Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

It's the City that determines the zoning, and they bristle at Pinewood's inclusion of "residential" in their future site-plans.
I'm still digging on details surrounding that, but let's return to the map (Fig 37) that Alvin posts. You'll note the emphasis on "A Film Friendly Future".

We're up against the "sleight of hand" yet again. I'd protested some six or so months back that (gist) "This looks like a heyday for developers at the expense of the taxpayer" as the plans at that time showed high-rise condos well beyond the presently shown 'Lower Don Lands'. Alvin replied sharply (gist) "There'll be affordable housing too".

The claims for the re-purposing of the Port Lands appears to depend on what slant vested interests need at the time. "The Dream" appears to be very malleable. No wonder the Public is getting confused on this. Even those promoting it keep changing 'the vision'.

You are selectively quoting what I have said back in Oct 2016 (which is right here: http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-waterfront-toronto.3363/page-82#post-1159668) and what plans at the time? The plans for Villers Island and Keating Channel Precinct have highrises - the rest of the Portlands is an big amphorous question mark at the time. Whatever plans there are, they are less plans and more visioning, and we have had waves of those (from Fung report all the way to Doug Fords takeover attempt).

Honestly @steveintoronto, I am rather sick and tired of your mispresentation. If you are going to refer to what I have said, at least have the decency to cite properly instead of shoving words into my mouth.

AoD

Last edited:
You are selectively quoting what I have said back in Oct 2016 (which is right here: http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-waterfront-toronto.3363/page-82#post-1159668) and what plans at the time? The plans for Villers Island and Keating Channel Precinct have highrises - the rest of the Portlands is an big amphorous question mark at the time. Whatever plans there are, they are less plans and more visioning, and we have had waves of those (from Fung report all the way to Doug Fords takeover attempt).

Honestly @steveintoronto, I am rather sick and tired of your mispresentation. If you are going to refer to what I have said, at least have the decency to cite properly instead of shoving words into my mouth.

AoD
My "misrepresentation"? I'll find and post reference to my claim of your stating that later, but from UT itself:
Toronto's Port Lands Part 1: The Planning Framework Evolves
May 5, 2017 6:00 pm | by Julian Mirabelli | 5 Comments
Of the residential units, 71-75% would be market ownership and 16-20% would be affordable rental units, with roughly 25% of the total dwellings reserved for larger family units. Both districts would be predominantly mid-rise.
http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2017/05/new-details-emerge-transformation-port-lands

For now, I retract my earlier claim of Alvin stating that, but point to UT itself promoting the claim.

My "misrepresentation"? I'll find and post reference to my claim of your stating that later, but from UT itself:

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2017/05/new-details-emerge-transformation-port-lands

For now, I retract my earlier claim of Alvin stating that, but point to UT itself promoting the point.

Another attempt at selective quotation - if you are honest, you would have quoted the entire paragraph and the accompanying map:

26578-93184.png

Finally, rough estimates of resident and job concentrations are given for two of the upcoming mixed-use neighbourhoods. Villiers Island [1 on the map] is proposed to contain 4,865 residential units and 105,000 square metres of non-residential space, providing for 8,200 to 10,700 residents and roughly 2,900 jobs. The McCleary District [4] to the east will contain 4,700 residential units and 175,000 square metres of non-residential space, providing for 8,000 to 10,500 residents and roughly 4,000 jobs. Of the residential units, 71-75% would be market ownership and 16-20% would be affordable rental units, with roughly 25% of the total dwellings reserved for larger family units. Both districts would be predominantly mid-rise.

Note - the figure for affordable housing is specific to those two neighbourhoods - there are no residential units for 5 and 6 (PIC Core) envisioned under the plan, which are the areas in question for Pinewood and the Castlepoint sites. This is exactly why the latter are up in arms.

Seriously @steveintoronto, you accuse others of lacking in credibility, and yet you are unable to be credible when attempting to provide evidence yourself.

AoD

Last edited:
Deadline looming to comment on Port Lands transformation plan

The public has until Sunday, Nov. 5 to review and comment on the Port Lands and South of Eastern Transportation and Servicing Master Plan.

This plan, which is being done as a result of a collaboration between the City of Toronto and Waterfront Toronto, looks at transportation and municipal servicing needs to support the transformation of the Port Lands, excluding the Low Don Lands, as well as the continued employment growth in the South of Eastern area.

The plan can be viewed online at www.portlandsconsultation.ca or at the Toronto City Hall Library, 100 Queen St. W., or the St. Lawrence Library, 171 Front St. E.

Any comments/concerns should be forwarded to Cassidy Ritz, project manager, City of Toronto, Metro Hall, 22nd Floor, 55 John St., Toronto ON, M5V 3C6, 416-397-4487 or cassidy.ritz@toronto.ca.

https://www.insidetoronto.com/news-...to-comment-on-port-lands-transformation-plan/

City of Toronto Media Relations has issued the following:
==========================================

News Release

December 7, 2017

Showline Studios to continue as filming complex after City of Toronto purchase

Today, City Council endorsed the City's ongoing negotiations with Canada Post to purchase the former Showline Studios at 915 and 945 Lake Shore Blvd. E. in order to keep them as an active studio complex in Toronto's Port Lands.

The Showline complex with 32,000 square feet of studios has hosted international productions such as the X-Men and My Big Fat Greek Wedding and more recently was a studio location for the Academy Award Best Picture winner Spotlight and for CBC's Kim’s Convenience.

As directed by Council in October, the City, through the Toronto Port Lands Company (TPLC), began to pursue the purchase of the Showline Studios property from Canada Post which had entered into a purchase agreement for the land located at this location through a competitive process to turn it into a parcel distribution centre. On November 17 the transaction closed and the property was transferred to Canada Post.

"This strategic investment will help maintain internationally respected studio spaces in the city, which is needed to sustain Toronto’s position in a very competitive North American market. Our actions will show that the City is committed to retaining creative spaces in the Port Lands, which is known as a historic hub for film and television production in the city," said Mayor John Tory. "We are very pleased to be collaborating with Canada Post to make this important transaction possible."

“Immediate action is required to help save this studio from conversion to other uses,” said Councillor Paula Fletcher (Ward 30 Toronto-Danforth), Chair of the City's Toronto Film, Television and Digital Media Board. “Multiple years of record investments have proved that Toronto is a preferred production location, which has also resulted in our studio spaces being booked to capacity. Our intervention is required at this pivotal time to retain a key existing resource."

Following Council's approval the City will now move as quickly as possible to close the transaction and get the three studios in the complex back on stream for movies and television productions. The City will be seeking a new manager and/or user operator for a lease of the film studios, and ultimately a sale of the studio businesses and property.

The City's significant short-term investment and collaboration with Canada Post will preserve a valuable studio asset for Toronto’s film and television industry. As part of the City’s involvement, TPLC is also negotiating the parallel sale of surplus land in the Port Lands to Canada Post. More details will be made available upon the completion of the transactions.

The film, television and digital media industry is a major economic driver for Toronto. In 2016, domestic and foreign film, television, digital and commercials production investments in Toronto achieved a record $2.01 billion that directly employed over 35,000 people.

This transaction reinforces one of the recommendations from the Council adopted industry report Spotlight on Toronto: A Strategic Action Plan for the Toronto Film, Television and Digital Media Industry, which called for immediate actions to preserve existing studio spaces when possible and to create opportunities for new studio-related infrastructure and address the growing demand for location filming.

Toronto has one of the top five screen-based (film, television, commercials, animation) industries in North America and has been enjoying multiple years of record investments.

This news release is also available on the City's website: http://ow.ly/nPeo30h5iUr.

Toronto is Canada's largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. It is a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture and is consistently ranked one of the world's most livable cities. In 2017, Toronto is honouring Canada's 150th birthday with "TO Canada with Love," a year-long program of celebrations, commemorations and exhibitions. For information on non-emergency City services and programs, Toronto residents, businesses and visitors can visit http://www.toronto.ca, call 311, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, or follow us on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/TorontoComms and on Instagram at http://www.instagram.com/cityofto.

- 30 -

This studio purchase is a big waste of public money. The City has no expertise in this area, and should leave it to those in the industry to decide which studio spaces are needed for filming. If they want to ensure that films are made locally and post-production work remains here, it would be much better to offer other kinds of financial incentives rather than buying studios that have been deemed surplus by the industry. This is all politics and kowtowing to special interests.

Last edited:
This studio purchase is a big waste of public money. The City has no expertise in this area, and should leave it to those in the industry to decide which studio spaces are need for their films. If they want to ensure that films are made locally and post-production work remains here, it would be much better to offer other kinds of financial incentives rather than buying studios that have been deemed surplus by the industry. This is all politics and kowtowing to special interests.
I have no evidence and it's pure speculation but with so many similar decisions by this council, I have no doubt it is corrupt. Can't wait for the new ward boundaries when some of the councillors will not be reelected. Hope DMW gets the provincial seat. One less of those at city council.

This studio purchase is a big waste of public money. The City has no expertise in this area, and should leave it to those in the industry to decide which studio spaces are needed for filming. If they want to ensure that films are made locally and post-production work remains here, it would be much better to offer other kinds of financial incentives rather than buying studios that have been deemed surplus by the industry. This is all politics and kowtowing to special interests.
As noted in the press release, the City has no intention of running any studios and they intend to sell ASAP. (We shall see if anyone is interested!). They arranged this land swap to protect employment lands which is (theoretically anyway) a good idea.

I have no evidence and it's pure speculation but with so many similar decisions by this council, I have no doubt it is corrupt. Can't wait for the new ward boundaries when some of the councillors will not be reelected. Hope DMW gets the provincial seat. One less of those at city council.
You really can't make assertions like that without any evidence and expect to retain any credibility. Yes, some Councillors are probably corrupt - see investigations going on now - many decisions are made with no evidence, or against the evidence that there is. I strongly doubt that MOST City contracts are corrupt. The new Ward boundaries, if approved by OMB, ought to help us get rid of some of the deadwood on Council (maybe!) and DMW may well be elected as an MPP but MPPs actually have more power than Councillors so I am not sure we are safe from him if that happens!

Agreed with @DSC on our first sentence. With no evidence, you've just jumped to conclusions and off a cliff: there's nothing under you supporting you. What Council does is done publicly, and under lots of scrutiny. If reporters sensed there was any corruption, it would be front page news. It's not.

December 13, 2017
CONSTRUCTION NOTICE: Cherry Street Stormwater & Lakefilling

Construction activities for the next few weeks will be concentrated on in-water work and have little impact on the local traffic.

This week, crews are installing buoys around Essroc Quay to mark the location of the berm we’re building. This berm will surround and protect the new landform we’re creating. The core stone (aggregate) to build this berm will be delivered by boat. The first deliveries are scheduled for this month.

WHAT TO EXPECT DURING CONSTRUCTION:
For the next several weeks, work will be concentrated on site, with little impact on traffic or public spaces. The first shipment of materials is scheduled for this month. These shipments can come in at any time during the day. We are making every effort to minimize the amount of work outside of regular business hours. However, there is a chance that some shipments may be unloaded during nights and weekends. This activity will comply with noise standards specified by the City through its permit application process.

PROJECT SCOPE:

We’re creating new land around Essroc Quay – this will make room to realign Cherry Street and build a new Cherry Street Bridge over the Keating Channel, part of a plan to better manage stormwater and avoid flooding during major storms. As part of this project, we’re also building new fish habitats. This project will be completed by March 2019. This work is part of the Port Lands Flood Protection project. For more information about Don Mouth Naturalization and Port Lands Flood Protection, visit http://tiny.cc/DMNPThe site is located at Essroc Quay on the south side of the Keating Channel, where it meets Toronto’s Inner Harbour. The following graphic shows where construction hoarding and fences will be installed, as well as the flow of traffic to and from the site.

upload_2017-12-14_10-15-43.png

JOIN THE CONSTRUCTION LIAISON COMMITTEE

We’re looking for community representatives to join the Construction Liaison Committee (CLC) for this project.

CLC members are required to participate in regular meetings with the construction manager and project team. The frequency of these meetings will be determined based on need. The project team will provide construction updates and members are asked to provide feedback, advice and recommendations. CLC members will bring forward advice, issues and/or comments on behalf of the organization or community they represent, and communicate back to those groups.

If you would like to apply to join the CLC, please email info@waterfrontoronto.ca and tell us which group you represent. Please note that the CLC is designed to be a small, focused committee. Members will be selected based on their ability to liaise with the communities/constituencies and project team.

QUESTIONS:

For more information about this work, please visit http://tiny.cc/CSLFproject. Use this online form to send us questions or concerns about construction: http://tiny.cc/CSLFpublicinquiries or email us at plfp@ellisdon.com. For urgent construction related issues, please contact Cameron Coleman, EllisDon, at 416-464-3583.

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-14_10-15-43.png
    upload_2017-12-14_10-15-43.png
    374.6 KB · Views: 534
This week, crews are installing buoys around Essroc Quay to mark the location of the berm we’re building. This berm will surround and protect the new landform we’re creating. The core stone (aggregate) to build this berm will be delivered by boat. The first deliveries are scheduled for this month.

View attachment 130205

Didn't really think about it before, but yeah, that's the only way to efficiently get that much material there. The picture puts it in good perspective, with the boats that are docked.

Didn't really think about it before, but yeah, that's the only way to efficiently get that much material there. The picture puts it in good perspective, with the boats that are docked.
Using ships for bulk deliveries is clearly a good idea, particularly when the cargo will be used where they 'land" it. They bring the salt in that way too - see the large salt piles just south east of the Cherry Street bridge. (And why the cement plants are in the Port Lands and Redpath Sugar on QQE.)

cherry.JPG

Attachments

• cherry.JPG
    cherry.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 360
Unsurprisingly, not a great deal of progress here. The construction notice from WT on December 13 mentioned the start of aggregate delivery in December. No evidence of that.
But things look ready to go once the weather warms up a bit.

20180106_160149_HDR.jpg

20180106_160119_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 20180106_160119_HDR.jpg
    20180106_160119_HDR.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 348
  • 20180106_160149_HDR.jpg
    20180106_160149_HDR.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 357

Back