Toronto Massey Tower Condos | 206.95m | 60s | MOD Developments | Hariri Pontarini

Why would they put the curvy ribbon effect on 3 sides and than just leave the side facing Dundas Square, very ordinary? I wonder what motivated that? I'd much prefer that all 4 sides have that cool effect.

Why would they put the curvy ribbon effect on 3 sides and than just leave the side facing Dundas Square, very ordinary? I wonder what motivated that? I'd much prefer that all 4 sides have that cool effect.

The 'curvy ribbon effect' are balconies. The South and North doesn't have balconies, hence why no 'curvy ribbon effect'. That's my understanding looking at the photos. It would look great for all sides to have the effect, but I'm satisfied with the effect fronting Yonge St., which is the most important part (in my opinion).

the north side being non-wavy/balcony free will look nicer/blend in more with Pantages tower,but ya, i do find the transition awkward from the wavy balconies to the flat curtain wall.

the north side being non-wavy/balcony free will look nicer/blend in more with Pantages tower,but ya, i do find the transition awkward from the wavy balconies to the flat curtain wall.

I wouldn't call it awkward, I'd call it abrupt as there's no transition at all. I'm not against it. Anyone who is familiar with it and looking at it will always know they're looking at the north wall then, and from which angle.

The 'curvy ribbon effect' are balconies. The South and North doesn't have balconies, hence why no 'curvy ribbon effect'. That's my understanding looking at the photos. It would look great for all sides to have the effect, but I'm satisfied with the effect fronting Yonge St., which is the most important part (in my opinion).

The south side has balconies.

If a particular location is desirable, people will pay a premium for living in it. I think it is fair. We should feel blessed that middle and up-middle class are willing to live in the core, shouldn't we? Poorer people can still have downtown, they just can't own any property. There are still any affordable apartment buildings downtown, and it is still possible for those who make less than 50K a year to live in the downtown core.
I think in general, downtown Toronto works pretty well. It is nowhere near prohibitively expensive to average people to live, like central Paris or Manhattan are.

hmmm, sounds like the sentiments of kkgg7

The curved north side of Massey echoes the curved north side of the Pantages Hotel, which is a block up. (Between the white curved balconies reprising the Eaton Centre towers and this nod to the Pantages, this building really takes its inspiration from the local context.)

cdr108 got it right - figaro was kkgg7

I'm going to pretend you didn't actually just say that. Both because I'm appalled at that opinion and that I dont want to derail this thread any further.

Just beware of 1) justifying the status quo by comparing us to prohibitively expensive cities like Paris (that have huge inequality issues... followed the news the last few years?) and 2) pretending that it's not getting any worse.

We could be like Detroit where the middle class and upper class fled dowtown to the suburbs, now it is real cheap to live downtown there. Is there a country where it is relatively in expensive to live in the downtown of there main city. Toronto will only get more expensive as demand is greater than supply. The only remedy I know of is to increase supply.

masseyj19.jpg

masseyj19b.jpg

It's commendable that they are going to preserve the original mosaic tile flooring in the lobby (Hadn't originally noticed the caduceus seen in androiduk's pic when I was there). Hope they do a proper restoration.

Back