Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

I believe the Rogers Centre used to be nicknamed "SkyDome"

Some people still call it Skydome, just as some people still say Royal York instead of the Fairmont Royal York. The Royal York name was going to be dropped all together in favour of the corporate brand, but was kept due to public protest.

Once I'm used to a name, I tend not to want to start calling it something else simply because some company says so. Likewise, I still call Toronto Life Square, Metropolis. My friends know what I mean, so that's the important part.

I believe the Rogers Centre used to be nicknamed "SkyDome" (probably because it's dome opened to the sky).

If this was said tongue-in-cheek then please excuse me.... but are you serious?? It was called the skydome for like 15 years.

Some people still call it Skydome, just as some people still say Royal York instead of the Fairmont Royal York. The Royal York name was going to be dropped all together in favour of the corporate brand, but was kept due to public protest.

Once I'm used to a name, I tend not to want to start calling it something else simply because some company says so. Likewise, I still call Toronto Life Square, Metropolis. My friends know what I mean, so that's the important part.

Yeah I absolutely loathe Rogers for changing the name of our iconic stadium. I truly hated that guy. And "some people" say Royal York? I've never heard anyone say "Fairmont" Royal York. I've also never heard anyone say scotiabank theatre...

I also think of Rogers Centre as the corporate HQ. Skydome is and always will be Skydome. And like gei, I never use "Fairmont" for the Royal York. Too much of a corporate mouthful, imo.

I also think of Rogers Centre as the corporate HQ. Skydome is and always will be Skydome. And like gei, I never use "Fairmont" for the Royal York. Too much of a corporate mouthful, imo.

Fairmont was a bad example because the company buckled to public pressure. It was to be the 'Fairmont' with the 'Royal York' sign taken down. I bet people would have continued to call it the Royal York to this day even if the company had gone ahead with its plans to call it only by the corporate name.

Yeah I absolutely loathe Rogers for changing the name of our iconic stadium. I truly hated that guy. And "some people" say Royal York? I've never heard anyone say "Fairmont" Royal York. I've also never heard anyone say scotiabank theatre...

Fairmont was a bad example. Check my response above. As far as Scotiabank Theatre. I'm glad you've never heard it called that. Not only is it a stupid name, but it's an indication of illiteracy. It's a cinema. Theatre and cinema are two different words for a reason. :rolleyes:

If this was said tongue-in-cheek then please excuse me.... but are you serious?? It was called the skydome for like 15 years.

So? The name changed in 2005. That's when Rogers bought the facility and changed the name. Am I serious? Apparently. I've never been keen on the herd mentality, and I don't take direction well if I find it rubs me the wrong way.

Last edited:
I believe the Rogers Centre used to be nicknamed "SkyDome" (probably because it's dome opened to the sky).

It was oficially named "skydome" by the people who paid for it.

Sorry to take this riveting discussion off-topic, but does anyone know if this hoarding is actually the beginning of construction for the tower?

For construction of the Shoehorn? Well, yes, but who knows what all has to happen in regards to the existing backstage area first: this is a very complex project design-wise, permits-wise, and build-wise, if you'll excuse the clumsy terminology.

In a nutshell: much to do in many stages, be patient!

I would think we'll see some demolition of the back corner of the Sony Centre before any construction or digging starts at all.

Why is it that the crystal addition to the ROM was accepted and built but the base of the L Tower was scrapped? The ROM is much older, and architecturally more significant than the Sony Centre yet I don't remember any preservationists crying about the crystal getting cozy like a pair of balls in Mitt ROMnie.

Who? Why don't they just take money from the Nathan Phillips Square renovation project? Yous guys call yourselves philanthropists. I can smell cheddar but I don't see it being passed around. Somebody give Warren Buffett a call but tell him to drop the 2nd 't' in his name and live up to it's true meaning.

Money may be the culprit here but if everyone at city hall would just sit and watch this video (esp. :19-:26) I'm sure they'd be inspired and would find a way to raise the necessary funds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGuhZvO1DKg

Is there anything that can really stop us when we have a mayor with such an intense presence? 40 second mark. Mayor Miller in his prime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0ZBN7KaOUQ

Who put the curlie in the cookie batter? Smile brah.

"I stuck my head out of the car window and was arrested for mooning."

Rodney Dangerfield

Speaking of lashes. KinK is an excellent program.

Write useful, sensible posts, or get banned.

Last edited:
Kinda went nuts on deleting posts didn't ya?

Why leave his original comment and proceed to delete a sensible response ......

It really doesn't make any sense.

If you want to scrap his whole line of questioning I think you should delete the original post he made just above your comment.
If not I can't fathom why you deleted my reply ... that's pretty much giving him a brand new start.

Kinda went nuts on deleting posts didn't ya?

Why leave his original comment and proceed to delete a sensible response ......

It really doesn't make any sense.

If you want to scrap his whole line of questioning I think you should delete the original post he made just above your comment.
If not I can't fathom why you deleted my reply ... that's pretty much giving him a brand new start.

I want to give Mojo a chance to start with that question again. If he has a serious question, he can try to dig it out and start again.

In regards to the subsequent posts, they just refer to stuff I've deleted and leaving them would clutter up the thread more. The deletes will likely be removed from the thread soon, and it will all be cleaned up.

I want to give Mojo a chance to start with that question again. If he has a serious question, he can try to dig it out and start again.

In regards to the subsequent posts, they just refer to stuff I've deleted and leaving them would clutter up the thread more. The deletes will likely be removed from the thread soon, and it will all be cleaned up.

If I recall the my first reply to the post you left above was the clarification that the base of the L tower was indeed approved and it was the cancellation of the AHA! project that lead to the removal of the base in it's original design.

Is that not a valid response that would possibly avoid endless confusion about the base actually being not approved by city council and hence it's removal?

That was some of what you said, and now that you've reiterated that part of it, we can leave it there.

Back