Toronto King East Centre | 140m | 39s | First Gulf | WZMH

I wonder why the developer decided to put a No Frills/Dollarama vs. a condo development. Is there a height restriction? I assume this will also hurt business for the Raba and Sobeys down the street.... Not that they took this into account.

There's a lot of knocking down Dollarama/No Frills. (I'm assuming everyone is ok with the LCBO) :)

I can't speak for all Dollaramas, but the one I've been to on a number of occassions is at Yonge & Bloor and it is filled with well dressed and well heeled customers. Not to mention decent products for the prices. Dollarama is the top of the line when it comes to dollar stores and I think residents are going to find it very convenient to have one in their area.

As for No Frills, if you look at the area, Sobeys and Metro which is a further walk away are good grocery stores but are known for higher prices. The density of the area can certainly carry another grocery store (and more will be built east of Parliament as Corktown/West Donlands develops) and so it makes sense that one with a different niche opens in this area. After all, there are many who spend their money on other things but look to keep their grocery bill in check..

It's hard to get excited about this type of retail, but I think it will be very welcomed by the residents down the street when it comes to day to day life.

I wonder why the developer decided to put a No Frills/Dollarama vs. a condo development. Is there a height restriction? I assume this will also hurt business for the Raba and Sobeys down the street.... Not that they took this into account.

This is not a new building, this is a reworking of the main floor of an existing building.

No Frills Entrance update:

It appears that both the hole knocked into the building on the west side (Princess St) and the fire exit, will serve as a Princess Street entrance way.

There is large white panel framing around both unifying them as one.

No Frills Entrance update:

It appears that both the hole knocked into the building on the west side (Princess St) and the fire exit, will serve as a Princess Street entrance way.

There is large white panel framing around both unifying them as one.

I'm glad to hear that. Walking through a parking lot in downtown Toronto, just made no sense at all. It needed a sidewalk entrance. It will be great to have more retail options in the hood.

The Nimby property owner in me concerned about property value doesn't like the idea of a No Frills, LCBO and Dollarama in the same building side by side by side, however the practical urban consumer in me says, this will make my life a hell of a lot more convenient.

I'm trying to convince myself based on the No Frills in Runnymede Bloor West and the one that existed near Yonge and Finch that the 'No Frills in the neighbourhood' gets a bad rap.

Even taking Dollarama individually as well isn't that bad either, heck, there is a dollar store in every major mall (ie. one in Vaughn Mills was the last one I saw), and taking things a bit further, there is a Winners in Scotia Bank Plaza and on Bloor right by Yorkville. (But maybe I'm just trying to rationalize....)

And an LCBO is probably the least of the stigmas if any, it's more the beers stores that have the bad rap. I'd even somewhat argue that a large LCBO is an increaser of property value, although that is debatable.

However, its just the three together that gives the impression that the whole is worse than the sum of the parts.

Anyhow...
having said all that..
I prefer having it than not. The convenience factor wins out.

This is not a new building, this is a reworking of the main floor of an existing building.

Thanks! I understand this, as my question was asking why a new condo was not proposed. I would think they would gain more $$ than renting out space for Dollarama, No Frills, etc.

hi there,

the no frills was scheduled to open the first week of march last i heard so it could be anytime in march. apparently its going to be a beautiful store says some that seen the project from loblaw head office.

the franchisee will be luciano if his name isnt on the store yet (same luciano that briefly franchised the small store in cabbagetown and will be leaving that store shortly if he hasnt already to focus on this one)

i used to work with luc long before he became a franchisee. he is probably the hardest working individual i have met in any trade. he also has very strong leadership and charisma amongst his teams. i am confident that luc will give you guys downtown a well maintained store.

enjoy, and good luck to luc.

Thanks for the update and details of the franchisee. Has anyone heard of which bank is going into the building? I'm curious as to when they will begin constructing doors for the LCBO, Dollarama and the bank (on the Front Street side).

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5A 3X5

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 11 119565 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Feb 3, 2011

Project: Non-Residential Building Other Proposal

Description: 3 storey expansion at the west portion of the property to bring the total storey's of this building to 6. This is of the existing mixed use/non residential building.

Back