Toronto Maple Leaf Square | 185.92m | 54s | Lanterra | KPMB

February 15 2009 update

Glimpse of MLS North Tower - Success1 & Telus on the left
IMG_3384.jpg

I was just joking, but it does make the bridge seem really awkward.

Every year at the Auto show I am reminded of what I consider one of the great planning mistakes!!!!

fact....we are building a stadium that can open and close so that fans can come to the games regardless of weather and know there will be a game

fact...we would like as many people to come via public transit as possible

fact...we know that a lot of people who work downtown will just walk to the stadium

fact...we know that on bad weather days, those walking and those taking transit will get to the same meeting area - Union Station -

need....an all weather way to connect those fans to the all weather stadium

solution....lets build a covered bridge that gets them almost to the stadium.....then to hell with them....they can go outside!!!!

Then, annually, we find a kinda goofy kinda functional way to cover up for the gaff!

The unique public space bounded by the podium and towers of this development, the Telus building, and the ACC is pleasantly dynamic and has a nicely angular 1970's feel to it.

Every year at the Auto show I am reminded of what I consider one of the great planning mistakes!!!!

fact....we are building a stadium that can open and close so that fans can come to the games regardless of weather and know there will be a game

fact...we would like as many people to come via public transit as possible

fact...we know that a lot of people who work downtown will just walk to the stadium

fact...we know that on bad weather days, those walking and those taking transit will get to the same meeting area - Union Station -

need....an all weather way to connect those fans to the all weather stadium

solution....lets build a covered bridge that gets them almost to the stadium.....then to hell with them....they can go outside!!!!

Then, annually, we find a kinda goofy kinda functional way to cover up for the gaff!

I can understand why it's open space. It's good for the summer. If they had the area covered, it would be costly to maintain. Heating in the winter and cooling in the summer. Also I think it would look ugly to have coverings going everywhere like the temporary coverings they currently have in the winter. They could have a roof over the bridge connecting to rogers though I think instead of a short over hang, but that only helps for a part of the bridge and you still stand in the cold. I think the temporary "tunnel tent" is good for putting up for short periods of time when required. It looks cheesy but at least it won't be there all year round. Another solution might be an underground path of sorts maybe but I don't know.

here's a new video series talking about the history of the air canada centre and the changes to come: http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/acc_anniversary_022009.html

looks like the screen outside is more of a "scoreboard" and yes, will probably mostly show advertisements.

the video also has some previously unseen renderings of the square.

Looking at the last pic, I can envision a lively urban area developing. I hope it happens. It's a great opportunity, one that CityPlace missed.

Look how much better the impact of a hefty podium is.

The new face of the ACC is turning out to be really wonderful – definitely a big improvement over the old facade.

Back