Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

they should take it down. I don't think they need the crane for anything else. the tower is almost done.
Ushahid; god bless you brother/ sister, like me you're from out-of-town and are curious... Having said that, a little less asking and a bit more imbibing is what is called for as an out-of-towner... Not a major criticism, but sometimes carpet-bagging can be a real issue on these boards...

they should take it down. I don't think they need the crane for anything else. the tower is done.
Cranes are expensive to rent. They will take it down when it isn't needed. The fact that it's still up there, and the guy who operates it is still taking photos using it tells me that it is needed.

DSC_1848.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_1848.jpg
    DSC_1848.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,720
I heard a rumour from someone with a bit of inside knowledge, that there is a real issue getting the crane down, and in fact, they will not be able to get it down and parts of it will be disassembled and stored at the top of the building, and then another crane brought in to remove the pieces going up the outside of the building. Sounds crazy. He said that they were going to use a helicopter but permission was denied for safety reasons, not enough clearance. Anyone heard anything to confirm or quash this rumour?

I noticed yesterday that they have removed the fencing around The Esplanade side of the building, it is now 'protected' only by Jersey barriers. As they are still doing overhead work this MAY be connected to the crane removal - however it is done. The PR site for the L-Tower and Backstage construction http://ltowerconstructioninfo.com/ is silent on what is happening.

Not much sign of any work happening to the "plaza" - designed by Claude Cormier - or of work on the rest of the Sony Plaza. In July Council passed this:

Sony Centre for the Performing Arts, Heritage Easement Agreement Upgrades - by Councillor Pam McConnell, seconded by Councillor Gary Crawford

City Council on July 8, 9, 10 and 11, 2014, adopted the following:

1. City Council authorize the City to add the Heritage Easement Agreement upgrade to restore the sidewalk/pavers on the exterior of the Sony Centre for the Performing Arts by the end of September 2014, in an amount not to exceed $0.740 million net of HST recoveries, to the scope of work to be performed by Ferncastle (Front Street) Inc. on behalf of the City, inclusive of all related costs including obtaining a minimum of three quotes for all sub-contract work.

2. City Council direct the City Solicitor and City officials to take whatever steps are necessary to implement Part 1 above, including the entering into of agreements on terms and conditions satisfactory to the City Manager, or his designate, and in a form satisfactory to the City Solicitor.

Time is passing.... The aim was to get economies of scale by doing both projects at same time (by end-September.)

I spoke with an aide from councillor McConnell's office about this during this past week. The details are still being finalized on the Sony Centre plaza.

Back