Toronto Maple Leaf Square | 185.92m | 54s | Lanterra | KPMB

I still remember when there was that ghostly long concrete tunnel that started just about where the black on MLS turns to the green glass. The fill was all gone, but the tunnel was still there.

It might have taken 15 years to first unbury York, then to start urbanizing it, but it's still come a long way. It would have made an amazing "before" shot.

Today.

3334008291_52e97e4b3e_b.jpg

3334011019_621e793700_b.jpg

3334020195_33df63c87d_b.jpg

3334858848_b71d713f1c_b.jpg

Looks so different. This are has virtually changed in its entirety in less than 2 years and with the event of 18 York and those cheesy-top towers, this area will almost unrecognizable. Thanks for the updates..

p5

I walked by this site today and they were pumping concrete into a unit in the south tower. Any idea what they would be doing?

that last from the CN Tower shot is terrific, thanks.

it is amazing how the core is expanding south and west. in a few years, union station will be engulfed and consequently become a central part of the jungle. who would have thunk it?

Last edited:
Thanks for all the updates, Solaris.

Every time I walk by this site or take photos I am always impressed. I'm impressed with how massive it is, with how urban it feels and with how nicely the lines and materials play off each other.

It has been said many times, including by me, that this intersection will completely transform the traditional financial district/Union station area and play a vital role in connecting the core with the waterfront. As this picture illustrates, Telus and MLS do an exceptional job of providing quality urban infill without overwhelming the pedestrian or the car. What seemed nearly impossible as little as 2 years ago is only 2 more years away from being realized: an inviting, dynamic and engaging new (or extended) high-rise neighbourhood linking the core to the water.

The area was pretty busy on Saturday with the WBC and Leafs game. Before the Canada-US game, Hoops was fairly busy, and after there was an hour wait to get in (~5pm). I'm looking forward to the completion of MLS to add some more entertainment to the area and to see the effects it has in bringing more people down here other than condo dwellers

It has been said many times, including by me, that this intersection will completely transform the traditional financial district/Union station area and play a vital role in connecting the core with the waterfront.

definitely. i think york will become the main pedestrian corridor for people to come down to the waterfront. the atmosphere will be great when everything is done. i can't say the same for yonge or bay however.

A good portion of the public space and attractions along Queens Quay are by York Street; Waterfront Centre, Queens Quay Terminal and all that. I'd imagine that's why York seems busier. Though once the Islands visits get into full swing, pedestrian traffic down Bay gets pretty packed.

York is definitely already the most-used by pedestrians AND drivers of those three (Bay, Yonge, York). I know it's my preferred route to the lake.

I find it very unfortunate though, that as great as this infill along Bremner and York really is, the central city is cut apart by the highway and train tracks.

Even if we had something like Montreal has with their central train station. I couldn't even find the tracks once I got out of there and onto the streets. And the highway? As much as I've used it....I really want something to be done with it.

Yup....MLS is looking lovely. Thanks for the pics, everyone! :)

I was skeptical of this development and was honestly, really really astounded that it sold so quickly (who'd want to live next to the AC Centre or try parking their car and getting to their condo during any event), but am happy to say that, at least on the exterior, it seems I was wrong. It's looking really great and as long as some pedestrian improvements are made to make the crossing under the gardiner more user friendly (at York, Yonge, and Bay), then this will hopefully silence the "tear down the gardiner" critics and show that it isn't an impediment if it's incorporated into the urban fabric of the area. The train tracks have always been the real issue.

Back