Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

02.jpg

Interesting that the press release cites Young + Wright Architects as the designers of One Bloor East.

Hmm. Does Y + W want us to know that project is still alive in some way? Who owns that land now?

I'm really looking forward to this building. That stretch of University badly needs this project.

encouraged 42

Love the sleek angled look of this tower. Much better than the Vancouver project IMO.

this should either scare the trump people to get their shovels in the ground ASAP, or send them packing.

I guess it's probably too much to hope that they both get built?

With that many condominium units and it going up against Four Seasons, I would think this one may take a while to go up. I love the design of the tower. The sleek facade will be a big winner and will do alot to bring that intersection up.

Not as nice as the Ritz, but certainly better than the Trump proposal. I thought the original 4Seasons kicked this one's butt as well, but the recent rendering has really put that into question. It's almost as if the 4seasons jumped from Aa quality to a tridel design.

Wow. I think this will be a winner.

And the boom, inexplicably, goes on...

This was the announcement i have been waiting for. Alongside the Ritz (which thankfully is under construction), this is my favourite proposal. I love this design and the facade is certainly unique. I also like the fact that this tower will add density and much needed height to the west of the CBD. As someone mentioned earlier, this will either put the final nail in the coffin for Trump, or (hopefully) kickstart construction down on bay street...

I like it a lot. Though the trees on the top dont really work for me (though I think these are just a common rendering flourish). I also am interested in how the old existing building on site is encorporated.

Nice!
The angled edge of the facade is a nice touch - you can see the variation in relation to the protrusion of the balconies.

Fabulous project all around. Let's hope sales will be quick and that we won't have to wait too long to see the shovel in the ground.

My only criticism is that a beefier podium woulda been nice. Other than that, it'll be a great addition to a stretch of University that badly needs it.

just googling around, found this article in today's Commercial Property News, interesting bit concerning groundbreaking....

Second Canadian Shangri-La Sited in Toronto
February 07, 2007
By Tom Dworetzky, News Editor

Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts has announced plans to develop Living Shangri-La Toronto. The $430 million tower will be jointly developed by Westbank and Peterson Group with James K.M. Cheng Architects and Young + Wright Architects.

The 65-storey, 704-foot luxury hotel and condominium tower is sited on University Avenue at Adelaide Street, a central downtown Toronto location. The five-star Shangri-La Hotel will also have CHI, The Spa at Shangri-La, retail, lounge and restaurant spaces and 220 guestrooms on levels 1 to 17.

Floors 18 - 48 will be home to 279 one- and two-bedroom residences with floors 49 - 65 reserved for 73 private estates, each encompassing penthouse-worthy appointments and city or harbor views. Visitors and residents will have access to Shangri-La's 24-hour room service and security, amenities, exclusive CHI treatments.

"There is an increasing demand in the city of Toronto for both five-star accommodations and residences that provide the security, exclusivity and amenities of a five-star hotel," a Shangri-la spokesperson told CPN today, as to why the company decided to make its entry into that market.

The spokesperson said that groundbreaking on the project was anticipated for late 2007, with expected completion in spring 2011.

Westbank and Peterson Group with James K.M. Cheng Architects and Rennie Marketing Systems has already had a significant positive impact on luxury real estate in Vancouver. The team is currently constructing a trio of signature projects including Living Shangri-La Vancouver, the city's tallest tower with 300 luxury residences; The Estates Fairmont Pacific Rim on Coal Harbour's waterfront; and the acclaimed redevelopment of the historic Woodward's property. Together, these projects represent well over $1 billion in real estate development.

Westbank and Peterson Group have developed or have under development $5 billion in projects consisting of over 15 million square feet of residential, retail, mixed-use and office space.

If this breaks ground by the end of 2007 I'll be dancing in the streets. It certainly will be interesting to see if Toronto can fill all these luxurious condos/hotel rooms.

Hopefully the city can step up and make Toronto a place that requires all of these luxurious buildings. Like maybe re-pave a few roads and plant a tree or two! :b

I suspect that the groundbreaking date posted, while perhaps somewhat optimistic, may not be all that far off - Shangri-La has a great deal of cache in the Asian marketplace, as well as the Vancouver toehold. Indeed, it's investor profile may differ (geographically, at least) suffciently from Trump that both could be built... if Trump can ever get its act together.

Back