News   Apr 24, 2024
 222     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 318     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 649     0 

Toronto Municipal Election 2018: Mayor’s Race

Didn't Tory win the Bluffs overwhelmingly?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

lemmings.jpg

From link.

That's exactly why he's been pushing the SSE so relentlessly.

He can't get away with not doing it.
If he doesn’t want a third term he can in his second term push it down the line with more studies for cheaper solutions while going all in on the drl asap

If he doesn’t want a third term he can in his second term push it down the line with more studies for cheaper solutions while going all in on the drl asap

There's a reason he doesn't want the cost revealed until after the election.

I think it's safe to say the SSE isn't getting cheaper.

Tory's "base" is affluent Torontonians.

And unfortunately for him, a lot of those people are receptive to Jen Keesmaat's progressive messaging.

The Scarborough numbers do not surprise me. Tory radiates "elite" more than Keesmaat does.

I think she has a shot at this thing.

And unfortunately for him, a lot of those people are receptive to Jen Keesmaat's progressive messaging.

The Scarborough numbers do not surprise me. Tory radiates "elite" more than Keesmaat does.

I think she has a shot at this thing.

I have a feeling turnout in Scarborough and NW Toronto will be quite a bit lower without a "Ford Nation" candidate on the ballot, hence increasing the voting weight of the core.

Really depends- affluence, especially old affluence, does not like the boat to be rocked too much, and Kouvalis is doing his best to portray Keesmaat as a "dangerous" NDP radical.

She should do her best to paint Tory as out-of-touch and silver-spooned, no matter how populist that sounds. Not particularly hard to do with multiple instances of Tory only kowtowing once media pressure is applied.

Also interesting seeing that Warren Kinsella has thrown in his hat with the Tory-ites- surprising for someone who once campaigned for Olivia Chow:
https://twitter.com/kinsellawarren/status/1037516001850474496

Last edited:
Section 33 (the “notwithstanding clause”) allows legislatures to override the “fundamental freedoms” in Section 2 or the legal or equality rights in Sections 7-15 of the Charter. It has nothing to do with divisions of legislative powers between the provinces and feds.

Yep. But the statement was the feds were looking for a workaround to uncooperative/combative provincial leadership. Their only long-shot to making that work is to claim that blocking a 100% federally funded project, which the community presumably wants, breaches one of of those sections of the Charter.

I was reaching because I don't see how feds have the authority to override a premiers direction to a municipality without an overhaul to current structure; other than to claim it's harmful in some way to the individuals of the municipality.

Last edited:
I would like to see polling done with an "other" option, not just Tory and Keesmaat. I know that no one else stands a chance, but they are still registered candidates.

Back