Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Someone needs to Tremclad the side of the Gardiner there in your first shot. Wooo that's rusty and nasty. Could use a little spray paint.

I see from the photos above that they have started to dismantle the large tent just east of the Mustard Bridge. They erected it last fall to protect them as they started to work on the "plug" at the mouth of the new Don. Is the plug finished and is the final excavation starting or ???

Oh yes! Forgot this portion will be demolished. I think the westbound onramps start just west of Cherry no?

I doubt any money would go to that, as it's planned to be demolished RSN.

Is that why they closed off the Jarvis eastbound on-ramp? Never understood why they did all the work to update the Jarvis section, and then kept the on-ramp closed off. It was useful to jump on from there to get to the DVP.

Is that why they closed off the Jarvis eastbound on-ramp? Never understood why they did all the work to update the Jarvis section, and then kept the on-ramp closed off. It was useful to jump on from there to get to the DVP.
The on-ramp is closed to avoid 'congestion' or lane switching on the Gardiner east of Jarvis. Not sure it's necessary but it will be closed until they finish the new Gardiner-DVP junction.

Totally not necessary. There was NEVER any congestion in that part of the Gardiner east of Jarvis when that ramp was open. Never. That was one of the lightest traffic, fast flowing part of the Gardiner when the ramp was open. Totally unnecessary to keep it shut. Just like it's totally unnecessary that Rosedale Valley Road is a 40km/h zone! So nuts. I mean hell, just make all the roads in Toronto 30km/h zones with speed bumps at this rate.

I thought they didn’t want more cars taking this Jarvis ramp route for next “year“ and then have a larger volume of cars to redistribute/relearn new avoidance routes when the last section of the gardener was reworked.

Edit - Disregard and see DSC post below.

Still seems like an unplanned illogical decision to me too.

Last edited:
The on-ramp is closed to avoid 'congestion' or lane switching on the Gardiner east of Jarvis. Not sure it's necessary but it will be closed until they finish the new Gardiner-DVP junction.
I found your old post below that clarified this. .

This came to Council in June 2021. The rationale is:

"The intersection of Lake Shore Boulevard/Lower Jarvis Street/Gardiner Expressway Lower Jarvis Ramp is controlled by traffic signals. The eastbound approach lanes on the off-ramp operate on a fully protected phase, resulting in a split phase with the eastbound movements on Lake Shore Boulevard East. The purpose of the split phasing is to allow eastbound movements from Lake Shore Boulevard East to safely weave through two traffic lanes to access the on-ramp, with no conflicting movements from the off-ramp. In order to maximise the effectiveness and efficiency of the lane reconfiguration, removal of the split phasing is recommended. This will allow eastbound movements from the off-ramp and Lake Shore Boulevard East to cross the intersection simultaneously. Consequently, the weaving manoeuvre to access the on-ramp from Lake Shore Boulevard East will now conflict with eastbound movements from the offramp. Therefore, closure of the eastbound on-ramp from Lower Jarvis Street is recommended to eliminate any potential conflicts and unsafe manoeuvres." See: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2021/ie/bgrd/backgroundfile-166845.pdf

Reactions: DSC
Totally not necessary. There was NEVER any congestion in that part of the Gardiner east of Jarvis when that ramp was open. Never. That was one of the lightest traffic, fast flowing part of the Gardiner when the ramp was open. Totally unnecessary to keep it shut. Just like it's totally unnecessary that Rosedale Valley Road is a 40km/h zone! So nuts. I mean hell, just make all the roads in Toronto 30km/h zones with speed bumps at this rate.
not only necessary.. City of TO created a dangerous bottleneck @ Jarvis Off ramp...
might have been a better idea to:

- close Ramp to the gardner east @ Rees St to keep merging lane on gardner only for Jarvis off ramp
- divert traffic to use Bay on ramp and Jarvis on ramp to get onto the gardner
- return to previous lane configuration/traffic lights @ intersection of Jarvis / Lakeshore
- manage traffic flow by synchronize traffic lights

Last edited:
not only necessary.. City of TO created a dangerous bottleneck @ Jarvis Off ramp...
might have been a better idea to:

- close Ramp to the gardner east @ Rees St to keep merging lane on gardner only for Jarvis off ramp
- divert traffic to use Bay on ramp and Jarvis on ramp to get onto the gardner
- return to previous lane configuration/traffic lights @ intersection of Jarvis / Lakeshore
- manage traffic flow by synchronize traffic lights
The eastbound on-ramp at Bay is scheduled to go - in 2024 or 2025 I think, when Harbour Street is continued further east.

The eastbound on-ramp at Bay is scheduled to go - in 2024 or 2025 I think, when Harbour Street is continued further east.
understood..but that is still 2 years away.... why not use it till then and use "brand new" on-ramp at Jarvis?

Sept 2
Late to the show but finally getting caught up in my backlog of photos.
52616158583_fd78b0334f_b.jpg

52615159172_715049f39a_b.jpg
52608437205_cccbb641c0_b.jpg

52608262429_2793e989a8_b.jpg

52608001741_ffebc509bd_b.jpg

52608001781_b80d0ec496_b.jpg
52612356502_a38d45d41c_b.jpg

Aug 20
52601479803_2f922568cb_b.jpg

52601384440_ecb6b46824_b.jpg

52601384575_71d2a5a68b_b.jpg

52601772483_7e02da4632_b.jpg