Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

new L-Tower model

I was in the new L-Tower sales office today with a client. Here's a photo snapped with an iPhone. Should have gotten a good south elevation shot of the model, but was in a hurry. The boot portion of the original design is gone. Replaced by amenities area and open space. Walls are put up on the south side of the Sony Centre forming what could look like the lower boot portion of the "L". So one can argue that there is still an "L" shaped building, facing a different way. Doesn't look nearly as good as before though, imo. :(

Lower floors 3-12 of the tower has been redesigned to loft suites. These will have 10' ceilings.

NewLTowermodel.jpg

Last edited:
So it will still be an L Tower from the south. PHEW! I agree, it's still not what it was, but I'm changing the title back.

The base is less striking but it's definitely more respectful to the Hummingbird Centre, IMO.

In all honesty it looks far better now. The original base was ridiculous, it looked like a big stupid boot crushing the Sony Centre. It was disrespectful and pretentious.

In all honesty it looks far better now. The original base was ridiculous, it looked like a big stupid boot crushing the Sony Centre. It was disrespectful and pretentious.

will have to disagree on this...the new surgically altered design has lost all the original's outrageous stunning charm, imo...

So it will still be an L Tower from the south. PHEW! I agree, it's still not what it was, but I'm changing the title back.

Has the name actually been changed?

No. We facetiously had used a lower case L after the foot of the boot was removed. Now that the new plan shows it will still be an L from the south, the upper case L has been put back.

Not an L anymore

??

sure it is. just a lowercase.

??

Look at the model again: there is a podium being built along the south side of the development bordering the Esplanade.

So any idea when they'll start ... did they have that info at the sales center?

In all honesty shouldn't it be any day now?

From what I can tell they're already working on the inside of the Sony Center (for renovations).

I'm still confused how they're going to sit that tower at the corner. Are they taking down a part of the Sony Centre's southwest corner?

very disappointing ... although the upper portion of the original design remain unchanged .... the new 'L Tower' design represents nothing spectacular when the bottom 'boot' podium was chopped off ~

in this particular instance, I wouldn't blame City Council + Committee for the change, as the developers decided "it was not be feasible" to build the boot podium for commercial space after the Arts Lab fell through ... EVEN THOUGH they agreed and entered into this 'fall back agreement' initially? :mad:

thanks for the pic brise !

Back