Toronto Lower Simcoe Ramp | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto

I used this garage everyday and can attest, it's pretty full. At least it's full for the first 6-7 levels. Level 8 is the roof.

Also, they just spent a bunch of time upgrading the garage with new lighting, and car charging stations so I'm not sure it's going anywhere that soon.

From this picture, it's clear they expect this garage to be demolished. I wonder how long it'll take.

file-2-jpeg.146911

anyone know how well used the garage is in the first place? I can't imagine it's that busy.

There always seem to be cars coming and going, esp. when there is something at Skydome or Convention Centre. No doubt it WILL go sooner or later (and the sooner the better) but it will probably be replaced (in part) by more paid parking.

You say this why?

This garage is typically full when I have been in it.

I used this garage everyday and can attest, it's pretty full. At least it's full for the first 6-7 levels. Level 8 is the roof.

Also, they just spent a bunch of time upgrading the garage with new lighting, and car charging stations so I'm not sure it's going anywhere that soon.

Your regular reminder that we have a thread for that garage.

Look at how comically narrow the sidewalk at the western edge of the parking garage is.

IMG_6438.JPG

For context, the black pavement is to be a bike lane that continues along Harbour. The sidewalk gets much wider as you move east past the garage.

Meanwhile, I'm sure cyclists are just going to love all the pedestrians walking on the bike lane here. The bike lane that was here before construction on this project started was an unofficial cycling speedway. Running alongside Lake Shore, it did feel like a cycling version of the expressway.

Attachments

• IMG_6438.JPG
    IMG_6438.JPG
    263.6 KB · Views: 549
July 6 - Sidewalks complete on the opposite side of Bay, sidewalks have replaced the temporary asphalt paths on Harbour near York and on York, first layer of paving for the bike trail is laid, and we have a pile of rocks in the park.

IMG_20180705_183808 - edit.jpg

IMG_20180705_183816.jpg

IMG_20180705_183845.jpg

IMG_20180705_183829.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180705_183816.jpg
    IMG_20180705_183816.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 531
  • IMG_20180705_183845.jpg
    IMG_20180705_183845.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 514
  • IMG_20180705_183829.jpg
    IMG_20180705_183829.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 566
  • IMG_20180705_183808 - edit.jpg
    IMG_20180705_183808 - edit.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 537
Last edited:
Taken July 6, 2018:

file1.jpeg

10 York Street casts a creepy shadow over the park.
file.jpeg

file2.jpeg

file-2.jpeg

file-3.jpeg

file1-3.jpeg

Now that the south sidewalk on Harbour Street and the east sidewalk of York Street have been substantially completed, the contractor has begun to prep the north side. The north traffic lane has been closed and temporary fencing has gone up in front of 1 York Street and the Harbour Plaza Residences.

file1-2.jpeg

file1-1.jpeg

file-1.jpeg

Attachments

• file1.jpeg
    file1.jpeg
    283.8 KB · Views: 571
  • file.jpeg
    file.jpeg
    249 KB · Views: 566
  • file2.jpeg
    file2.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 536
  • file-2.jpeg
    file-2.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 557
  • file-3.jpeg
    file-3.jpeg
    293.9 KB · Views: 590
  • file1-3.jpeg
    file1-3.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 561
  • file1-2.jpeg
    file1-2.jpeg
    219.1 KB · Views: 580
  • file1-1.jpeg
    file1-1.jpeg
    237.4 KB · Views: 554
  • file-1.jpeg
    file-1.jpeg
    268.2 KB · Views: 550
Yet again we see that the final traffic lights are still not installed and we have wooden poles and control cabinets in the wrong locations. The City's traffic light folk seem to have a hard time coordinating with others; the temporary poles are still up at Front and York (after 2+ years) and there is still a temporary pole at Front and Berkeley - outside Globe & Mail building. We will see how long the ones here stay!

You will never see me on that so call sidewalk from Simcoe to the east side of the garage, as I will be in that bike path. A pure joke and said so last years for that area. Watch a number of people try walking that small sidewalk and they ended up in the path. Others refused to use that sidewalk.

I had hope I would be close to the photos that I shot in June from Bay St To Simcoe, but still back log getting to them from posting them here.

Not impress on what I am seeing and a real miss opportunity. Where are the trees to go, as they will not last long next to the curb lane??

I guess it will be 2019 before the correct traffic lights get install.

Are we sure that small strip is the final sidewalk? The city’s absolute minimum in areas with spacing issues is 1.53m. This would also go against AODA.

I’m guessing the sidewalk will either be non existent there, or it will become a mixing zone like Queens Quay was near Dan Leckie Way.

Are we sure that small strip is the final sidewalk? The city’s absolute minimum in areas with spacing issues is 1.53m. This would also go against AODA.

I’m guessing the sidewalk will either be non existent there, or it will become a mixing zone like Queens Quay was near Dan Leckie Way.

My guess is that the bike lane will be officially a part of the sidewalk total, letting the city get by the rules but in practice, we know that that's going to be a bike lane and cyclists will be ringing at pedestrians who will inevitably walk on it.

The city must know that the parking garage isn't long for this world, otherwise they would have planned around it. The trajectory of the street clearly goes right through part of the garage, as if it didn't exist. My bet is that it soon won't.

Officially there won't be a sidewalk, just the trail.

The city made it this way not because they thought the garage would go soon - but because of the constrained ROW. No space for a sidewalk even if they wanted to. If the garage ever does redevelop, it'll be widened - but the city isn't banking on it.

I believe the garage is also owned by the feds for some reason - which makes redeveloping less likely.

Back