Toronto M2M Condos | 129.9m | 40s | Aoyuan | Wallman Architects

IMG_1008.JPG
IMG_1007.JPG
IMG_1004.JPG

Reactions: PMT
Demolition has begun!
Aoyuan International is transforming the Newtonbrook plaza into a vibrant master-planned residential community with 82,000 sq. ft of retail and market place, 100,000 sq. ft of office space and amazing amenities. Located in the heart of North York, M2M will also feature a new park, daycare and a community centre. Thank you to our purchasers and agents for all your support!

Last edited:
Drove by today and the Food Basics has closed down. I thought it was supposed to remain open during construction.

Drove by today and the Food Basics has closed down. I thought it was supposed to remain open during construction.
That is a big loss to the community. It was probably one of the few Food Basics that opened until midnight.

I believe the original intention was for Food Basics (north end) to remain open as long as possible with the goal of it remaining open until the new supermarket space (south end) is occupied

The Demolition file issued October 2018, is for the office (south end), plaza (middle) and Food Basics (north end)

In November - just before all tenants except FoodBasics were to leave by Dec 1st - Aoyuan meet with local residents about any concerns.

About 3 weeks ago, Food Basics posted notice on their window that they'll close sometime in January.

I don't know:
- if Food Basics bailing early due to less customers (no other store in plaza so no synergy), higher minimum wage & this store being FoodBasics/Metro northern reach in TO making it harder for them to service.
OR
- if Aoyuan kicking Food Basics out early? Aoyuan temporary 1 storey sales office is now (permit application started Nov 2018) to be built somewhere on northern end and open June 2019 for about 2 years.

Due to lack of continuation, it's likely FoodBasics/Metro won't be tenant for the new grocery store on this site - quite rare for discount supermarket to be able to afford rent in new development. Aoyuan from HongKong/Southern China is targeting Chinese buyers for M2M so likely Chinese grocery store. Across Yonge Street at former North York Hydro Building land, new development there for 4 towers will have mall grocery store podium,... so maybe FoodBasics/Metro return to area there.

In the meantime, it'll suck for local residents since there's really no other supermarket nearby,... NoFrills up at Steele & Yonge, something at Cummer & Bayview, PriceChopper & ValuMart at Steeles & Bathurst, Metro at Doris & Church.

Last edited:
FoodBasics site is now fenced off with demolition crane on site:

Phase 1 - southern 2 towers+podium site is bare
- Still No commitment from any Supermarket coming here, yet.

Phase 2 - middle 2 towers+podium includes park - still waiting for architectural drawings
Original Silvercore (pre-Aoyuan) site plan had community centre in Park; Aoyuan placed Community Centre in western half(?) of lower podium of Phase 2 - originally, just Non-Profit Childcare facility & Community Centre as per sales brochure:

Now, preliminary plans are for Community Space (shaded in purple) in 40% of western part of lower 3 floors of Phase 2 Podium with Non-Profit Childcare facility on first floor, new Library on 2nd floor (I've been complaining this is only ward in Toronto with only 1 library - North York Central Library) and Community Centre on 3rd floor.

Phase 3 is northern site is most of former FoodBasics site

Back