Toronto King Blue by Greenland | 155.75m | 48s | Greenland | Arcadis

In terms of clubs, I'm speaking less about the raw number of them (though I'd venture that the number is less than a third of what it was in 2004-2010), and more about the perception of the area as the 'go-to destination' for entertainment. Those who go out really don't even use the term 'clubbing' anymore - it's a vestige of a time when large-format, multi-room spaces did well. People are now looking for smaller, more intimate venues and are thus drawn to places like King between Spadina and Bathurst for their 'entertainment' needs.

As you both note however, this also has to do with an evolving notion of the term 'entertainment'.

when I think of the entertainment district - I more think University to spadina, Queen to the rail corridor. And that area still has tons of clubs to go to - though King West between Spadina and Bathurst is definitely the "spot" for a friday night today, more so than any club scattered around the entertainment district. none of them are actual clubs though since the city doesn't permit new clubs to open anywhere but the entertainment district. They are forced to skirt the line of a club as close as possible without actually being one.

And yes, the majority of the non alcohol related entertainment is in the district still. Second City, TIFF, Royal Alex, Princess of Wales, etc.

Taken yesterday:
20180706_100430.jpg
20180706_100446.jpg

Attachments

• 20180706_100430.jpg
    20180706_100430.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 477
  • 20180706_100446.jpg
    20180706_100446.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 464
In terms of clubs, I'm speaking less about the raw number of them (though I'd venture that the number is less than a third of what it was in 2004-2010), and more about the perception of the area as the 'go-to destination' for entertainment. Those who go out really don't even use the term 'clubbing' anymore - it's a vestige of a time when large-format, multi-room spaces did well. People are now looking for smaller, more intimate venues and are thus drawn to places like King between Spadina and Bathurst for their 'entertainment' needs.

As you both note however, this also has to do with an evolving notion of the term 'entertainment'.
Used to like a bar called "red tomato" loved the intimate and lively atmosphere back then non these days with the social media apps and devices..

Kind of strange seeing photos of places you were just a few years ago that had none of these large condos in them

It's going to be nice when this part of Blue Jays Way is cleaned up, especially by the planned developments in this empty lot on the s/w corner here. It's always felt crummy down here.

Just in time for the World Cup too. Hopefully Yonge can get done by then + the Rail Deck park.

And complete the GO RER buildout. And open HSR to London, Kitchener, Kingston, Ottawa, and Montreal. And the Relief Line, phases 1, 2, 3, and 4. And the Eglinton West LRT. And the Waterfront West LRT. And the Queens Quay East LRT. And complete the entire Port Lands. And all of East Harbour. And develop all of the empty space surrounding the Distillery District. And replace every sidewalk in town with granite. And close Kensington Market to traffic on every Sunday. And bury all wires. And triple our parks maintenance budget. And get platform doors installed on all Line 1 stations. And complete our 1km Minimum Grid cycling network with actually protected lanes everywhere. And fix our intersection geometry across the city. And get our yellow belt zoning fixed to permit gentle density increases. And install free municipal WiFi across the city. And solve the affordable housing crisis. And put Giorgio Mammoliti on a bus to Saskatoon.

If we're going to have 3 or 4 games of international soccer, let's get everything done… or turn off the lights and pretend we're not here: the shame we'd feel having some soccer fans in town and some reporters just wouldn't be bearable unless every little World Class thing gets done first.

And put Giorgio Mammoliti on a bus to Saskatoon.
That's too much like exile to Elbe. We all know how that ended. Yellowknife seems more like the Saint Helena we need

I think it's too much to foist him upon any of our fellow Canucks.

Send him to Cleveland.
Gotta fill that LeBron power vacuum somehow.

Back