Toronto Massey Tower Condos | 206.95m | 60s | MOD Developments | Hariri Pontarini

The website says 400m to the subway? It's like 40 feet to the Queen subway entrance on Yonge. This is my dream building to live in (or Shangri-la!).

The rumour/speculation/hope has long been One Bloor (even back when it was "1 Bloor"), and that would be an excellent site for a Canadian flagship store.

The rumour/speculation/hope has long been One Bloor (even back when it was "1 Bloor"), and that would be an excellent site for a Canadian flagship store.

although not on yonge, somewhere on bloor street would be pretty cool and classy imo.

I'd love to see a Uniqlo or Muji flagship store here.

Uniqlo, New York City

uniqlo_open_00.jpg

http://archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=5754

Muji, New York City

Muji6-480x236.png

http://accidentalepicurean.com/2009/07/the-wondrous-store-retail-experience-called-muji-tokyo-japan/

Last edited:
PoMo was a very sophisticated style, and there aren't a lot of really good examples. It degraded very quickly into a cheap, unsophisticated style, favoured by shopping plazas and big box centres. I don't really consider any of it "neo", as PoMo never really died...it just became a long, drawn-out affair of poor examples, that the "serious" architects mostly abandoned. Kind of like Rap & Hip Hop music.

I don't know the broader architectural trends in North America the way others here do. But it seems clear to me that here in Toronto we are seeing a trend, if not to neo-postmodern, then to post-neomodern. All those glass boxes by aA and friends were a wonderfully refreshing change from what came in the 10-20 years before. As others have said it is natural that people now start looking for something else. I guess buildings here are moving in 2 directions. One is a bolder use of colour and geometric form but still with minimal ornamentation, say modernism a la Koolhaas. The other is putting gewgaws on the top of your tower.

Last edited:
Muji or Uniqlo would be awesome here, let alone in Toronto.
The Moss store in SoHo is excellent (www.mossonline.com). I could picture something like that here.
I hope we get an upscale or world-class retailer here, not some second rate jeans and t-shirt store that plagues Yonge St.

Didn't realise the north side of Massey Tower was this 'rigid' until seeing the Typical Floor Plate below (I like it):

MasseyTowerFP.jpg

Also, I originally assumed the 'rounded' (south) side of the tower was the building face, whereas the geometry/form is actually created by the balcony railing (fritted glass perhaps?)

MasseyTowerFP1.jpg

Unfortunately, but no suprise in downtown Toronto, unit sizes range from a whopping 377 sq.ft. to 882 sq.ft. :rolleyes:

Also, I originally assumed the 'rounded' (south) side of the tower was the building face, whereas the geometry/form is actually created by the balcony railing (fritted glass perhaps?)

I though that was pretty clear in the renderings. You can see the shadows that the overhangs of the balconies cast on the floors below.

All those glass boxes by aA and friends were a wonderfully refreshing change from what came in the 10-20 years before.

We are liking the aA stuff, because they tend to have a high degree of contextual dialogue with the various styles of 20th century Toronto buildings they share space with. A little 60's parabolic swoopy here....a little 30's brick warehouse look there....add plenty of contemporary clean glass and somehow it "fits" into the surroundings. That's why our favourite ones, are the ones that inhabit areas where modern buildings should clash the most...like MOZO, or side streets running east of Young, with such diverse buildings side-by-side.

aA makes for a nice "variable" in a diverse environment. Create an entire Cityplace of aA, and I doubt we would be so impressed. People are already groaning about how all their designs are derivative as they become more ubiquitous on the Toronto landscape.

Can someone post a link to the rendering? I've looked back through this thread and can't seem to find it. Though I know it's somewhere since I see you're all talking about it!

There is no current rendering yet. What was posted a few pages back was an early version. We hear we should see things next week.

Back