Mississauga Mirage Condos | ?m | 22s | Conservatory Group

Good design can be done on the cheap. Architects don't have to revert to conservative and crappy architectural choices when the budget is small. In fact, low budgets have led to some of the most creative responses to design we get! Lots of social housing projects (among others) are great examples of this.

But wouldn't being on the cheap mean hiring heap designers/architects (who might spend the minimum effort on a design given the price or could even just recycle some old design) ?

That's a possibility, yes. Note how I said "good design can be done on the cheap". With unskilled architects, no it can't. But it's possible if good architects are hired.

Architecture is a competitive business. There are lots of good architecture firms out there who could affordably design a great building. I don't buy the idea that it's ever necessary to hire a crappy architect.

But yes, that would explain these developers' choices in many cases. There are other things at play: not just the cost the architect is charging but also the type of setup (design-build, architect-as-coordinator etc.), their connections, etc.

from today
DSCF8921_zpsdc183c64.jpg

Its only taken 20+ years to get these towers built. Tower 3 has yet to come market for sell.

March 10

This site can handle more than the 3 plan towers and too bad it lack vision.
8553141468_805c5ee2dc_b.jpg

8552039719_454128726c_b.jpg

What really should be going here are beautiful modern 4s walkups with some street-level retail. More generic suburban-style apartment blocks are not going to create an "urban" form at all.

You can't do that on Confederation Dr, as it on a hill for the 403 overpass. They could put in a small section beside the current tower, but not much else.

The last I remember about this project, the west side beside the existing single homes was to be townhouses and that was over 10 years ago.

There is a large section north of this lot beside the City View Dr and have no idea what the City is going to do with it. Wide enough for a development using the new entrance/exit for this development.

Back