Toronto Kipling Station Transit Hub | ?m | 2s | Metrolinx | SAI

The part about Islington is a joke. Yeah, so SNC Lavalin pulled out - big deal. Does that mean they'll just sit around and do nothing? Sell off the land to condo developers, for crying out loud. It's a perfect spot for several 50 storey towers. I know they've been holding out for office development since this is downtown Etobicoke (*snicker*) but there's zero demand for it, given the fact that no office space has been built in the area for the last 30 years. Does that mean we should wait around another 30 years for the unlikely chance that a major tenant will want to set up shop here, far away from downtown? Utter nonsense. I simply can't bear to look at this horribly under-utilized site any longer.

The part about Islington is a joke. Yeah, so SNC Lavalin pulled out - big deal. Does that mean they'll just sit around and do nothing? Sell off the land to condo developers, for crying out loud. It's a perfect spot for several 50 storey towers. I know they've been holding out for office development since this is downtown Etobicoke (*snicker*) but there's zero demand for it, given the fact that no office space has been built in the area for the last 30 years. Does that mean we should wait around another 30 years for the unlikely chance that a major tenant will want to set up shop here, far away from downtown? Utter nonsense. I simply can't bear to look at this horribly under-utilized site any longer.

I totally agree with you. I know Build Toronto took over the property, so I am not sure if they will sell it to condo developers. I just hope they don't sell it to Pemberton Group. Michael Power Place is a mess and very unattractive area. Could have been executed better.

Steve: The Kipling project is under Metrolinx now, but I cannot find any reference to it on their site (or GO’s either). I have sent a query to Metrolinx for an update. The Islington project is sitting on the shelf because it was originally to be funded in part through redevelopment of the site. This scheme fell apart.

He posted later on the response from Metrolinx was that Kipling has fallen so far down the priority ladder that there is no target date to start work.

Based on tonight presentation for the new Kipling Regional Terminal, 2019 is still the shooting date to have it open, but maybe 2020.

This is a ram thought project with little input from the public being welcome.

The design of the new terminal and parking lot will be option one going before the design review panel in Sept.

Plans are to start the 6-12 month procedure to close Subway Crescent, as it will terminate it at the bottom into the new terminal. The rest of Subway Crescent will become part of the new parking lot with no access to Auckland.

Acorn will be the only access to the parking lots as a new road with traffic lights. 200 parking spots are being lost as well the current PU loop. A new GO style drop off and pickup will replace the PU. Acorn will become a major road north of Dundas with this new alignment compare to a local street it is today. The amount of traffic that used Auckland today even with the new rebuilt turning lanes will see less than 50% of the current use within day of the new setup for Acorn.

The Terminal is where I expected it to be just west of the substation for TTC and beside TTC trail tracks. The trail tracks are protected to take the subway extension west under the condo to the west to the future Cloverdale Station when it get built. Calls where made for it to happen than this plan, but 12-15 years down the road if it makes its way into the revise Big Move 2016 plan, if then.

The terminal will have 14 bays with retail and a fair number of washrooms. Green roof and a tree court yard in the centre of it.

Prefer to see option 2 parking lot setup even if it mean 55 more spots being lost as you would have 2 access point to it and 3 ways to exit the area vs the 1 under option 1..

A new tunnel with elevators will be built from the terminal to GO platform as well one at the east end of the platform. A tunnel about 300 m with skylights will be built from the terminal to the current PU tunnel. There are plans for other tunnels to Dundas.

2015 will see removal of various soil and relocation of utilities. Tender is to go out in 2016 for building the terminal and looks like 2017 start of construction.

This terminal will never meet the needs of it within 5-15 years as it stands now, as there is no room for expansion of it. Not only will you have MT & GO servicing it, you will have Zum and YRT want to use it as well.

The standard BS was used by all parties with the new ward councilor call for more parking. Them there was the traffic issue along with noise from the buses. The Subway Condo folks where complaining considering there was only 4 of them that the buses will cause them problems getting in and out. That true when you will see a bus ever 20-30 seconds at peak time to 1 minute off peak at startup.

Landscaping is a major park with spaces to park your bikes as well getting to/from the area as a whole. I believe there is a bike room in the new terminal.

Only a few faces on the team that I know as the rest are new to me and very few people from the city side there.

From what was being said about the south parking lot, they better get building that extension now if it has to close in the next 10-15 years as where are you going to put that replacement lot??.

Thanks Drum! Did the possibility of extending the subway to a new terminal come up at all?

Is there a project website?

Last edited:
Thanks Drum. Did the possibility of extending the subway to a new terminal come up at all?
Yes, but part of the 2016 review. This has no effect on this plan even it ends up being only temporary. About 100 out for the meeting consider there been next to no notification of this meeting in the first place

Too bad the newly elected MPP Peter wasn't out and was on the list to show up it the budget matters got done in time. He will be the driving force to have it built sooner than later since he has try a number of time on TTC commission, even as Vice Chair to get it built since 2005.

I have call for the extension over this plan from day one only to Cloverdale, as I don't see a need going to Sherway when it was first proposed. Better off taking it along Dundas to Dixie, as it will drive a totally rebuilt of the whole street and area that is a blight today.

And YRT? Why would YRT want to service Kipling, especially with the Spadina extension? It would be good for a single-fare connection from Missy to York Region though.

Last edited:
And YRT? Why would YRT want to service Kipling, especially with the Spadina extension? It would be good for a single-fare connection from Missy to York Region though.

Like YRT, BRT/Zum will connect with the subway at two stops on the Spadina extension (the 501 and the 501A are going to separate stations as I understand it). Not sure which line of Zum would/could logically extend to Kipling.

Yes, but part of the 2016 review. This has no effect on this plan even it ends up being only temporary. About 100 out for the meeting consider there been next to no notification of this meeting in the first place

Too bad the newly elected MPP Peter wasn't out and was on the list to show up it the budget matters got done in time. He will be the driving force to have it built sooner than later since he has try a number of time on TTC commission, even as Vice Chair to get it built since 2005.

I have call for the extension over this plan from day one only to Cloverdale, as I don't see a need going to Sherway when it was first proposed. Better off taking it along Dundas to Dixie, as it will drive a totally rebuilt of the whole street and area that is a blight today.

The terminal could be built at Cloverdale and Honeydale Mall rather then blowing $$$$ on rebuilding kipling.

The terminal could be built at Cloverdale and Honeydale Mall rather then blowing $$$$ on rebuilding kipling.

Going from Kipling to Honeydale to Sherway to Dixie GO is almost the same distance as following Dundas and having stations at Cloverdale and Dixie GO.

The only parts of Dundas not served would be:
- Honeydale vs. Cloverdale - a virtual trade-off since they are only a few hundred metres away from each other.
- A 1 km section through 427 and Etobicoke Creek that will never be developed.
- A 1.5 km section west of Etobicoke Creek, but I am not sure if there would have been a station at Wharton Way.

So going to Honeydale along the GO corridor is much less expensive initially, and it still maintains westwards expansion towards Dixie just as good or better than the Dundas route.

Going from Kipling to Honeydale to Sherway to Dixie GO is almost the same distance as following Dundas and having stations at Cloverdale and Dixie GO.

The only parts of Dundas not served would be:
- Honeydale vs. Cloverdale - a virtual trade-off since they are only a few hundred metres away from each other.
- A 1 km section through 427 and Etobicoke Creek that will never be developed.
- A 1.5 km section west of Etobicoke Creek, but I am not sure if there would have been a station at Wharton Way.

So going to Honeydale along the GO corridor is much less expensive initially, and it still maintains westwards expansion towards Dixie just as good or better than the Dundas route.
As I stated in the past and was stated by the team at the meeting, the subway extension west of Kipling using the rail corridor is dead as there is no room in it to support the 4 tracks for the Milton Line expansion and TTC.

The one thing about this terminal location and any expansion for the subway is the grade that will be needed to get under the tunnel between GO and the terminal as well the condo. You may have 400 m in total from the end of the Kipling station to the condo and this would put the grade in the range at about 5%-10% and would be the steepest in the system.

By going this route will be done my a TBM vs going along Dundas as a cut and fill.

Why I have stated using Dundas going west to Dixie, it the centre of any redevelopment along the corridor with shorter walking distance than running it beside the rail corridor on the surface. Also, you would have to expropriate everything in the way of the subway expansion that includes residential, new business and retail.

With the new extension, TTC gains the spaces it need that can't be added to Kipling for buses, as well the lost $$$ for the dead heading running time of buses to/from it including MT. A larger parking area that removes cars off Dundas going to/from Kipling today that will make Dundas more livable.

The driving factor for this location terminal is Islington itself, as it falling apart with the current roof/bus bay that has to be rebuilt and not worth the money to do so as that area is going to be replace by a condo. Its costing somewhere around $20m tobuild a temporarily terminal on the old Legion land with TTC buses using the south non roof bus bays. It doesn't have the washrooms it once had as TTC not willing to spend the money to replace them which is dumb considering how long a bus ride is to get to/from it, the extra 15 minutes going to/from Kipling or the 25 minute ride to Yonge stations with washrooms.

The only area I know on Dundas that will not see development is between 427 and the west side of Etobicoke Creek due to ramps. Everything east of 427 is to be redevelop.

These 2 projects would cover 1/7 of the cost to built the subway extension.

One thing that struck me at the meeting was where were the Ford Brothers who represent Etobicoke and the pusher of subways? Rob was losing a battle for his seat at a mayor debate. Ford has never come out once in supporting a subway in his area, yet goes after one outside of it.

Last edited:
So if we're losing parking at Islington and at Kipling in the next few years, why has the Cloverdale extension not been pushed for more heavily?

And seriously, where is Rob Ford on this?

Although I think a one-stop extension to Cloverdale is kinda silly, because Cloverdale isn't a destination, it's still better than no extension. But I think the extension should hit Sherway, even if it's just a branch. When you do end up building to MCC, then build a separate branch for that. I'm not sure where the two branches should diverge though, but ultimately you would choose a westbound train going to either Mississauga Centre or Sherway.

Also, how much would an extension to Cloverdale cost? How about to Sherway?

EDIT: Played with Google Maps a bit, and using as estimate of $350 million per km

Kipling to Cloverdale ~ 1.5 km ($525 million)
Kipling to Sherway (via Cloverdale) ~ 4 km ($1.4 billion)
Kipling to Hurontario (via Dundas) ~ 9.5 km ($3.3 billion)
Kipling to Hurontario (via Sherway) ~ 10 km ($3.5 billion)

For 0.5 km extra, I say service Sherway. You could still have stations at Cloverdale (East Mall), Sherway (West Mall) and Dixie.

Last edited:
So if we're losing parking at Islington and at Kipling in the next few years, why has the Cloverdale extension not been pushed for more heavily?

And seriously, where is Rob Ford on this?

Although I think a one-stop extension to Cloverdale is kinda silly, because Cloverdale isn't a destination, it's still better than no extension. But I think the extension should hit Sherway, even if it's just a branch. When you do end up building to MCC, then build a separate branch for that. I'm not sure where the two branches should diverge though, but ultimately you would choose a westbound train going to either Mississauga Centre or Sherway.

Also, how much would an extension to Cloverdale cost? How about to Sherway?

EDIT: Played with Google Maps a bit, and using as estimate of $350 million per km

Kipling to Cloverdale ~ 1.5 km ($525 million)
Kipling to Sherway (via Cloverdale) ~ 4 km ($1.4 billion)
Kipling to Hurontario (via Dundas) ~ 9.5 km ($3.3 billion)
Kipling to Hurontario (via Sherway) ~ 10 km ($3.5 billion)

For 0.5 km extra, I say service Sherway. You could still have stations at Cloverdale (East Mall), Sherway (West Mall) and Dixie.
How do you plan on getting the subway from Sherway to Dixie with the rail corridor off the table and miss servicing 100,000+ need residents/employees between those 2 stations??

Back