Toronto Market Wharf | 110.33m | 33s | Context Development | a—A

I don't think so, the final building goes further south, right back to the rail tracks, where the car park still is. They are now only excavating/piling the northern end of the site.

I wonder why they don't start construction on both at the same time. Wouldn't it be more cost efficent or have they not sold enough condos for construction to begin for phase 2? Anyone know?

The building was apparently split up because of the number of condos sold but I don't think that's relevant anymore. The market is crazy right now. I would guess the phase 2 delay has more to do with permits and/or money.

Here is a kind of blurry, crappy picture I took from the car yesterday. I was heading south on Jarvis.

4322503768_e88943e0f7_b.jpg

The crane is a very noticable addition to the drive on the gardner.

The building was apparently split up because of the number of condos sold but I don't think that's relevant anymore. The market is crazy right now. I would guess the phase 2 delay has more to do with permits and/or money.

I think you are right - they first applied for one project and it was approved, at OMB, then - when the economy hicuped - they asked to have it split into two phases and the City agreed. I suspect they will start Phase 2 before Phase 1 is finished - if they are to be believed (!!) the sales are strong.

Looking forward to see this rise. I'll be nice to have St. Lawrence neighbourhood book-ended between Market Wharf and Pure Spirit. Thanks for the pic.

Obviously I'm no architect, but I always assumed that building a deep foundation (besides the need for parking) was to help root a tall building in the ground so it is more stable and to reduce shifting. Is this not the case? Will they at least need to drill some holes deeper to root this thing? Or can you really put a 25 story building straight from ground level?

Per the photo in post 549, it looks like they did install foundation pillars.

This brings to mind the Trump building on Bay street which only has 3 floors below grade supporting a very slender 57 floor building.

RM

Back