Mississauga Mirage Condos | ?m | 22s | Conservatory Group

Jasonzed

Member Bio
Reaction score
Confederation and Rathburn. The sales office should be opening soon.

http://www.conservatorygroup.com/
20101118048.jpg

20101118049.jpg

If anyone wants to talk about developers only in it for the money I'd put Conservatory Group at the top of the list. More crap by them. Thankfully I'm far removed from Mississauga.

Just being a devil's advocate here: could it be that they are producing so called "crap" because they are cutting cost/corners in order to satisfy a certain segment of the market? Not every one can afford the >$300/sqf that other condos are going for.

No, the scale and basic form of the building are all wrong. That sidewalk will remain a terrible desolate place. This is poor design, not cheapening.

Just being a devil's advocate here: could it be that they are producing so called "crap" because they are cutting cost/corners in order to satisfy a certain segment of the market? Not every one can afford the >$300/sqf that other condos are going for.

Good design can be done on the cheap. Architects don't have to revert to conservative and crappy architectural choices when the budget is small. In fact, low budgets have led to some of the most creative responses to design we get! Lots of social housing projects (among others) are great examples of this.

Don't excuse developers being cheap-asses. There's plenty of social housing that looks better than this, and likely have better interior spaces.

Just when you think Missassauga has turned the corner in terms of urbanity/design, it ends up taking 2 steps back.

I think it's safe to add "E.I. Richmond" to the threat title btw. Unless I'm having my own little cabin-fever-induced "mirage" over here, it looks like their work, and they are generally the go-to architects for Conservatory Group.

Good design can be done on the cheap. Architects don't have to revert to conservative and crappy architectural choices when the budget is small. In fact, low budgets have led to some of the most creative responses to design we get! Lots of social housing projects (among others) are great examples of this.

Don't excuse developers being cheap-asses. There's plenty of social housing that looks better than this, and likely have better interior spaces.

While true, there's more to that equation. One of the reasons that social housing and some rental projects get more imaginative designs is that they don't have to sell units. Investors (and some end users) just want simple square footage and damn the details. It's surely not the way to build the best city, but it does make sense from a real estate finance point of view. Seeing as many of the units being marketed and constructed today are for an investor market, it's hardly surprising that we get the sort of stock we do.

Investors (and some end users) just want simple square footage and damn the details.

Very true. Condo buyers and real estate folks generally have very conservative taste. Which is why I do appreciate when a developer seeks to challenge them a bit and create something better for them at the same time. Ah well!

Back