Toronto Massey Tower Condos | 206.95m | 60s | MOD Developments | Hariri Pontarini

IMG_5017.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5017.JPG
    IMG_5017.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 3,646
Isn't that ramp (on the left, in the above photo) going to cause pedestrian flow issues throughout the site and the laneway? Why is a ramp even necessary at that location?

The ramp is, I believe, the handicapped access to the historic bank building next door at 205 Yonge Street (the front access of which is otherwise inaccessible to people in wheelchairs or with some other mobility issues due to the stairs). I am presuming that it does not form part of the Massey Hall site and thus has nothing to do with pedestrian flow issues on that site.

The ramp is, I believe, the handicapped access to the historic bank building next door at 205 Yonge Street (the front access of which is otherwise inaccessible to people in wheelchairs or with some other mobility issues due to the stairs). I am presuming that it does not form part of the Massey Hall site and thus has nothing to do with pedestrian flow issues on that site.

You are right. The ramp leads to the South entrance of 205 Yonge and is not part of 197 Yonge. I think workers access the site through Victoria st, not Yonge st so it doesn't really cause a problem.

You can walk to the right of the ramp to the back of 205 and all the way up to Shuter. Public laneway.
Yes, but once the condo is built and others in the area, I would assume that there will be many more people walking through the laneway, which might get congested at this point. It doesn't look like there is much space between the ramp and the glass cube that will be built.

Also, why is a wheelchair ramp necessary for 205 Yonge St? Is it even open to the public, at the moment?

Yes, but once the condo is built and others in the area, I would assume that there will be many more people walking through the laneway, which might get congested at this point. It doesn't look like there is much space between the ramp and the glass cube that will be built.

Also, why is a wheelchair ramp necessary for 205 Yonge St? Is it even open to the public, at the moment?

Though people used to cut through the parkette to get to Victoria Street, there is no pedestrian easement across the property from Yonge. I believe the ramp was installed when the City owned 205 Yonge and used it for the Toronto Historical Board.

It shouldn't really matter whether the building is currently open to the public or not. It's presumably not going to be shuttered forever. The building should be accessible.

As to whether there is much room between the ramp and the podium of Massey Tower, unless the City secured some sort of pedestrian connection at that location (I don't see anything in the planning report), it's not an issue. Given that the area at the rear will serve as loading for Massey Hall, and vehicular access for Massey Tower, the Elgin and the Heintzman Building (according to the final planning report, they all have easements over the area), it's not obvious to me that anyone wanted to create a legal pedestrian connection at that location.

Back