Toronto Mirvish Village (Honest Ed's Redevelopment) | 85.04m | 26s | Westbank | Henriquez Partners

This area is possibly my favourite in the city. I may have a bias having lived in the area at one point, but regardless. Especially when Mirvish Village was still open, the area was very vibrant with a lot of fun shops and street life.

I find that this area always brings back fond memories of being in my early 20's. The first Snakes & Lattes (which set the trend for board game cafes), the original Victory Cafe location in Mirvish Village, the original Green Room, the original Tilt arcade bar location, various karaoke places, endless selection of restaurants in both directions, etc were/are all here.

Last edited:
I find that this area always brings back fond memories of being in my early 20's. The first Snakes & Lattes (which set the trend for board game cafes), the original Victory Cafe location in Mirvish Village, the original Green Room, the original Tilt arcade bar location, various karaoke places, endless selection of restaurants in both directions, etc were/are all here.

I have a fondness for the hood too, even if I have a virulent dislike of Karaoke!

Though I never did understand the fascination some had with with the Green Room; best I could tell it had one cool feature, the entrance off the alley.

Otherwise it was comparatively ugly dive w/watery drinks ....

To me the area was about the Bloor Cinema, Lee's Palace, the By the Way Cafe, Serra, and Book City!

I have a fondness for the hood too, even if I have a virulent dislike of Karaoke!

Though I never did understand the fascination some had with with the Green Room; best I could tell it had one cool feature, the entrance off the alley.

Otherwise it was comparatively ugly dive w/watery drinks ....

To me the area was about the Bloor Cinema, Lee's Palace, the By the Way Cafe, Serra, and Book City!

Yeah, a major part of the Green Room experience was the back alley entrance. Sort of like how "Cold Tea" in Kensington Market has an entrance at the end of the mall hallway. It's a novelty factor but admittedly it's something that fades over time as one matures and get past the dive-going days. The Paupers Pub rooftop patio is still decent in the summer time.

Seems like for students nowadays, the "El Furniture Warehouse" has taken over as the hangout spot now that the Brunny and the original Green Room are gone.

Green room, victory cafe, paupers, Karaoke, Lee’s palace, new generation sushi, late night poutine from smokes, and Christie pits were my stomping grounds in university. Spent a ton of time in the area.

Last edited:
20191213_162441.jpg
20191213_162448.jpg
20191213_162522.jpg

Dec 15
Lot more up on my site.
Was supposed to start of the day with this site, but end up doing later in the day than plan. In some way it turn out to be a good move. After shooting to south and west side, move to the Bloor area and ran into a crowd of people at Bathurst and look like they were coming from a sale. As I hit Markham St, ran into another crowd with police on hand and Ellisdon personal. Ellisdon and others were handing out Turkeys that supposed to be one to a family, with a number people getting 2 and more. I ended up with a free bird and put it in my backpack that weight about 10 lbs. Did some shooting and was asked a number of times if I wanted a bird since they didn't see the one in my backpack and said no. Now, if it wasn't for the fact I would be carrying 20 lbs or more around for another 3 hours + while photographing and planning on stopping off for supper before heading home, as well being honest, could had got the 2nd bird. Wasn't aware of the free give away and there was a huge sign saying this at the gate.
49244708027_a0550a63b0_b.jpg

49244493276_e4d26f62ff_b.jpg

49244707602_da3040458f_b.jpg

49244494331_917cf5c3b0_b.jpg

49244497726_709d8950bd_b.jpg

49244714662_cc726d5309_b.jpg

49244716532_21b9b267e5_b.jpg

49244502526_0acf4a6c70_b.jpg

49244720847_4af1f159c3_b.jpg

49244509566_2d0e867d2e_b.jpg

49244509806_d3342f54da_b.jpg

49244510041_22b7c29f08_b.jpg

49244727387_2a372c5037_b.jpg

49244518101_ca6f5419f8_b.jpg

49244048598_b3107a4e3c_b.jpg

Federal government announces $200M for affordable rentals in Toronto’s Mirvish Village

By Nicole Thompson The Canadian Press

TORONTO – The federal government committed $200 million for affordable rental units at the former site of an iconic department store in Toronto on Thursday, with Social Development Minister Ahmed Hussen saying the money will ensure the project stays true to its roots.

----------------

They will include 916 rental units – 366 of which will be designated affordable, costing no more than one-third of the median income in Toronto. Of those, 100 will be secured at 80 per cent of the average market rate in Toronto – far less than the going price in the centrally located, transit-accessible downtown neighbourhood.

The affordable units will be scattered throughout the development so they have the same quality and design as their market-rate counterparts, Hussen said.

The 1/3 median income units are interesting. If it’s individual median income than you are talking around $830 per month in rent. If it’s family median income around $1800 per month. Those are good rates especially for new build units but it also depends what kind of unit we are talking about: 2 bedroom? 1 bedroom? Bachelor unit?

My contribution to area nostalgia: $6.50 pitchers at the dance cave!

The family median income in Toronto in 2017 was about $83,000. Thirty per cent of that is $2,075 a month, which is negligibly less than market rates. We need rent geared to income and social housing, not this somewhat twisted notion of affordability.

Back