Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

This tower seems like it'll be a great place to live once they iron out all the wrinkles (in the next 5-25 years).
If you want a downtown condo there are many choices which are in equally good (or better) locations and the fact that the contractors/developers are clearly having problems and have left much unfinished (see comments above about missing cladding/flashing etc) would not inspire confidence that the basic construction was well done. Fixing 'wrinkles" in buildings can be an expensive exercise!

If you want a downtown condo there are many choices which are in equally good (or better) locations and the fact that the contractors/developers are clearly having problems and have left much unfinished (see comments above about missing cladding/flashing etc) would not inspire confidence that the basic construction was well done. Fixing 'wrinkles" in buildings can be an expensive exercise!

The location is brilliant. It's literally two blocks from the most important transit hub in the city and the city's main business district. It's on the edge of the city's old town. Architecturally, it's one of the most unique skyscrapers in the city. Different locations will appeal to different people, but a lot of professionals would enjoy living there. The costs associated with construction defects can be recovered through litigation.

The location is brilliant. It's literally two blocks from the most important transit hub in the city and the city's main business district. It's on the edge of the city's old town. Architecturally, it's one of the most unique skyscrapers in the city. Different locations will appeal to different people, but a lot of professionals would enjoy living there. The costs associated with construction defects can be recovered through litigation.
Your call but I would probably not want to buy a condo in a building where I might expect years of litigation. Of course, it's a great location (I live nearby!) but it's not the only condo around and the iconic-ness of it is becoming less about the shape and the design and more about the 'permanent' crane on the roof!

Your call but I would probably not want to buy a condo in a building where I might expect years of litigation. Of course, it's a great location (I live nearby!) but it's not the only condo around and the iconic-ness of it is becoming less about the shape and the design and more about the 'permanent' crane on the roof!

That's why I mentioned a 5-25 year period of ironing out wrinkles. The crane will probably come down sooner than that.

It's a terrible and unenviable situation right now, but it will be a property with great long-term value.

That's why I mentioned a 5-25 year period of ironing out wrinkles. The crane will probably come down sooner than that.

It's a terrible and unenviable situation right now, but it will be a property with great long-term value.
Interesting theory! Its reputation has only been getting worse over time, so if you do the math... Only time will tell if this turns around. Investing here would definitely be a risky investment in my eyes. I agree with @DCS, there are many other condos in the area with better reputations and on better corners (aka, long-term construction quality concerns, off a busy road, no ground level presence, close to train tracks, and West views getting blocked by the CIBC Towers in 3-4ish years).

Reactions: DSC
Interesting theory! It's reputation has only been getting worse over time, so if you do the math... Only time will tell if this turns around. Investing here would definitely be a risky investment in my eyes. I agree with @DCS, there are many other condos in the area with better reputations and on better corners (aka, long-term construction quality concerns, off a busy road, no ground level presence, close to train tracks, and West views getting blocked by the CIBC Towers in 3-4ish years).

Reputations change as problems disappear. This tower will be iconic.

Reading complaints about the location of the L Tower beggars belief.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I agree, this location is amazing (I live in in the SLN).

To expand on my thought, I believe there are much better locations in the immediate area (Berczy, 88 Scott, Sixty Colborne, 1 King West, etc.). Living so close to the tracks have their downfalls and from what I've heard from L Tower residents, it is hard to keep your windows open from the trains and ongoing Union construction. This corner also isn't the most pleasant to walk around, with zero street presence and high traffic (I pass by daily).

Like many, disappointed with how the public space has turned out. Sculptures, lack of fountain, and plantings are all sub-par in my opinion.

20180421_115640.jpg

Attachments

• 20180421_115640.jpg
    20180421_115640.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 783
I don’t think the entrance and the design at street level work very well. The “sculptures” are downright painful to look at.

Like many, disappointed with how the public space has turned out. Sculptures, lack of fountain, and plantings are all sub-par in my opinion.

View attachment 141108
This plaza is a FAIL! I have never seen a single person in this plaza and I walk by it almost daily. Then again, there is nowhere for anyone to sit if they wanted to enjoy that publically funded space. Walking by, one would think this is private property restricted from public use. Why is there no public seating?

Back