Toronto Motion On Bay Street | ?m | 29s | Concert | IBI Group

Most developers in toronto here have made a fortune, with all the cost cutting.

They've done well. Where the billionaires made the most was their property holdings. It's probable to pocket ten million dollars profit for a postage sized downtown lot purchased since the last bottoming out.

What I meant was it's not an offensive building. It's better than the Rogers biz building, the Atrium on Bay & nearby '80s condos, the Eaton Centre, Dundas Square, many of those hotel & condo buildings around Centre St, better than City Hall (or at least way more urban & open to the world), and other area buildings built between 1950 & 2004.

I really like the Rogers School of Business (though I was less than enthusiastic about it as it was being constructed), I'm a big fan of One City Hall and I don't dislike the Atrium on Bay - it's just kind of there. This building looks like it's shaping up to be a fine addition to this area. Drab old Bay Street north of City Hall up to Bloor Street sure has changed for the better in the past 5 or 6 years, with a few more promising projects yet to come.

What I meant was it's not an offensive building. It's better than the Rogers biz building, the Atrium on Bay & nearby '80s condos, the Eaton Centre, Dundas Square, many of those hotel & condo buildings around Centre St, better than City Hall (or at least way more urban & open to the world), and other area buildings built between 1950 & 2004.

Some of the pre-1950 buildings pale in comparison, though a good powerwash would fix that right up.

570BayRend-ConcertProp.jpg

Seems to be shaping up just like the rendering.
The framing of the "busy" spandrel areas helps to contain it -
I like it better than 300 Front.

looking good! Nice updates today, someMidTowner.....:)

I see this building almost every day and I must say, I love it! It adds some much needed colour to the area, but it's not overdone. In person, all the hues and tones match up wonderfully and the black brick framing around the lower portion adds some constraint. I can't wait to see the cladding reach up to where I can see it from my window.

This building has really grown on me. I had my doubts at the beginning but it is turning out quite nicely. The usage of spandrel is effective, and creates subtle but appealing visual interest. The cladding is definitely more attractive than the nearby YWCA Elm Centre. I think its largest contribution is the bold streetwalls that establish a sense of solidarity to an intersection that has felt incomplete for so long. On a side note, this stretch of Dundas between Bay and University has seen a revitalization in recent years with many new restaurants opening up. Hopefully this building can also attract some interesting retail as well.

In person it's not bad ... but I would have preferred a simple replication of the smaller tower to the west ... its more elegant I find.

Back