Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

18 December 2011--unfortunately the sun was on the wrong side of my lens.:(

011md.jpg

I hadn't been down Broadview in almost 3 years--always takes me by surprise how dramatic the view is here.

probably because the spine of the city runs perpendicular to the lake and so the side views have a lot more to see... on the other hand I do also like the south views from up high (such as a Porter Airlines plane) or the north views from up high (Minto Midtown).

Mo-tage - thanks for all the sweet pics today!

Marcanadian's first pic is great showing Nathan Phillipps getting a nice backdrop of taller buildings and less sky. this will only get better when the Richmond Adelaide crystal tower and Canada tower site is built

011md.jpg

I hadn't been down Broadview in almost 3 years--always takes me by surprise how dramatic the view is here.

If you stand further south - around Bain Avenue, maybe - you get a view that includes the Minto towers, signposting Yonge and Eglinton. And, as you scan the horizon from the Lake up to Minto, you get a real sense of how all these towers snap to the invisible yet all-controlling street grid.

If you stand further south - around Bain Avenue, maybe - you get a view that includes the Minto towers, signposting Yonge and Eglinton. And, as you scan the horizon from the Lake up to Minto, you get a real sense of how all these towers snap to the invisible yet all-controlling street grid.

You get a similar sense when driving on the 401 just west of Yonge St when crossing Hogg's Hollow. The line of condos along Yonge leading into the CBD is a pretty cool sight. And then of course when looking north instead of south, you get a golf course in the foreground with a wall of towers in the background. Really makes North York Centre stand out when you have such greenery right in front of it.

We build the city by permission of the terrain it's built on.
And yet some insist there's no there there. I don't get it.

how all these towers snap to the invisible yet all-controlling street grid
In my view, this is precisely the salient counter-argument to proponents of Toronto's becoming more like Manhattan, in other words more "grand" because we begin to emulate that great ur-city's vertiginous canyons.

That's not going to happen because our conditions are different: our own relentless grid affords towers that are both longitudinal and lateral in their orientation vis-a-vis the lake. I think it's nifty. To dredge up the metaphor I used before, some giants in fields will be talking to each other, some suspiciously turning their backs on one another, yet others flirty and playful with their surroundings.

More on this polemic at minute 1 of the video below:
[video]http://youtu.be/tcliR8kAbzc[/video]

Excellent pics. thanks. Your shot makes the west facade look kinda sexy afterall. Never seen a building match its renders as exactly as this one.

Promises kept means please build here in our town again. Westbank good. Pinnacle....

I love the location of this building and its height; I think it's a perfect contribution to the skyline and I love looking at it from up north on University. But I'm not crazy about its design. It's like a Burano on steroids; a big glass box. I'm hoping my opinion changes when it's all done.

Back