Toronto Maple Leaf Square | 185.92m | 54s | Lanterra | KPMB

Well hopefully with the success of this project the developers will be willing to take a few more risks with the next phase across the street.

"Re: a verision of Empress Walk: Very true. And it may be an 'urban' failure if it is nothing more than a mall which sucks people off the street."

Empress Walk is not an urban failure, and since there's currently virtually zero pedestrians down there, the complex will add many more than the Empress Walk v2.0 will subtract.

Well, the first years of Empress Walk *have* been mixed--though that's due to a bit of tenant misfortune here and there (Indigo, Tower Records, etc).

Whatever the ped activity there, it still seems like the kind of thing the Hudson's Bay Centre might have been were it built 25 years later. (No, that's not a compliment, though with me, you never can quite tell;-))

"Do you care to point out the numerous other "typical" examples of this type of partnership between a leading condo developer, office and retail developer and sports and entertainment empire that exist in Toronto?"

No, not really.

AoD, Bogtrotter - Thank you, you're right.

Well, the first years of Empress Walk *have* been mixed--though that's due to a bit of tenant misfortune here and there (Indigo, Tower Records, etc). Whatever the ped activity there, it still seems like the kind of thing the Hudson's Bay Centre might have been were it built 25 years later. (No, that's not a compliment, though with me, you never can quite tell;-))

*Might* have been, but I doubt it...there's less incentive to open up HBC to the street - even acknowledge it - because of PATH North and because of its long, street-like shape. Empress Walk is vertical; the subway at the bottom, then Loblaws, then the main floor that's so exposed to the street, then just one floor of superfluous, ped-sucking retail, then the cinema.

Tenant misfortunes notwithstanding, Empress Walk "meets the street" well, opening up to it exponentially more than any comparable mall I can think of...Metropolis is almost done so it'll be the newest point of comparison, for better or for worse. Some of the stores in Empress Walk are still questionably viable in the long-term, but the effect of the mall overall is still positive. The Wendy's is begging to be turned into a bar/restaurant with a patio, though.

Compare it to the near-miserable failure of the Civic Centre shopping concourses down yonder...that place really tried to create indoor streets in toto as opposed to Empress Walk's indoor piazza.

Now, the rear of Empress Walk is awful, but no one cares that Doris is treated like an abused housewife. Also, pedestrian activity along that stretch of Yonge increase visibly every year, and since the area is only about half done in terms of towers, we can afford to keep the jury out a while longer on this one.

I don't believe anybody here is opposed to the project and of course the hotel and amenities are positive features of this development. People are merely commenting on the exterior design of the two highrise towers, which many seem to agree, are quite ordinary and bland in appearance.

Speaking for myself, this doesn't mean I was hoping for a 'self-contained' architectural marvel. But perhaps something with a more lively facades, or a setback or two, would have made the building a little more interesting. It's perfectly resonable to question why they didn't go for a more lively tower design, particularly given it's location.

Exactly.

Very true. And it may be an 'urban' failure if it is nothing more than a mall which sucks people off the street."

There is not much streetlife there to suck up.

Does anyone know what's happening with the NW corner of Bremner and York? I see it's been fenced off.

I recall that the architectural/art critic in the G&M or NP (that fine southern gentleman) praised the project. he described as "muscular" in proportion to the sports entertainment srcuctures close by. I agree.

Update from PCL Construction:

canada.pcl.com/projects/A...index.aspx

Current Progress

(as of March 5/07):

Project permits have been released allowing installation of the caisson wall surrounding the site, tie back installation has commenced and the site dewatering system is being installed. Installation of the project's temporary ramp structure has also started. This structure is required to allow continuous access to the Air Canada Centre loading docks and parking garage while the existing ramp is out of service. The next year of the project will be spent digging down six levels, half of which will be rock excavation and then forming and pouring the parking structure and concourse back to grade. Shoring, excavation, reinforcing and formwork are major tenders that have been awarded.

Project Description

Maple Leaf Square is a hotel, 872-unit condominium, shopping and entertainment complex that will be built in an adjacent lot on the west side of the Air Canada Centre. The two condominium towers; one 44-storeys and the other 40-storeys, will project out of an 8-level above grade podium and a 6-level below grade parking structure. The podium area will contain a hotel, office space, daycare, retail area, a fine dining restaurant and a large high-tech entertainment sports bar and music club that will complement the Air Canada Centre.

AoD

Nice find AOD. Thats some pretty detailed info about the progress of the site.

Its also excellent to hear that the music club is back in the plans again.

One question. Will the podium be taller or the same height as the Air Canada Centre?

Back