Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

I don't recall this being posted, but perhaps it has, if so, my apologies.

Renders of the Destination Playground at Promentory Park: * (described as design possibilities)

View attachment 473573
Source: https://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/news/bringing-livable-neighbourhoods-to-life

View attachment 473577
Source: https://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/sites/default/files/2023-04/WT-Strategic-Plan-2023-24_FINAL_ua.pdf

View attachment 473578
Source: same as above
Key word: "possibilities" - ie. "we haven't value engineered the proposal yet".

Key word: "possibilities" - ie. "we haven't value engineered the proposal yet".

So far, Waterfrontoronto has not shown a material inclination towards VE.

Whether one looks at the Queen's Quay streetscapes, Love Park, or The Wave Decks among other items, they have, by and large delivered what they promised.

The two real disappointments, arguably have been the private sector buildings (Corus and Innovation Centre); and I think when one looks at the Hines buildings, Tridel, and George Brown's new effort, that indications are they have learned.

Cynicism is healthy and necessary, but in this case premature.

So far, Waterfrontoronto has not shown a material inclination towards VE.

Whether one looks at the Queen's Quay streetscapes, Love Park, or The Wave Decks among other items, they have, by and large delivered what they promised.

The two real disappointments, arguably have been the private sector buildings (Corus and Innovation Centre); and I think when one looks at the Hines buildings, Tridel, and George Brown's new effort, that indications are they have learned.

Cynicism is healthy and necessary, but in this case premature.
You're right, WT has a solid track record. I'm just...skeptical that we'll actually get an epic playground that looks that good. I hope to be proven resoundingly incorrect!

Noticed that Netflix logo in the photo. Which building is that?

8 Unwin I think. It's a sound stage. Netflix has a growing number of them in Toronto.

WT tend not to disappoint once the shovels are in the ground. It can and do disappoint in the proposal stage (various vapourwear projects like Lake Ontario Park, Waterfront footbridges, etc).

AoD
The footbridges were going to happen, but they were killed by the vociferous complaints of residents who didn't like their view of the Lake being blocked.

Some curbs going down along the new Cherry alignment.
From today.
PXL_20230503_211215839.jpg

PXL_20230503_212329943.jpg

This was at Council today and is returning in July:

Motions (City Council)
1 - Motion to Refer Item moved by Deputy Mayor Denzil Minnan-Wong (Final)
That City Council refer the Item to the Director, Waterfront Secretariat for consultation with the Port Working Group and report back to the City Council meeting of July 19, 2022.

All a bit odd as the rails have mostly been removed already and nobody has shown any interest in putting up the $$$ (supposedly $50 million!!!) to restore it and make it fit to have modern rail cars. (And nobody seems to have got Metrolinx to change their plans to cut the section they own - which they need to do for their Don Yard expansion and the Ontario Line work.)​

I'm working on refreshing my Toronto railway mapping in GIS, and not having been out to the Port Lands in a few years, I was surprised to see much of the Harbour Lead ripped up. Some searching led me to these reports back in March/May 2022. I went through the July 19, 2022 meeting minutes and didn't see anything. Does anyone recall where this landed?

I'm working on refreshing my Toronto railway mapping in GIS, and not having been out to the Port Lands in a few years, I was surprised to see much of the Harbour Lead ripped up. Some searching led me to these reports back in March/May 2022. I went through the July 19, 2022 meeting minutes and didn't see anything. Does anyone recall where this landed?
It has never returned to Council but WT are continuing to work on Lake Shore East and the bridge rebuild as though it is not there so I think you can delete it from your useful maps. It is noted as something to be studied by City Planning in 2023 or 2024 but Metrolinx have said the line can no longer link to the main line so I think it's all for show. It's gone!

The footbridges were going to happen, but they were killed by the vociferous complaints of residents who didn't like their view of the Lake being blocked.
Are you serious, I am sick and tired of projects like that being turfed because of a handful of residents, when yet it was millions of GTA residents that will be enjoying this area not just them. It's ridiculous.

Are you serious, I am sick and tired of projects like that being turfed because of a handful of residents, when yet it was millions of GTA residents that will be enjoying this area not just them. It's ridiculous.
The footbridges were NOT junked due to any resident complaints, they remain on hold due to the usual 'no $$$' problem.

Back