Toronto Maple Leaf Square | 185.92m | 54s | Lanterra | KPMB

That's what dumb Ottawa did during the Stanley Cup run a couple of years ago when they named an area of their village Sens Mile. Come on OTT, be creative for once.

Well isn't Calgary's 'Red Mile' copied from Chicago's 'Golden Mile'? Did anybody from Chicago complain that Calgary was stealing its idea?

So 'Blue Mile' can be considered to have originated from Chicago via Calgary. That would be ironic, considering how comparable Chicago and Toronto are. (Please, no city-versus-city.)

How about Maple Leaf Way!!!

Stupid Maple Leafs. I might be the only poster to this board who can't stand the Leafs. Maybe because I did not grow up in southern Ontario, and so was not constantly exposed to them or their fans as a kid. If I had to choose a hockey team to root for, it would be the Habs.

So I personally would dislike that name for the district, although I would understand its popularity with most Torontonians.

Well isn't Calgary's 'Red Mile' copied from Chicago's 'Golden Mile'? Did anybody from Chicago complain that Calgary was stealing its idea?

So 'Blue Mile' can be considered to have originated from Chicago via Calgary. That would be ironic, considering how comparable Chicago and Toronto are. (Please, no city-versus-city.)

The mile from Chicago is called the "Magnificent Mile" (North Michigan Avenue).

'Golden Mile' is actually in Scarborough (Eglinton east of Victoria Park). So maybe we're just copying ourselves?

And Edinburgh's "Royal Mile" precedes both. I don't think anyone cares what other people are naming things, so we should probably stop worrying. If Edinburgh, Chicago and Calgary can name something "the ___ mile" then I think we have little to worry about.

We had a mile way before Bloor in Yorkville

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Mile_(Scarborough)

That said I don't think Blue Mile is necessarily a bad name at all, and it would even make for a really cool tourist thing to maybe tint the sidewalks blue or something totally unToronto like that, just to take the concept all the way through. Add sports tickers to the street furniture, put up statues to commemorate some of the local heroes (I could see a bronzed Bill Barilko, airborne, mounted to the side of a building, or a jumping Joe Carter), and hang replica championship/retired number banners off the lampposts.

Back