Toronto Market Wharf | 110.33m | 33s | Context Development | a—A

Yes, we've got a photo of a similar buildings from the '20s and '30s in the files at work - it was up on Yonge north of Sheppard somewhere I think.

Mini residential versions of the Bay Adelaide 'stump'.

This one is going to be kinda weird.
The plot so far..
Basically the podium is going ahead but thats it. Sales for the the tower.Pphtttttt.
That is going to built some time in the future.. we hope..

Where did this information come from? I thought the tower suites were selling and they were moving ahead with it after the podium section was complete. Surely this has to be a desirable project and location, at least to my mind.

Their intent is to build the tower pretty much in conjunction with the 8 story podium (lofts/townhomes) section. The tower is currently sitting at 70% confirmed sold.

Granny is just being her usual dramatic self. :)

This one is going to be kinda weird.
The plot so far..
Basically the podium is going ahead but thats it. Sales for the the tower.Pphtttttt.
That is going to built some time in the future.. we hope..

I remember as a kid living on Midland Ave., in Scarborough, there was this this low flat bunker just north of Midland and Kingston. The folks that lived there could not afford to buld the whole house so the they just built the basement. The main floor was the roof. They lived that way for about 10 years before they finally went ahead and finished the rest of the house. Actually, there were a couple of homes in the area that were just like that.
Interesting, that Market Wharf should stir up these old memories for me.

Hey Granny....we all know how much you love LOTE, but no need to hate on Market Wharf so much :p

20091108004.jpg

Posted by Jasonized on ssc

Ahh geeze guys. I don't hate it. Really.
The podium design with the inner courtyard and all those townhomes with extrodinary large outdoor personal spaces, I consider a a stroke of genius. The heartbreak for me is the tower. This one deserved to be so much taller, more Spire like.
I'm not crazy about those balconies, but I think their visual effect on the skyline could have been ever so much more exciting had this tower got the height it deserved.
If it is actually true that the tower is going up in conjunction with the podium then that is indeed wonderful. My post was based on older posts here that claimed otherwise. I guess I missed a couple of more recent update posts. My sincerest apologies for the inadvertant fear mongering.
I often take walks past this spot, and one thing I am sure of. This is going to be a fantastic addition for this area. It should really pull the neighbourhood on both sides of Jarvis together. Something like this should have happened here a long time ago.
I give it four out five cookies.

I bought in this building. Got a letter that construction has begun.

... which is quite interesting because they only applied for their first permits on October 19 and neither has been approved yet - or actually even started! (Removing top layer of car park is hardly the start of construction :)

Application: Partial Permit Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5E 1N1

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 09 179985 FND 00 PP Accepted Date: Oct 19, 2009

Project: Mixed Use/Res w Non Res Partial Permit - Foundation

Description: Part Permit - Proposal to construct a 8 sty mixed use podium (commercial at grade, above grade parkng, and dwelling units). 105 residentail units. PHASE 1 - Market Wharf.

I wonder if its a financing/ cash-flow thing? I do find it strange that with 70 percent sales on the tower, that they will not also proceed with "Phase 2". I also do not recall them ever distinguishing the project as a phased one....This will be a good project when completed, will terminate Jarvis nicely, add to the mix of that part of the city. Probably a good investment buy depending on the current prices.

^^ the city is a bit slow updating their web site..

It is usually updated daily but there may be a lag-time in changing the status of applications. However, once they 'start processing' it takes several weeks to get approved. As they applied only 4 weeks ago I doubt it has actually been approved yet, though the City may have started looking at it.

Last edited:
One question....

I thought the whole lot was the project site. It looks like the hoarding doesn't go the entire length to the most southern tip of the parking lot.

Back