News   Apr 25, 2024
 289     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 912     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 948     0 

Toronto Municipal Election 2018: Mayor’s Race

Tory would be best described as a moderate or maybe centre-right. Doug Ford is a right wing populist.

Ok, sure.

Now read @Northern Light 's signature and classify Northern Light.

I don't understand the need to distill massively complex worldviews into the simplest of terms. The human mind is very complex, we do it a massive disservice in doing so.
That's without mentioning the fact that such simplistic labeling of people only leads to the sort of tribalism that debases our democracy.

In fact, do me next. Left? Centre? Right? Up? Down?

Ok, sure.

I don't understand the need to distill massively complex worldviews into the simplest of terms. The human mind is very complex, we do it a massive disservice in doing so.
That's without mentioning the fact that such simplistic labeling of people only leads to the sort of tribalism that debases our democracy.

It is a good way to describe things to non-political experts.

Ok, sure.

I very much understand where you are coming from. Just because someone is to the left or right, it doesn't mean that they have set beliefs. For example, my parents are conservative evangelical types and they hate guns. My in-laws are recently retired Salvation Army officers and don't like that their son owns guns.

Well, yeah, it doesn't really illustrate what a person stands for or believes in.

If I don't know someone's policy ideas these labels don't help illustrate them whatsoever. It cheapens the whole exercise and leads to generalisation and a poor us vs them mostly binary contest for power. Which is, by nature, a shitty zero sum game where the winners take all and everybody else loses.
Prime example: US politics today.

I mean, I would describe Tory as a timid but well-meaning neo-aristocrat. He's a classical liberal who comes across as too mild because he's fond of moderation in excess. Even this description is a bit bland, but it sure as hell tells me a lot more about him than describing him as "centre-right".

Well, yeah, it doesn't really illustrate what a person stands for or believes in.

If I don't know someone's policy ideas these labels don't help illustrate them whatsoever. It cheapens the whole exercise and leads to generalisation and a poor us vs them mostly binary contest for power. Which is, by nature, a shitty zero sum game where the winners take all and everybody else loses.
Prime example: US politics today.

I mean, I would describe Tory as a timid but well-meaning neo-aristocrat. He's a classical liberal who comes across as too mild because he's fond of moderation in excess. Even this description is a bit bland, but it sure as hell tells me a lot more about him than describing him as "centre-right".

That characterization of Tory is just so spot-on. And that's the reason I'm going to back Jennifer Keesmaat.

So, gang, it didn't take much consideration. Jennifer Keesmaat for me. I'll help out with her campaign. To sum it up, Tory's a tired old thing and we need fresh thinking. Heck, I'd welcome some new ideas from a fresh young(er) brain.

That characterization of Tory is just so spot-on. And that's the reason I'm going to back Jennifer Keesmaat.

hahaa...cool.

I don't even find my characterisation of him to be that off-putting, but then again, I don't think I'd have voted for him anyway. I voted for Goldkind last election and that man has abandoned us. Probably because he realised there's no hope for people like us (that'd be me and Goldkind, I'm not implicating you in anything).

We're so world-class, we grow vegetables in our forgotten sinkholes...

Eight years of austerity budgets leaves residents with few alternatives--when someone gives us lemons in Toronto, we make tomatoes.

A massive pothole in Toronto's Rathnelly neighbourhood was left unfixed for months — so somebody planted some tomatoes in it.

Maybe we should be planting tomato seeds in the sidewalk cracks next spring. Then come late summer, they'll crowd out the "weeds" which the city refuses to clean up (to save on money) and produce something useful instead.

Taxes stop rain. The science is proven.

No, but taxes pay for infrastructure improvements that can help mitigate the negative consequences of ever-increasing extreme weather events. The science is proven.

Man, I wish taxes could stop disassociative delerium.

Wait....they could, if only we treated psychological health with the same importance assigned to physical health.

One can dream.

PS: How much in taxes did you pay last year? How much income, if any, did you shelter from taxation?
Do you pay your full dues since you're so concerned with where the money goes?

I mean these storm water upgrades can funded through the normal tax base LIKE EVERY OTHER PROJECT. No need for a new tax. There is a reason all thew downtown councilors are in favor of this tax because it is a tax on people with large properties.

After a second flood in parts of this city in a month, maybe it's a good time to remind Torontonians who voted againt a revised stormwater policy just last year.

View attachment 153783

Photo: Alex Irving

Toronto has opted, after years of study, to not follow Mississauga’s lead with a dedicated levy to help pay the huge and rising costs of stormwater runoff and basement flooding protection.

Mayor John Tory’s executive committee on Tuesday shelved indefinitely, at his urging, a city staff proposal to go back to stakeholders for more consultations and then, in 2019, give councillors options for a stormwater charge.

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2017/05/16/toronto-flushes-plan-for-stormwater-fee.html

This should be turned into an election issue and thrown in his face at every opportunity. Instead, not even a tweet about it from Keesmaat. Why?

Back