Toronto King East Centre | 140m | 39s | First Gulf | WZMH

A vast improvement over the anti-urban design that was proposed before. I'm not super wild about the office building mimicking the volume shifts of the G&M building (I think one on a block is enough), but the plaza is fantastic.

Very interesting looking lobby for the residential. It looks like it's just a small glass enclosed area with elevators going up to the residential floors. Unless the lobby will be inside the existing building where the No Frills currently is.
Are they planning to get rid of No Frills? It is now a very popular grocery store so something will need to replace it.

Are they planning to get rid of No Frills? It is now a very popular grocery store so something will need to replace it.
Planning rationale implies No Frills will remain, and the design has been modified to ensure it is compatible with the needs of No Frills and other retail tenants:
Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 12.01.58 PM.png

I quite like this. It's a lot of density but that's the direction King East/Front East is going in. There's no way to hold it back, I guess.

It makes a lot of sense to densify this part of town, especially with the King streetcar transit corridor right there. And the project doesn't involve any heritage buildings, unlike a lot of King Street proper.

Updated architectural plans & renderings from May 12 resubmission:

Updated project description:
Zoning By-law Amendment application to permit two new buildings on the block containing the Globe and Mail Centre (to be retained). On the west side of the block is a 37-storey residential building (140 metres). The existing Coca-Cola/George Brown building would remain in place. In the middle of the block is a 27-storey office building (119 metres). The footprint of the new office building would replace some of the existing retail uses fronting on Front Street East. The existing buildings fronting on King Street East would remain in place. A 1,200 square metre POPS space is proposed fronting onto Front Street East.

WZMH Architects: 40 storeys (140 metres including MPH)

1621009053265.png

1621008912879.png

1621008824470.png

1621008864415.png

Massing model:

1621009843089.png

Notable revisions include:

1621009415601.png

• Addition of a podium at the base of the proposed residential tower, with a 3-storey predestrian-scaled streetwall and extension of existing office space in 333 King Street East into levels 4-6 beneath the residential tower
  • Reconfiguration of the POPS to extend along the Front Street Great Street, with the exact area yet to be determined through detailed design
  • Increased separation distance between the proposed residential tower and office tower to 29 m
  • Relocation of the proposed parking and loading access to Princess Street
  • Massing changes to the office tower and podium, including a 5m stepback from the base of the tower to the podium
Development Applications

Attachments

• 1621009088110.png
    1621009088110.png
    694.3 KB · Views: 144
I assume (and hope!) that the No Frills will remain. Clearly the LCBO, Dollarama and CIBC will go. They clearly state that the King Street stores will remain.

I assume (and hope!) that the No Frills will remain. Clearly the LCBO, Dollarama and CIBC will go. They clearly state that the King Street stores will remain.

At over 6,000m2 (over 66,000ft2) I think you can assume that a supermarket use is being retained.

Reactions: DSC
Something I'm keen on in this.........

(no surprise)....

They're adding trees to the Front Street streetscape.

It feels very sterile there now with the blank sidewalk.

1621012233570.png

Also nice to see proper soil volumes for each tree; and irrigation.

I could do w/trading out the Ginkos though for some nice Red Oak.....just sayin.

1621012330052.png

Back