Toronto Maple Leaf Square | 185.92m | 54s | Lanterra | KPMB

Latest from PCL:

Current Progress (as of Feb 12/08)

The Air Canada Centre (ACC) temporary ramp is complete, commissioned and in use by the Air Canada Centre. Four tower cranes have been erected and the project has started pouring ground floor slabs after finishing the 6-floor below grade excavation program just before Christmas. Major mechanical and electrical equipment has been ordered and curtain wall approvals have been finalized and are in production. Tower window wall approvals are slated for early 2008. We will begin demolition of a portion of the temporary ramp in March 2008 followed by the remainder of the ramp in the summer of 2008, allowing the remaining floor slabs pouring sequence above the ramp to begin. The project is continuing with tendering the finishing trades.

Maple Leaf Square and Success Tower from above

2268262826_4fa6e27048_b.jpg

Lake Baikal, here I come:)

I hope you're not dissing Lake Baikal, the largest freshwater lake by volume in the world (and the deepest -- I believe that it's the only freshwater lake that has those wierd-looking "deep-water" adapted fish, although I am not sure about that).

My great-grandfather and his family spent time exiled to Siberia, and among the various places they were sent was a prison camp on the shores of Lake Baikal.

My great-grandfather and his family spent time exiled to Siberia, and among the various places they were sent was a prison camp on the shores of Lake Baikal.

That's a great reason to recommend Lake Baikal :)

I should have added that my father told me that he had been told that it was the best of the camps they had been sent to. This exile was long before my father was born, of course.

I was told the whole list of places, but unfortunately, three decades later I can only remember the Lake Baikal camp (for its relative beauty for a prison camp) and the Ob River camp (because they had caught sturgeon during their winter there).

Back on topic please, or you shall all be sent into exile.

That is beautiful photo looking down from above.
Unfortunately, it really drives home a point. NO neighbourhood. Nothing. Simply a lot of very tall buildings grouped together. It really is bleak and soul destroying. Somebody was reminded of Siberia. I was reminded of one those depressing Moscow apartment neighbourhoods we have all seen pictures of. The only difference is we have lots of glass in our buildings.

Sooner or later these future condo residents are going to have to come out of their tiny little apartments, walk out the front door of their buildings and look around.

Remember the story that was read to you when you were young.. "The Emperor has no clothes". These buildings have no neighbourhoods!
No streets with shops, restaurants, cafes, ... nothing. Just cold hard wind swept barren bleak avenues designed primarily for the automobile, allowing people to get into their cars and drive to somewhere else in the city where this is some colour,some warmth, some laughter, ...some life. If they can't drive, they can bundle up and start walking. The real city can be found about a kilometre or so away.

That place is a nightmare to walk around in the summer. - I'm sure the people that live there enjoy the little break they get from the crowds in the winter.

That place is a nightmare to walk around in the summer. - I'm sure the people that live there enjoy the little break they get from the crowds in the winter.

um... what?

Have you not seen the massive crowds of 20,000+ heading to and from the ACC? Between the raptors and the leafs, it's almost every other day. And that's only during the winter.

Back