News   Apr 24, 2024
 953     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 620     0 

Toronto Municipal Election 2018: Mayor’s Race

I know for sure that Scarborough will be a Tory landslide. Maybe I am wrong, but despite all of the media talk about Keesmaat being a threat to Tory, it won't be the case.

However, John Tory is more on the PROGRESSIVE side of the Progressive Conservatives. John used to be an assistant to Premier Bill Davis. John knows how to get things done.

Bland works.

Fiscal conservative... non-binding, no benefits. hahaha.

In 2017, Toronto taxpayers spent thousands to send officials to Italy to sign a non-binding deal. City officials couldn't name a single benefit from the agreement, one of 16 signed or renewed since John Tory became mayor.

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...n-binding-deal-with-no-specific-benefits.html

Yeah, this seems silly.

And yet, I'm reminded nearly every time I read a financial statement that marketing departments are one of the largest departments in many companies presumably because they work. If they didn't an upstart without marketing spend overhead would smoke the established firm. Even Tesla, which prides itself on $0 advertising dollars, spends $60M+/year try to control the narrative on social media. Marketing/awareness is a long-term game; a single ad/event almost never closes a sale but cumulative exposure seems to do something useful.

In short, my opinion is this isn't a good use of funds but I'm also not qualified to provide a skilful opinion on that matter.

Last edited:
I think Tory really welcomes less councillors and I think he hopes he is rewarded with a strong mayor system.

Brought on by herself. When the suburbs wanted transit or better urban built form, she did nothing. Even progressives in the burbs won't be voting for her.

That's false. She implemented the Avenues zoning plan, which is transforming streets primarily in the suburbs. She's the reason that Scarborough is getting two LRT lines ON TOP of the subway extension.

Hate to say this, but Keesmaat should have made a play for Kouvalis's involvement in her campaign- Kouvalis plays dirty, but he does know how to do a negative campaign well.

Well, that'd be one way to lose my vote. Whore yourself out to gain power? Pffft, next.

Both John Tory and Doug Ford are Progressive Conservatives.

However, John Tory is more on the PROGRESSIVE side of the Progressive Conservatives. John used to be an assistant to Premier Bill Davis. John knows how to get things done.

Doug Ford is more on the CONSERVATIVE side of the Progressive Conservatives. Only because of nepotism because Doug's father, Douglas Ford Sr., was a one-term backbencher on the the Mike Harris government. No real non-nepotism work on Doug Ford Jr.'s part.

No offense but the whole "John Tory is conservative but there's good somewhere deep inside" rhetoric is pure bullshit and that's how we ended up with Ford or the Tory himself in the first place. There's no such thing as a progressive conservative, that's a misnomer created to fool shallow voters into vote for them while pushing the exact same despicable agenda. I'm sure Tory in his private life is just as misogynistic and racist as his buddy Nick Kouvalis or whatever.

No offense but the whole "John Tory is conservative but there's good somewhere deep inside" rhetoric is pure bullshit and that's how we ended up with Ford or the Tory himself in the first place. There's no such thing as a progressive conservative, that's a misnomer created to fool shallow voters into vote for them while pushing the exact same despicable agenda. I'm sure Tory in his private life is just as misogynistic and racist as his buddy Nick Kouvalis or whatever.

A large part of how we ended up with Ford and Tory having massive support is because the "progressive" Left in this City had a growing socio-economic bias that didn't support the real needs and wishes of our most racialized communities. This political group didn't feel they had to listen, because they have the power to control the narrative and talk over real concerns to tell people what is best.

Don't get me wrong Tory and Ford have opportunistically exploited this thru Kouvalis for gain. And good for them as it shouldn't exist. Because when your telling low income minorities what's best for them, instead of listening to address issues in a detailed manner that residents in our most neglected areas can agree too, well then your by far the most racist party. The Left in this City did it to themselves and will need to change from the inside-out mentality that gave the voter apathy the Conservatives tapped into. When a Ford owns the vote of some of the Citys most ethnically diverse communities you have done something drastically wrong. No excuses. Many on this site may not agree, but it is what it is and agree or not voter apathy exists in high numbers in this City and will continue to have a voice until no longer required for large numbers.

Tory was lucky to sneak past this apathy into the Mayor seat and has done fantastic join to spit hairs between this lack of respect and not go too far into Ford Nation territory were large groups of apathetic voters are happy someone will act as their middle finger. He's put up with BS from both sides and to call the guy who actually shows up in all these diverse communities many times a year to talk and show support to us a racist is a complete joke.

Last edited:

Pffft. Sure. I happened to know a neighbour of his at 1 Bedford and Tory is most certainly not a racist misogynist.

First of all, the arrogance in presupposing that there is no such thing as a good conservative is a bit much.

Second of all, there is indeed such a thing as a progressive conservative. David Orchard was a prime example. Michael Chong is a great contemporary one.

I know a lot of you like to look at sociopolitical issues in a sad binary light, but that's just not how the world works.

Nothing good is possible when the world is divided into two overly simplified tribes of minimal substance.

Well, that'd be one way to lose my vote. Whore yourself out to gain power? Pffft, next.

Hey, no one said sausage-making was pretty.

I wonder who Keesmaat could look at to help run her campaign. Needs to be a brawler able to counter a negative campaign by Kouvalis, who I bet will attempt to paint her as another Olivia Chow.

As Toronto flooded out all over the place last night leaving behind another expensive cleanup, remember that John Tory blocked a council-directed study into a stormwater charge last term.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...-in-water-after-storm-soaks-toronto-1.4777269

Toronto has opted, after years of study, to not follow Mississauga’s lead with a dedicated levy to help pay the huge and rising costs of stormwater runoff and basement flooding protection.

Mayor John Tory’s executive committee on Tuesday shelved indefinitely, at his urging, a city staff proposal to go back to stakeholders for more consultations and then, in 2019, give councillors options for a stormwater charge.

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2017/05/16/toronto-flushes-plan-for-stormwater-fee.html

Let's hope this comes off the shelf with the next council, or at the very least, discussed during some majority debate.

Hey, no one said sausage-making was pretty.

On the contrary, sausage-making is very pretty, kinda fun, and delicious. Self-abasement in order to attain power is none of those.

I wonder who Keesmaat could look at to help run her campaign. Needs to be a brawler able to counter a negative campaign by Kouvalis, who I bet will attempt to paint her as another Olivia Chow.

Yeah, it can be a brawler, just perhaps someone with a bit of class and who might agree with her worldview for the most part.

That really is a bit much.

Aside from being a very over-the-top assault on Tory when critiquing his timidity and lack of willingness to raise taxes above inflation would be much fairer and more justified.......

The term Progressive Conservative is a result of renewal of the Federal Party during WWII w/the election of the leader of the Manitoba Progressive Party as leader of the then Conservatives.

It should be said the party's name when John A. was first elected was the Liberal Conservative Party.

The party's Ontario version is responsible for the creation of OHIP, expansion of low-cost post-secondary education, significant spending on mass transit, and public housing.

While the Federal Party, of Brian Mulroney no less, was honoured with the Greenest Government award. (owes much of that to Lucien Bouchard who was a committed green.)

A fairer criticism would be that the party from Frank Miller forward in Ontario has been much less progressive, like wise the now Conservative Party of Canada' at the federal level.

There are progressives in both parties, but they certainly are not the driving force.

Regardless it is entirely possible to be a classic conservative (progress should be slow and measured, history revered, budgets balanced etc.)

While also being a progressive (being socially inclusive, open to change, valuing the environment and honouring social obligations)

I'll grant we don't see enough of that, but we do a great disservice to politics if we rule out its possibility.

Last edited:

Back