Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Kick the airport off the Toronto Island's and build a cheaper bridge at the western channel. That would be the most ideal spot.

Kick the squatters off the island and extend the Toronto parkland eastwards towards a pedestrian bridge.

The airport benefits way more Torontonians than the squatters do.

Kick the squatters off the island and extend the Toronto parkland eastwards towards a pedestrian bridge.

I don't mind the idea of enlarging the Island Park into the current housing exclave; though, I have to say, the area does have some charm.

Its problem is really one of being far too small relative to demand, and affording a privileged few, a bit of a sweetheart deal financially.

I could deal w/losing it though, but the airport should be the first to go.

The airport benefits way more very few Torontonians than the squatters do.

There, fixed that for you.

Airport was seeing nearly 3 million passengers a year before COVID. That's a lot people getting a lot of use out of it. Some have a romantic notion of what the island should be. Other can understand the need for balancing romance with progress. I find myself in the latter camp.

Airport was seeing nearly 3 million passengers a year before COVID. That's a lot people getting a lot of use out of it. Some have a romantic notion of what the island should be. Other can understand the need for balancing romance with progress. I find myself in the latter camp.
Everything is about opportunity cost ... an airport that serves 8,000 people per day might not be the best use of 200 acres of waterfront land in the centre of the city.

Park space isn't romance, its a necessary part of urban life just as much as travel. At the end of the day, this is like putting a toilet in the front yard. It's not a sensible place for an airport. There are several factors that make the airport a bad fit here. 1) Downtown residents have a lack of park space and the island is some of the best urban parkland in the country. 2) Many of the short haul flights that this airport serviced should be replaced by HSR as soon as humanly possible. 3) It's public land that should be available to the public, not just people who have the means to travel. 4) As far as I understand (though someone may have to correct me on this) the flight paths of the airplanes create limits on potential density in the portlands.

I say this as someone who has used that airport and loved it.

The island has roughly 1.5 million visitors annually (up to 20k per day in the summer). I imagine that would change dramatically if it wasn't extremely inconvenient to get to. I love going there but I haven't been in years because it's such a journey.

I wouldn't be opposed to having a certain percentage of the airport converted into housing as it would help connect the park to the mainland and provide a year round set of amenities and people to keep an eye on the park. Plus it would be cool to have a car free neighbourhood served by canals.

I wouldn't be opposed to having a certain percentage of the airport converted into housing as it would help connect the park to the mainland and provide a year round set of amenities and people to keep an eye on the park. Plus it would be cool to have a car free neighbourhood served by canals.

Great post and totally agree that something akin to Eb Zeidler's original Ontario Place vision, which included just such a canal community (kayaks and skating woo whoo!) connecting downtown to the Islands, would be utterly transformative for the city... much like the Lower Don Lands will be.

In 20-30 years Toronto would go from having one of the worst waterfronts in an urban core, to one of the best in the world.

Everything is about opportunity cost ... an airport that serves 8,000 people per day might not be the best use of 200 acres of waterfront land in the centre of the city.
I’m going to be honest, I’d be surprised if any park in this city sees 3 million annual visitors regardless of size.

The southern section of New Cherry Street (including the yellow and white bridge) should be open on Monday after their blitz construction period this weekend.
I fear not ...

1663848325937.png

Back