Toronto King + Condos | 53.03m | 17s | King Plus | TACT Architecture

There's nothing specifically suburban about podiums at all. One of the main purposes of podiums is to stop wind that's heading down the side of a building from hitting the sidewalk: the wind gets deflected at the step back, leaving streets more walkable. I don't want to see podiums everywhere, but they are useful.

There's nothing specifically suburban about podiums at all. One of the main purposes of podiums is to stop wind that's heading down the side of a building from hitting the sidewalk: the wind gets deflected at the step back, leaving streets more walkable. I don't want to see podiums everywhere, but they are useful.

But as someone mentioned in another thread, wind doesn't seem to be much of a problem in Manhattan where vertical street canyons are plentiful.

I think the idea I and some others in the other thread were picking up on was that podiums are suburban because they're a less integrated form of city building. Using the John/Adelaide intersection as an example, the three towers on the s/w lot add density but their podiums also make the lot appear divided into individual lots, much like any highly planned suburban neighborhood.

So in that respect, I think podiums are suburban. I suppose the question is whether their effect on reducing wind gusts on the street level makes them less suburban. I don't see that it does, with the exception that wind gusts are a distinctively urban problem, and hence any design features that limit them are driven by non-suburban considerations.

I think that's a rather indirect connection between podiums and city building, though. Either way, we might be speaking past each other insofar as I was evaluating podiums from a more aesthetic perspective, and you and others from more of a functional perspective.

From an urban density nerd's perspective, I'd take sweet streetwall canyons over wind gusts though. :p

But as someone mentioned in another thread, wind doesn't seem to be much of a problem in Manhattan where vertical street canyons are plentiful.

Podiums are pretty much a product of Manhattan which regulated tall buildings adhere to wedding cake designs after the first big high rise push. Empire State sits on a four storey podium. Chrysler's is about 15 storeys.

January 9, 2015 update:

IMG_20150109_150151.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150109_150151.jpg
    IMG_20150109_150151.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,297
February 6th update:

IMG_20150206_135544.jpg

IMG_20150206_135650.jpg

IMG_20150206_141423.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150206_135544.jpg
    IMG_20150206_135544.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 679
  • IMG_20150206_135650.jpg
    IMG_20150206_135650.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 681
  • IMG_20150206_141423.jpg
    IMG_20150206_141423.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 679
It's really NOT so good when seen up close 'in person". It looks like rather poor pre-cast - which it is.

Yeah, it looks absolutely terrible. I would have preferred just a stucco finish to the horribly fake looking pre-cast bricks. The pictures really don't show how bad they look in reality. The pre-cast sections don't even match each other properly, you can see the variance in the photos if you look closely.

It's really NOT so good when seen up close 'in person". It looks like rather poor pre-cast - which it is.

Ah right, pre-cast; I was searching for the word. Yeah, that's too bad. I'll have to check it out myself. In those pics it looks pretty clean and consistent, but I know that in person that look can come across has downright cheap.

Back