Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

Changing the O'Keefe to a museum would be perverting what is an important historic monument. Restore the auditorium to make it what it is and was always supposed to be, one of the city's major performance venues. Commercial theatre isn't completely dead in Toronto, and maybe the new Dancap Productions will eventually be needing more large-scale venues.

Changing the O'Keefe to a museum would be perverting what is an important historic monument. Restore the auditorium to make it what it is and was always supposed to be, one of the city's major performance venues. Commercial theatre isn't completely dead in Toronto, and maybe the new Dancap Productions will eventually be needing more large-scale venues.

The Hall of Fame wouldn't be in the auditorium space - it would go into the podium somewhere.

What about the auditorium needs restoring right now?

The Hall of Fame wouldn't be in the auditorium space - it would go into the podium somewhere.

That is correct.....I saw my Hummingbird contact yesterday, she advises me that all but 17 of the condo suites have been sold....and those 17 are being held back for sales at a later date...they are not going to bother with constructing a sales office, don't need to, and they can save some money by not doing so..

The Music Hall of Fame is not quite a done deal, but talks are ongoing...

The only thing that makes The O'Keefe Centre remotely historic is the fact that I saw my first concert there in 1989 I believe. It was the stuff legends are made of...Fred Penner was his name.

The only thing that makes The O'Keefe Centre remotely historic is the fact that I saw my first concert there in 1989

Well, that and the fact that Mikhail Baryshnikov defected to the west there.

The only thing that makes The O'Keefe Centre remotely historic is the fact that I saw my first concert there in 1989 I believe. It was the stuff legends are made of...Fred Penner was his name.

A lot of people view the building of the O'keefe as part of the larger picture of post-war revitalization in Toronto, with NPS and the TD Centre. It was Toronto's premiere performance venue for decades, and its architecture is significant too. Still, if none of this equates to 'historic' to you, can we at least agree that it is significant?

What about the auditorium needs restoring right now?

I'm happy to hear that the function of the building proper will be left alone!

I have heard people complain about the O'Keefe as a performance space, about its accoustics specifically, and also about the sight lines of the house. My suggestion was only that improvements to these things would be preferable to changing the building's function, imo.

A lot of people view the building of the O'keefe as part of the larger picture of post-war revitalization in Toronto, with NPS and the TD Centre. It was Toronto's premiere performance venue for decades, and its architecture is significant too. Still, if none of this equates to 'historic' to you, can we at least agree that it is significant?

Definitely..........Fred Penner played there.

The COC and National Ballet moved out because of the dreadful acoustics and barn-like size of the hall, and there are numerous smaller theatres and performance spaces around town that work well for theatre, dance, concerts and recitals by local and touring companies, and performers. I think this place will be used mostly by touring companies that create spectacle, and stuff for kids, from now on. That's more or less what happened last season. Dance companies like Ailey and Sankai Juku can still book in there and make a go of it because they provide visual spectacle. Some visiting dance companies don't sell tickets for the balcony when they play there.

Back