News   Jul 17, 2024
 464     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.3K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 612     0 

Toronto/Montreal comparisons (ain't pretty...)

I know both towns well. I disagree with you. I think when I weigh the negatives and positives of each (and that includes the people) they come out about equal. At this point in time I feel that Toronto holds the future, though, even with Ford the goof in control.

I agree. Both are about equal and have great things going for themselves, but Toronto is definitely the city of the future.

Montréal is in the planning stage for the return of tramways on its streets. Why? Because it will move more people than buses and improve transit.

Toronto's mayor wants to get rid of its streetcars. Why? Because he does not like them when he is driving in his SUV.

I know both towns well. I disagree with you. I think when I weigh the negatives and positives of each (and that includes the people) they come out about equal. At this point in time I feel that Toronto holds the future, though, even with Ford the goof in control.

And so do I....I grew up in Montreal and now live in Toronto. I have a lot of friends and family there and travel there frequently. It really depends what you're looking at. If you're looking at jobs, wealth, power, etc.. then Toronto wins.... Toronto's still a cold, lifeless city, in search of an identity with a huge inferiority complex, IMO....and that's more important to me.

And so do I....I grew up in Montreal and now live in Toronto. I have a lot of friends and family there and travel there frequently. It really depends what you're looking at. If you're looking at jobs, wealth, power, etc.. then Toronto wins.... Toronto's still a cold, lifeless city, in search of an identity with a huge inferiority complex, IMO....and that's more important to me.

Rehashing stereotypes from the 1970s are doing nobody a favour. Toronto is most definitely not a cold, lifeless city. Go walk around the city a bit, and I can assure you it has more 'life' than Montreal has. People may be colder, but I don't understand why that's a problem. I'm generally not interested in talking with strangers on the road.

Isn't amazing how you get what you look for? Want cold people, you can find 'em. Myself, I know a lot of very lovely people here. I find them, or, maybe they find me. But have it your way, I don't care.

Rehashing stereotypes from the 1970s are doing nobody a favour. Toronto is most definitely not a cold, lifeless city. Go walk around the city a bit, and I can assure you it has more 'life' than Montreal has. People may be colder, but I don't understand why that's a problem. I'm generally not interested in talking with strangers on the road.

Thanks for proving my point. By the way, it's an opinion. You're entitled to yours and I'm entitled to mine.

Isn't amazing how you get what you look for? Want cold people, you can find 'em. Myself, I know a lot of very lovely people here. I find them, or, maybe they find me. But have it your way, I don't care.

Hmmm, I guess all the stuffy retirees in Kingston must be drawn to you somehow too then eh?

Montreal is and will always be better than Toronto and it has to do with the people living in the city.

I like Toronto for its energy and potential. I like Montreal for its sense of self which is always so damn attractive, in people and cities.

I have met lovely people in Toronto as well... I still stand by my opinion.

Really? When I was there I saw lots of hunky military students jogging around, cafe tables and pubs full of Queens students, lots of families and well yes lots of bus tour seniors but overall it felt like a nice busy little town centre in a gorgeous lakeside setting. Just saying.

Really? When I was there I saw lots of hunky military students jogging around, cafe tables and pubs full of Queens students, lots of families and well yes lots of bus tour seniors but overall it felt like a nice busy little town centre in a gorgeous lakeside setting. Just saying.

So, go and enjoy!

Today I struck up conversation with FIVE strangers. FIVE.

Walking around people saw my Arsenal jersey and started talking about football with me 2 just today, 2 others yesterday (different jersey). Other guy asked me what was playing in my headphones, and gave me a free bottle of water when the debit machine at his coffee shop malfunctioned. Another man, an older Italian guy, had a conversation with me by the lake about bilingualism, kayaks, and music.

After I went to the police to see if someone had turned in the keys I lost, I asked the officer if he knew any good places around for french toasts, we talked for a bit about the area and whatnot.

Women are very sexually conservative, yes, I'm the first one to complain about that, but that's really where the 'coldness' ends. At least in the cosmopolitan areas.

Toronto has more warm, friendly and outgoing people than Montreal has people.
If you can't find them, that's your fault.
That's my opinion.

I don't even think Montrealers would characterize their populace as warm and friendly. Less uptight maybe, but definitely not friendlier. One thing I actually noticed about Toronto when I moved back was that people will actually strike up conversations with complete strangers on the street etc. -as long as there's no pressure to hook-up, Torontonians are actually very friendly and relaxed.

Last edited:

Back