Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

Beyond the confines of this forum, Torontonians have had a number of nicknames for local buildings - the hangar, the clam shell or the flying saucer ( City Hall ), the mistake by the lake ( Exhibition Stadium ) in particular.

The Nightmare on Elm Street...

3258528187_4281ab577a.jpg

that is a terrific nickname! that neighbourhood, mostly revolving around bay and dundas might be toronto's ugliest. there's hope though. my personal favourite nickname for robarts would have to be the ministry of truth.

what do you guys think we should call the "upside down" sears building on jarvis? the funnel? tetris? it certainly looks like an earlier, more friendlier draft of 1984.

3258916026_03b3663a43_o.jpg

Looking less like a shoe than like a shoehorn, if you ask me.

Oh, here's one more.

FCP = the CD Tower.

I believe the Rogers Centre used to be nicknamed "SkyDome" (probably because it's dome opened to the sky).

Fort Jock? (at the U of T, a counterpart to Fort Book).

The CD Tower? huh?

Like something you store CDs in. You know, tall, vertical, with horizontal slots, etc. So Toronto has the CN Tower, and next it has the CD Tower. Ha, ha.

Back when Huang & Danczkay's Harbourpoint was the most loathed condo on Queen's Quay, I loved to refer to it as a "Poiuyt"

Actually the Rogers Centre was Named the Skydome after a competition to name it. It was build and paid for by tax payers. Rogers pays a fee to put their name on it.... glad it wasn't a stool softening company, vagisil, etc. that bought the naming rights.

^Have you ever heard anyone call Skydome the "Rog Majal"? I bet if it would've been renamed the Vagisil Centre that Torontonians would've affectionately called it the Vag Majal ("Vag" rhyming with Taj) or the Vaghalla.

Rogers pays a fee to put their name on it..

Rogers bought the Skydome for something like $25 million and were able to change the name for practically nothing. There are other companies who pay much more than that for naming rights at arenas and stadiums around the world, and only for a given number of years.

Rogers bought the Skydome for something like $25 million and were able to change the name for practically nothing. There are other companies who pay much more than that for naming rights at arenas and stadiums around the world, and only for a given number of years.

Air Canada paid $40 million over 20 years for the naming rights of the Air Canada Center.

http://espn.go.com/sportsbusiness/s/stadiumnames.html

Yeah, but the Air Canada Centre was built as the Air Canada Centre, it wasn't renamed. And after all, it does look like a hangar, so I can't think of any other appropriate name. I wonder what they do when the naming rights expire.

They resell it to the highest bidder.

Back