Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

WislaHD, let’s hope so but my sense is it will disappoint and the success of the development will draw heavily from the tight interesting and existing urban context. That site is big enough to do something interesting without being so big that the area suffers from the interesting things the designers think need to be done.

^There is a way to mimic that dynamic on larger master-planned lots too. I think the Honest Ed's redevelopment as planned might do a decent job of it.
Mimic sure, in built form and massing, but I wonder if the whole entrepreneurial dynamicism that comes with a variety of small property owners will come with it- I guess that they could 'curate' the retail component to be more interesting, and I hope they can do it in a way that brings a degree of authenticity to the project.

Bingo!

Just as I suggested:
Sidewalk Labs has been shopping for financing partners for infrastructure on Toronto’s eastern waterfront, entering into preliminary agreements with private investors and engaging in discussions with the Canada Infrastructure Bank about the proposed smart-city development, according to an internal document obtained by The Globe and Mail.
[...]

For the LRT at least, this allows the 'Consortium' to incorporate under a Federal Charter such that the City and Province have little to no control over it save for what the Constitution allows under Section 92.

THIS is the way forward! I'll have more to add on this later. Now THIS is exciting...

Not too much different over the winter except that the raw sugar pile has been depleted. The St. Lawrence Seaway should be fully open in the next few weeks to restock the pile for next year.
May 5, 2018
9995AA5E-B137-48F3-906B-B6E0FD90B349.jpeg

Oct 25, 2018
BF0E7054-1BCB-4682-AB56-014B97419007.jpeg

March 17, 2019
752F6222-DD82-4575-81C7-9FCCDD8B4F72.jpeg

March 19, 2019

CONSTRUCTION NOTICE #9: Port Lands Flood Protection

PROGRESS UPDATE

Excavation continues on the first section of the new river valley. The new river valley will be part of a new parks and natural green spaces – when construction is complete in 2024, we will have created 41 hectares of parks and habitats for wildlife of all kinds, including about 6,000 new trees.

HIGHLIGHTS: WHAT’S HAPPENING THIS SPRING?

Excavation east of Cherry Street and south of Commissioners Street will involve excavators, bulldozers, front end loaders and rock trucks moving and stockpiling soils.

We will be clearing small trees and vegetation at several locations within the construction site, including in the future ice management area, west of Don Roadway and south of Villiers Street.

Throughout the month of March and early April, crews will be conducting geotechnical and environmental surveys throughout the site. Currently, crews are drilling in the area north of Keating Channel at Don Roadway to collect information that will helpplan the excavation and construction in the future Sediment Management Area. This won’t impact pedestrian, bicycle or vehicle traffic.

WHERE WILL WE BE WORKING?

• Area 1, 2: Construction on New Cherry Street and foundation for the new Cherry Street North Bridge. Existing Cherry Street and Cherry Street Bridge will remain open.

• Area 3: Soil stockpiling and tree removal.

• Area 4, 5: Excavation and shaping of new river valley.

• Area 5: Tree removal.
  • Area 6, 7 and 8: Excavation, demolition and site preparation, including demolition of some existing buildings and tree removal.
  • Area 6 and 7: Tree removal and demolition in the future ice management area. Once completed, this section of the Don River will help to break up ice in the winter and keep water flowing through the valley.
  • Area 9: Site preparation and demolition at the site of the future Promontory Park South. This includes removing the remaining structure of the Marine Terminal 35 building and salvaging components of the building to be reused. For an overview of our plans to preserve elements of this building and build a commemorative structure in its place, please reference slide 25 of the August 2018 presentation to the Port Lands Flood Protection Stakeholder Advisory Committee. You can find that document at https://portlandsto.ca/wp-content/uploads/Final-presentation-SAC-3.pdf

WHAT TO EXPECT

• The bulk of this work is scheduled on weekdays between 6:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
  • The impact of this work on traffic will be minimal.
  • During excavation and stockpiling, we anticipate some odours. For details about how we’ll monitor and manage odours during construction, read this summary of the Odour Monitoring Plan.

Removing underground obstructions as part of the excavation process.

Excavation of the new river valley.

CHERRY STREET LAKEFILLING – PROGRESS UPDATE

Lakefilling continues to create new land in the area highlighted in purple. Over 200,000 cubic metres of locally sourced clean material has been placed around Essroc Quay to form the northwest corner of the future Villers Island. The crew will continue with lakefilling and start the second stage of earthworks. Work on the new shoreline and fish coves is starting back up.

Left: The latest aerial image of the Cherry Street Lakefilling project, showing the new shoreline taking shape and new land forming south of Essroc Quay.

Right: A look at the stone that will be used to finish the new shoreline.

QUESTIONS:

To learn more about this project, please visit portlandsto.ca. Use this online form to send us questions or concerns about construction or email us at plfp@ellisdon.com. For urgent construction related issues, please contact Cameron Coleman, EllisDon, at 416-464-3583.

Not too much different over the winter except that the raw sugar pile has been depleted.

They pile sugar over there? Isn't that salt?

Port Lands Zoning Review and PIC Core Urban Design Guidelines
6:30-9:00
Ralph Thornton Community Centre 765 Queens Street East, Toronto, ON M4M 1H3

Dam, I was hoping it was sugar.
I always thought the covered piles were for road salt but at a Doors Open Toronto tour a few years back, a Redpath employee told me some of the piles were sugar too.
I’m just not sure which ones.

He did say the raw sugar is then trucked over to the Redpath facility. I didn’t ask how many trucks or at what capacity they operate in the winter. It does seem like a lot of trucks and work.

This Toronto life article notes; The shed only holds10 days worth of processing and it takes 4 days to unload a ship. The shed is 200 yards long (10.5 acres) and holds 16,000 tonnes of unprocessed sugar. They process 2,000 tonnes per day 24x7.

I assume 3 months of outdoor storage would need up to 10 times this shed’s capacity.

From 2014 PORT LANDS PLANNING FRAMEWORK: LAND USE DIRECTION

Page 11&12
“Redpath has also stored its sugar product on barges moored at Cousins Quay over the winter months.
DMNP EA and planning for the Lower Don Lands has protected for this activity. However, Redpath stored its product at the Toronto Port Authority’s site south of the Ship Channel this past year.”

April 22
40716297213_c9cf6a7670_b.jpg

33805001378_bd84d7a6cc_b.jpg

32739407957_b92aa4a798_b.jpg

40716302473_2fcfa12c4a_b.jpg

47682466751_24e4a5ef5a_b.jpg

40716303483_691962650d_b.jpg

40716297793_4e13898d02_b.jpg

40716298453_e5b2a0971f_b.jpg

33804999858_497676c0b3_b.jpg

40716299653_c74e50415b_b.jpg

33805000568_37ab20840a_b.jpg