Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

US, how many does the theatre hold, minus the top balcony? Is it close to what the Four Season holds? And is there just not enough available openings in the Four Seasons schedule for any touring companies (its not like this is a bad thing as the Hummingbird Centre needs the rent. I just feel for the touring comapnies and the audience).

About 3,500 ( including balcony ) versus 2,000 at the FSCPA.

"Once you go FSCPA you never go back ..."

I am sure, considering many say that about the Hummingbird Centre, but in a different way ("I saw a show there last night and I swear that I will never go back"). ;)

It'd be nice if the Hummingbird ( or whatever it is called now ) had free lunchtime concerts like the FSCPA does. The big lobby with the York Wilson mural would be a fine venue for such a thing.

Sometimes you have a love/hate dilemma with a building, this one gives me a smile/frown. Libeskind often does that to me.

He can also make you feel a more serious emotion. I feel the pain and anguish intended in his design for Jüdisches Museum in Berlin with few windows, most facing the sky; the curiosity that leads to knowledge expressed in the pop-up structures that face opposing directions, but peak in all directions in his London Metropolitan University – Orion Building; his modern fortress with his fewest windows to date for the Imperial War Museum in Manchester, UK.

We already know about the ROM addition, the Denver and New York City designs.

The feeling here in the L-Tower is “party style”. Couldn’t be mistaken for an office tower in any city, and there is nothing subtle about it - with that disco-like boot shape, clearly a ‘70s homage. Toronto, no doubt, needs a bit of this type of breakout, forward-leaning, urban architecture. But I thought the investment would be in the form of low-risers, not a skyscraper. Why? Because a skyscraper will possibly be with us for a longer time to come, and there is something about this building that projects “fleeting” to me, almost throwaway.

That is where my frown enters. It is too literal for me over the long haul. Perhaps I’ll get over this; if I do it will take time. In the moment, I shall marvel at how there is a modern building being built in Toronto, that is so clearly un-Toronto-like according to some, yet garnering such enthusiasm out of the gate. Portends a change that I hope will lead to bigger-and-better things.

marvel at how there is a modern building being built in Toronto, that is so clearly un-Toronto-like according to some, yet garnering such enthusiasm out of the gate. Portends a change that I hope will lead to bigger-and-better things.

yep...:)

So we get a boot from Libeskind and a skate from Gehry. Along with the Bata shoe museum, maybe we can get a whole footwear thing going.

I thought it sold out?!

ltower%20eblast%20-%20sales%20centre_r4_c2.jpg

The curious relationship between the truth and condo marketing continues.

Well I suppose even with an almost sold out building they'd still need a staging area for the purchasers to come in and select finishes. I'm sure we'll see the same thing with Shangri-La.

I thought it sold out?!

The builder held onto a few units (and increased prices) for a small public offering. There isn't much point in allowing a building to sell out over night as it's not like construction can start the next day when approvals and permits still have to come. It make a lot more business sense to slow things down and increase price points while awaiting approvals to get shovels in the ground.

I just got an email invitation to the sales centre opening this weekend.

August 25, 12-5pm. Email says you can purchase "one of the many great suites still available"

Back