Mississauga Mississauga Transitway | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | IBI Group

Can some explain to me why it's so expensive?

I think I'm missing details regarding to what exactly is being built but isn't it ... in effect, just a dedicated bus lane?

Are they adding a lane onto streets / hi-ways ??

Or just painting a thinker line and putting signs up : - )

Yes and building a few new stations.

It's effectively an entire new road parallel to the 403, Eastgate and Eglinton. There will be bridges and / or tunnels over roads in the Eglinton / Eastgate half, and fairly large terminals on the 403 half.

Google Ottawa's transitway to get a better visual reference.

Ohh! I get it now : - ) thanks ... yea I can understand that price now.

This can easily be converted to an LRT when the time permits correct?

In theory you could lay rail on it (and they should), but the planning wasn't really designed for it. The idea behind the transitway is to have buses pickup people in all corners of the city and then take the express route to Square One and the subway. I believe it will be successful at this.

But, since there isn't much development potential for the line west of Square One, a line that can't leave the corridor might not be very successful.

The Transitway by itself works better as BRT, since the buses do not necessarily have to stay on it. Remember, GO is planning to use the Transitway as well.

However, once the regional GTA-wide BRT system is complete, including the 407 Transitway, it might make sense to convert the system to rail.

Not the way they are building it now regardless of the claim it can be. The turning radius in place would be as the current TTC system.

The Transitway by itself works better as BRT, since the buses do not necessarily have to stay on it. Remember, GO is planning to use the Transitway as well.

However, once the regional GTA-wide BRT system is complete, including the 407 Transitway, it might make sense to convert the system to rail.

GO and LRT or what every can use the same system. Where it will be an issues is at stations, but you will have 2 tracks to allow bypass for buses or another LRT.

To convert this BRT to LRT 20 years or so down the road is no simple matter. You have to tear up the road 100% as well the bridge deck to put the tracks in and that is big $$. Sure this can be redone when it comes to rebuilting any road over time.

In many places you will have to rebuilt as well relocate to another area to get LRT in due to lack of radius for turning unless you plan on using TTC intercity LRT's.

This BRT is a GO thing, not an MT thing and trying to justified as anything else is a mistake. Call it as it is, a mistake from the 60's with GO not wanting another rail line to run in competition with the Lakeshore line.

The 22 buses coming in 2010 by Metrolinx will replace 22 Orion VI. So much for additional buses been added to the fleet.

Tender or add on for the remaining 20 Orion VI is to be place shortly for delivery this year??

Starting in 2008, the provincial government is spreading their cost for new buses and replacement over 12 year life cycle, not a lump sum up front as in the past. This means the city now has an extra debit to finance yearly since the have to pay the full cost up front at time of delivery.

There was a great debate today of not proceeding with the 403 BRT as to where is the money going from to come to pickup the extra $52m overrun. Until that money is found outside of Mississauga, the BRT should stay on hold was the call by a number of councilors. The city has generated interest on the money given to it by government, but a drop in the bucket.

It was said there is an already saving of $5m in consulting fee's now that the tender has close. Still leaves $42m+ to be found yet.

This project may come to a halt once the tenders come in for building it later on this year. I expect to see a nice cost overrun.

That money would service existing transit a lot better as well pay the way for an LRT on Hurontario now.

A lot of flip flopping took place on council as the debate took place.

The city is building a new pedestrian/bicycle tunnel on the west side of Mississauga Rd under the CN tracks as part of the GO 3rd rail expansion. This will cost $2.35 m with GO picking up some of the cost.

Funding shortfall could halt transit plan
By: Radhika Panjwani

February 4, 2009 05:58 PM - The wheels of a proposed Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) – a new bus-only roadway along the Hwy. 403 corridor and Eglinton Ave. – will be stuck unless the City can find additional funds to continue the project.

Mayor Hazel McCallion – an avid supporter of the BRT – remained optimistic funding would come through and that too much work had gone into the planning to abandon it midstream.

The $259-million project, a collaboration between the City of Mississauga, the Province, GO Transit and the federal government, is currently facing a $52-million shortfall – and unless Queen's Park or Ottawa pick up the tab, the project may face hurdles down the road.

At a general committee meeting today, councillors were told the design was in place and that the City was planning to enter into an agreement with GO to discuss its share of funding.

The City has received $65 million from Queen's Park and Ottawa has contributed $83 million. But because of the delay with the federal funding, the estimated costs have gone up.

“I really believe we'll overcome the shortfall,” McCallion said. “All the studies that have been done have demonstrated the need for it (BRT). I think the province will be amenable to the problem of funding especially since GO Transit is involved and the Province owns GO Transit.”

The BRT is expected to be up and running by 2012. When completed, it will be a high-efficiency, 100-kilometre dedicated bus corridor connecting municipalities across the GTA, from Oakville to Pickering.

“I can't tell you how many of the businesses that have moved into Mississauga, especially to the east end of the city, are counting on this (BRT) tremendously,” said Ward 3 Councillor Maja Prentice. “Yes, we have some issues with funding now, but I believe we have to work to get additional funding. This is not something to make the city pretty, this is about an efficient transportation system.”

Ward 11 Councillor George Carlson said all the funds should be in place before the City starts digging.

Source

Mississauga council gives green light to bus line

Peter Kuitenbrouwer, National Post Published: Thursday, February 05, 2009
Mississauga city council voted yesterday to continue building a bus rapid transit line across the city, even though Mayor Hazel McCallion says the project is short $52-million.

Mississauga and GO Transit plan to build two bus-only lanes paralleling Highway 403 and other thoroughfares from Winston Church-ill Boulevard in the west to Renforth Drive, near Pearson Airport, in the east, set to open in 2012.

Yesterday, as the councillors debated signing a deal with GO Transit to build the line, the mayor warned of funding shortfalls.

"Has there been any discussion with GO Transit on the $52-million we are short?" Ms. McCallion asked Scott Anderson, who works for Mississauga's transportation department.

"We're pursuing other opportunities for funding," Mr. Anderson replied.

About a year ago, the city, province and Ottawa agreed to spend $260-million on the line. The feds and province each pay about $87-million; Mississauga and GO committed $43-million each. The true cost is now about $312-million, Mississauga says.

Councillor Carolyn Parrish suggested the city focus on bringing light rail to Hurontario and Dundas streets, and stop work on the BRT plan until it gets full funding.

"I don't believe in putting the foundation when we don't have the money to put the roof on," she said. "It is for moving people from north Oakville into Toronto. Why are we so ready to let the federal government and the province walk all over our heads?"

But the best mixed metaphors belonged to her fellow councillor, George Carlson.

"It's almost as if we bought a doghouse 10 years ago and it's bugging the hell out of us, and so we'd better go out and buy a dog," Mr. Carlson said.

"It's as if we got the band booked and the cake ordered, we're going to have to show up with a bride. I just want to make sure we don't get painted into a corner."

Councillor Maja L. A. Prentice defended the line, saying, "RIM [Research in Motion] would not have moved to Mississauga if this were not in the works. This is something to make an efficient transportation network. I'm willing to gamble that we spend the $52-million."

Councillor Katie Mahoney agreed to proceed, noting, "I think the dog's an old dog now and the married couple are thinking about divorce --it's too late."

Mississauga has awarded $22-million to McCormick Rankin Corp. for design plans and administering the construction.

Jeff Wright at Mississauga's BRT office said the city will tender construction contracts next year for tunnels, bridges, bus stations and 10.5 km of new roads. Both GO Transit and Mississsauga Transit will use the new line.

Transportation advocate David Fisher called the project a "white elephant," and agreed with Ms. Parrish that Mississauga would benefit much more from light rail.

Council voted 7-4 to proceed with the project.

pkuitenbrouwer@nationalpost.com

“I can't tell you how many of the businesses that have moved into Mississauga, especially to the east end of the city, are counting on this (BRT) tremendously,â€

Those businesses should have located to an area with high-quality transit already in place, not just the promise of transit in the future.

Those businesses should have located to an area with high-quality transit already in place, not just the promise of transit in the future.

When I talked to various land owner in 2004, 90% had no idea a transit system was going to be built beside them at all. They will believe it once it open if it will help them

The owners/mangers went on to say that major of the employees came from the east end of Toronto as well from the north and this transit plan would not get them out of their cars.

The airport and businesses "Does" not have good transit.

The Meadowvalle businesses Area "Has POOR" transit service. Add Ridgeway area to this list.

The Airport Corporation Centre "has some Good" Transit Service.

This transitway is a complete waste of money that could be better spent on other transit options, such as LRT on Dundas and Hurontario. It's so ridiculous.

This transitway is a complete waste of money that could be better spent on other transit options, such as LRT on Dundas and Hurontario. It's so ridiculous.

That is so true. Hurontario and Dundas Sts are extremely congested while the transitway is really an addition.

Back