Toronto Motion On Bay Street | ?m | 29s | Concert | IBI Group

Toronto's getting Earls, Cactus Club, Milestones, Shark Club, Moxie's, now Denny's.
Geez, maybe we can keep the Chevrons to ourselves...

I really don't get what the big deal about Earls' tried ... nothing special whatsoever ... had the same opinion of Joey's from out west.

Toronto's getting Earls, Cactus Club, Milestones, Shark Club, Moxie's, now Denny's.
Geez, maybe we can keep the Chevrons to ourselves...

Like Denny's is a prize? It's just some Middle America production line factory food joint. Anyway, they have been in Toronto in the past, and there are 4 of them in the 905 municipalities that circle the city already. A decade or more ago that we had at least one in the 416 but that it/they all closed. I do remember the Grand Slam Breakfast somewhat fondly, but any other meal there? Meh.

There seems to be a strange fetishizing of American chain retail and restaurants in Ontario for some reason. A case of the grass is greener? I don't understand it, since it's usually just as uninspiring as the stuff we get from Canadian chains.

There seems to be a strange fetishizing of American chain retail and restaurants in Ontario for some reason. A case of the grass is greener? I don't understand it, since it's usually just as uninspiring as the stuff we get from Canadian chains.

Exactly ! If not worse I've come to find ! Local restaurants are 1000s of times better / more diverse / unique / ...

In Vancouver, Denny's holds a similar position in the university memories as I think Fran's held for Torontonians.
Being 24 hours, it was always the "go to" place for late night food.
Nowadays, there are a lot of 24 hour places (i.e. Tim Horton's, McDonald's, various pizza places) - so there's a dilution of the affinity for the place.

Last edited:
19 January 2013:

20130119162822.jpg

Damn, the sheer amount of spandrel just makes that podium distasteful. I almost just want to avoid looking at it. It is a shame too considering the tower portion looks quite nice.

Nevermind a new developer building a rental project, I don't see anyone having an issue with the current massing. It's the finishes they don't like. Whose to say the point tower on a one to two storey podium would have had better quality finishes. The urban form certainly doesn't compliment what has been built with One City Hall and the Ryerson business school. We're better off with what we got but, oh no, it's not at least 50 storeys tall.

Back