Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

Is it just me, or are they making the same mistake as always of leaving no exposed ground through which the tree can absorb water (and thus survive more than a few weeks)? Why is it so difficult to give them more than a square foot of space?

Is it just me, or are they making the same mistake as always of leaving no exposed ground through which the tree can absorb water (and thus survive more than a few weeks)? Why is it so difficult to give them more than a square foot of space?
Perhaps the material around it is permeable? Hopefully. I am glad to see they put the effort of protecting the trees from idiots who lock up their bikes to them though. Already though people are using those as bike parking though I see.

Perhaps the material around it is permeable? Hopefully. I am glad to see they put the effort of protecting the trees from idiots who lock up their bikes to them though. Already though people are using those as bike parking though I see.
Similarly to the trees further east on The Esplanade (planted last year and mostly doing very well), these trees are in a full tree trench and there are drains on the sidewalk that allow water to run into them. They are not perfect but are FAR better than the small 'tree coffins' that the City used to plant trees in.(Unfortunately not all sidewalks have enough space for these trenches but the City has been building more and more of them. (Another example is outside Bulk Barn on Front Street.)

Similarly to the trees further east on The Esplanade (planted last year and mostly doing very well), these trees are in a full tree trench and there are drains on the sidewalk that allow water to run into them. They are not perfect but are FAR better than the small 'tree coffins' that the City used to plant trees in.(Unfortunately not all sidewalks have enough space for these trenches but the City has been building more and more of them. (Another example is outside Bulk Barn on Front Street.)

Glad to hear this, there is hope for these trees then.

Not really. Other than the CN Tower and the bridge, there are basically no lights (minus the windows). I wish Scotia Plaza was lit where that tapered V cutout is on the east and west sides. That is such an interesting design feature and it would be nice to see that highlighted at night. You basically can't even tell it exists at night time because the crown is so dark.

And what happened to the rooftop lights on the Bay Wellington Tower? I thought it got a new LED system about a year ago, but the lighting has been so inconsistent? It was on for a while, then off for months, back on again briefly, and now it appears that the lights have been off for several months again. Any idea what the problem is?

Also, wasn't the entire Bay Adelaide Centre supposed to be lit, but the plan was scrapped? That would have been interesting to see.

Just about all of the CityPlace buildings have coloured lights up top. The top of the first Ïce tower is lit and the second will be soon. The Met has a light feature at the top. Aura will have its lights on soon. Trump is trying to get its light feature working. The Canada Life Beacon runs up, runs down, flashes, or stays on depending on the weather. City Hall's north walls are floodlit. Casa's hat glows. Couture has a pattern of lights running up its east elevation. Maple Leaf Gardens is beautifully lit, as are an increasing number of buildings in the Old Town. RBC Place has a lantern and a strip of LEDs up the side. The Delta's zipper and pool are floodlit. M5V's mid-tower mechanical is lit. Cinema Tower's podium amenities and rooftop brow cycle through the rainbow. The top of Festival Tower undulates with light during festivals. The Air Canada Centre and Direct Energy Centre run searchlights during events. The South Beach towers glow green and blue. There are others. It's not a particularly long list yet for the size of the city, but it is a growing one.

Just about all of the CityPlace buildings have coloured lights up top. The top of the first Ïce tower is lit and the second will be soon. The Met has a light feature at the top. Aura will have its lights on soon. Trump is trying to get its light feature working. The Canada Life Beacon runs up, runs down, flashes, or stays on depending on the weather. City Hall's north walls are floodlit. Casa's hat glows. Couture has a pattern of lights running up its east elevation. Maple Leaf Gardens is beautifully lit, as are an increasing number of buildings in the Old Town. RBC Place has a lantern and a strip of LEDs up the side. The Delta's zipper and pool are floodlit. M5V's mid-tower mechanical is lit. Cinema Tower's podium amenities and rooftop brow cycle through the rainbow. The top of Festival Tower undulates with light during festivals. The Air Canada Centre and Direct Energy Centre run searchlights during events. The South Beach towers glow green and blue. There are others. It's not a particularly long list yet for the size of the city, but it is a growing one.

Fair point, though I was speaking mostly about the CBD (I should have specified).

The Met hasn't been lit in a few years and CityPlace is probably the last place that should have rooftop lighting features, considering how banal basically every building is in that development. Such lighting should be used on our more architectural significant buildings, such as Commerce Court North, Royal Bank Plaza, Scotia Plaza, TD Canada Trust Tower, Simpson Tower (it used to be lit), Canada Life Building (should have its entire front face lit; the crown lighting there is underwhelming), Royal York Hotel (should be lit at the crown; only lighting up there is the neon sign), Confederation Life Building, Bank of Nova Scotia building, basically all our deco towers, etc. The buildings that we do tend to light are largely new condos, and usually not very attractive ones (Ice and Delta are exceptions). It's too bad the Four Seasons isn't lit. I do look forward to seeing how One Bloor East will look with its lighting feature. It does seem that more new buildings are opting for lighting features; I wish our offices buildings (old and new) would follow suit. Picasso would look really cool with all its recessed areas lit up.

taken today around 3 pm

IMG_20150709_155948.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150709_155948.jpg
    IMG_20150709_155948.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,188
We all know that the approved reason for the fact that the crane is still in place is because it will be needed to install the window-washing equipment but does anyone know why they have still not finished off the area at the north west corner at ground level and the associated public 'plaza - designed by Claude Cormier. At one time it was to be finished last fall (yes, like the crane!) and then 'in time for the Pan-Am Games'. Unless they can do it in the next 3 hours they will miss that deadline too. Must say it does not give one a great degree of confidence in the developers.

Back