Toronto Minto Westside | 68.88m | 20s | Minto Group | Wallman Architects

come back to the community with something more fitting with the neighbourhood.

This pic from Reve next door says it all, of whats around the hood.

Here are a couple of shots I took from the EcoSuite's masterbedroom balcony.

qvEZTm

It does say it all and says alot about your continued lack of understanding. The CityPlace high rises are to the southeast and distant on the east side of Spadina on Bremner and.....geee the reason you can actually see them is the fact that the planning regime on the west of spadina along Front and Wellington is generally 26-30m heights as a starting point. In fact, the new Globe and Mail Head office at the corner of Spadina/Front is being designed right now by KPMB as a mid-rise. Hmmmmmmm.

S'Bus

This pic from Reve next door says it all, of whats around the hood.

Let's hope not. Half your photo is taken up by CityPlace -- widely acknowledged to be an incipient ghetto, the next St. Jamestown. A whole new 'wrong side of the tracks', lacking in integration with the rest of the city. Rife with poor quality workmanship, and copy and paste architecture.

Sorry, "Look at the pretty lights!" is not a compelling argument. Let's focus on getting a better design that makes sense for the neighbourhood -- not some out-of=scale blight that we'll be stuck with for the next fifty years.

You should actually come down here and see it in reality. That would be a start.

Hahaha, Sherwin Williams is my paint store, the Wheat Sheaf is my drinking hole, St. Marys Church is my parish, and Amsterdam's is my brewery...not to mention that i have interests in a restaurant in the heart of your hood and not on the other side..

Hahaha, Sherwin Williams is my paint store, the Wheat Sheaf is my drinking hole, St. Marys Church is my parish, and Amsterdam's is my brewery...not to mention that i have interests in a restaurant in the heart of your hood and not on the other side..

So you say, but you still show a lack of understanding for the neighbourhood.

I dont think its a lack of understanding. Rather its a different vision. Things change! I think ultimately thats automations point. Liberty village has changed, yonge and sheppard has changed, yonge and eglinton has changed, yorkville has changed, why should this neighbourhood be any different? Some say its not the change but the proposal. If thats true then most I believe would understand that. But most from the outside instead believe its simply NIMBYism...

Last edited:
So you say, but you still show a lack of understanding for the neighbourhood.

What im saying is that, no matter what gets proposed here will always be too tall...its not about bulk or design anymore, its about the 30-35 meter height limit that certain area residents are keen in holding the developers and city hostage to the outdated King-Spadina Secondary Plan, (that truthfully makes no sense in areas of the same plan).
Come-on, if Cesar Pelli or even Santiago Calatrava came down there with a state-of-the-art plan to build a 35-81 meter complex, it still wouldnt fly with the area residents living in a bubble.

What im saying is that, no matter what gets proposed here will always be too tall...its not about bulk or design anymore, its about the 30-35 meter height limit that certain area residents are keen in holding the developers and city hostage to the outdated King-Spadina Secondary Plan, (that truthfully makes no sense in areas of the same plan).

Since you haven't been paying any attention, it's not only about height, but also design. There are concerns about massing and the general slab and tower structure. There are concerns about traffic as well. The developers admitted at the community meeting (which you didn't attend) that they don't need to build nearly 1,000 units in order to generate a profit. They could not offer a clear reason as to why they thought their proposed height was appropriate as they contend.

As for your immense sympathy to those poor developers who must bend to the concept of a city plan, all I can suggest is that you have no understanding of the purpose of city planning. Only Ontario has a body such as the OMB which can override city council. The OMB is not a planning body, but it is used by developers to make defacto planning decisions. It's the OMB which has damaged planning efforts such as the K-S Secondary Plan. But why tell you this? If someone proposed a 300 metre tower of shit with lights on it, you'd be here backing it all the way because it's tall.

ome-on, if Cesar Pelli or even Santiago Calatrava came down there with a state-of-the-art plan to build a 35-81 meter complex, it still wouldnt fly with the area residents living in a bubble.

First of all AG, Pelli and Calatrava are not proposing anything here, so your thought is pointless. Second, your momentary fanboy attachment to some well-known architectural heavyweights is noted. Finally, regarding the residents, it's not a bubble, it's their neighbourhood. They live there and you don't. They would have to deal with the negatives of this bad development. Otherwise, your response comes off like a proponent of the neutron bomb with your concerns fixated on how those damn people get in the way of the building proposals you covet.

Last edited:

Back