is considered Mayor Tory’s chief rival in the Oct. 22 vote, made those promises as she unveiled details of her “network transit plan” to a room full of reporters at a downtown YWCA Thursday morning.
[...]
https://www.thestar.com/news/toront...at-pitches-citywide-network-transit-plan.html

That's a massive difference to Tory's stance. And a lance in Ford's headlight. She's called Ford out for his own claims, and now he's going to have to wear it. What's Tory done? Shine his Oxfords and comb his hair?

I don't dislike Tory. He's an adequate man for an adequate time. This time isn't that...Tory needs spunk, and Keesmaat has it.

Perhaps we see the spunk from Tory during Round #2
Well if he hasn't been able to show it by now, it's a bit late...
Faith Goldy claims she's being shut out from the democratic process
Then let her make an appeal to the courts or tribunals.

Ernst Zundel comes to mind...so do pro and anti-abortion ads. The media has been tested and granted the right (within the law, which is interpretable) to not run what it finds against their policy.

Faith Goldy is a useful idiot for those fondling her...which in any other context, would be a case of unwanted touching. How touching...she likes being chattel. That's her right...it doesn't follow that others agree. How odd from someone lambasting those wearing veils...

Well if he hasn't been able to show it by now, it's a bit late...
Then let her make an appeal to the courts or tribunals.

Ernst Zundel comes to mind...so do pro and anti-abortion ads. The media has been tested and granted the right (within the law, which is interpretable) to not run what it finds against their policy.

Faith Goldy is a useful idiot for those fondling her...which in any other context, would be a case of unwanted touching. How touching...she likes being chattel. That's her right...it doesn't follow that others agree. How odd from someone lambasting those wearing veils...
Zundel wasn't silenced - he was allowed to run for Liberal leadership.

Zundel wasn't silenced - he was allowed to run for Liberal leadership.
Fascinating...are you of the von Münchhausen branch of philosophy?
Two fringe candidates ran: Reverend Lloyd Henderson, a former mayor of Portage la Prairie, Manitoba had received one vote when he ran in the 1958 Liberal leadership convention and had also run unsuccessfully for parliament as an independent in the 1960s. He was not a delegate himself at the 1968 convention and would famously receive no votes even though his wife was a delegate. Ernst Zündel, not yet known publicly as a Holocaust denier, was also a candidate but dropped out before the first ballot after delivering a speech to the convention, decrying what he alleged was discrimination against German-Canadians.[11]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_Party_of_Canada_leadership_election,_1968

Oh of course, it had to be because he was German....

To paraphrase the English: Kontext ist Everything...
He had been jailed several times: in Canada for publishing literature "likely to incite hatred against an identifiable group", and on charges of being a threat to national security; in the United States, for overstaying his visa; and in Germany for charges of "inciting racial hatred".[6][7][8] He lived in Canada from 1958 to 2000.
[...]
On February 5, 2003, Ernst Zündel was detained by local police in the U.S. and deported to Canada, where he was detained for two years on a security certificate for being a foreign national considered a threat to national security pending a court decision on the validity of the certificate. Once the certificate was upheld, he was deported to Germany and tried in the state court of Mannheim on outstanding charges of incitement of Holocaust denial dating from the early 1990s. On February 15, 2007, he was convicted and sentenced to the maximum term of five years in prison. All these imprisonments and prosecutions were for inciting hatred against an identifiable group.[9] He was released on March 1, 2010.[10] [...]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Zündel

Last edited:
I have yet to hear of one female candidate from any party at any political level that you approve of. Are you sure you don't think all female politicians are weak.

The issue is many of the current female leaders are weak not because they are women but because they are not really strong leaders.

Dislike her policies or not Margaret Thatcher was not a weak female leader by any stretch of the imagination and her strength had nothing to do with her being a woman.

So your implication that I think all female leaders are weak is absurd, it is that the current crop of female political leaders is not really inspiring.

People on the right love Faith Goldy, especially the free speech warriors. They are giving her a free pass for her white supremacy too.

We have to go back to 1990 to find a female leader whom you don't think is weak. That is uninspiring.
The issue is many of the current female leaders are weak not because they are women but because they are not really strong leaders.

Dislike her policies or not Margaret Thatcher was not a weak female leader by any stretch of the imagination and her strength had nothing to do with her being a woman.

So your implication that I think all female leaders are weak is absurd, it is that the current crop of female political leaders is not really inspiring.

Faith Goldy will never win in a Liberal city like Toronto anyways.

However, if you want true democracy you have to let extremists like her into the democratic process as well.
If you shut her out, then where do you start drawing the line?? Do we shut out the communist party as well??

How about Angela Merkel?

Faith Goldy will never win in a Liberal city like Toronto anyways.

However, if you want true democracy you have to let extremists like her into the democratic process as well.
If you shut her out, then where do you start drawing the line?? Do we shut out the communist party as well??
*Who* shut her out? You also limit the powers of the private organizations hosting the debates to select who they think is fit under the Law to appear at their venues.

When far right orgs like Rebel Media no longer allow her due to her opinions (her contract was terminated in 2017 after she appeared in an interview on The Daily Stormer website. - Wikipedia), why should any centrist sites allow her?

I agree, it's a fine line, so if Goldy has a problem with that, she should take it to court.
Do we shut out the communist party as well??
If they start spewing hate towards an identifiable group, of course we do. They can take it to court too if they have a problem with it. That's *our* system.

*Who* shut her out? You also limit the powers of the private organizations hosting the debates to select who they think is fit under the Law to appear at their venues.

When far right orgs like Rebel Media no longer allow her due to her opinions (her contract was terminated in 2017 after she appeared in an interview on The Daily Stormer website. - Wikipedia), why should any centrist sites allow her?

I agree, it's a fine line, so if Goldy has a problem with that, she should take it to court.
If they start spewing hate towards an identifiable group, of course we do. They can take it to court too if they have a problem with it. That's *our* system
What hate has she spewed exactly?? (and keep in mind I dont know much about her, all I know is she's far right-wing)

Merkel is mentioned above. To that I might add Rachel Notley, you might not care for her politics, but she not only built the NDP in AB sufficiently to grab government, a rather unlikely feat, but her stamp is clearly on everything her government does.

She doesn't come off as wishy/washy whether you find her politics appealing or not.

Moreover, while she remains likely to lose the next provincial election, she's polling over 30%, which given that she leads the NDP, in Alberta, and that she's run fairly large deficits suggests a measure of political acumen.

Back