Toronto Mount Sinai Hospital Renewal | ?m | ?s | BBB

Baird, a first-rate second rater-..I am sure UofT sorts might disagree.. ?

However, the connection to the hospital images makes me wonder..wtf? :)

p5

A reference to Baird's past analyses of Toronto architecture, with particular reference to Mount Sinai as an archetype...

From Adam Vaughan's Newsletter:

Mount Sinai Hospital is proposing to build a 5 storey medical research facility across from the Orde Street School at 25 Orde Street. The proposed building has been in the planning stages since 2006. The purpose of this building is medical research and will remove this function from the hospital’s main site and be convenient to the hospital’s other facility at 60 Murray Street.

The most significant issue for this proposal is the shadowing on the Orde Street School and playground. This original proposal has been redrawn to reduce shadowing on the school and the new proposal is a stepped up version with the front half of the shorter building giving less shadow to the school playground. This has resulted in an increase of two floors taller on the back building. The building face is also pushed farther back from the edge of the well used parkette on the corner. The issue of expansion of institutional use on University Avenue was discussed as well as concerns related to the increase in noise and light pollution. The building will use McCaul for trucks and vehicles loading and making deliveries.

This application needs to be resubmitted to Planning Department and there will be another community meeting, possibly at Orde Street Public School to follow.

Taken from my roof this morning:

DSCN0119.jpg

DSCN0120.jpg

August 3rd

PICT1792.jpg

I don't know what I think of the cladding changing to a 200 Bloor E Manulife extension paraphrase...

I think the new part clashes too much with the old part. But I'll withhold my final decision until this project is completed :)

Back