Toronto King Blue by Greenland | 155.75m | 48s | Greenland | Arcadis

He's referring to its architecture, not its function. An architectural landmark is what he wants for the Entertainment District.
I think it's an architectural gem. Festival Tower is another story, though.

Both are more dignified than the latest King Blue renderings.

With a few notable exceptions development in Toronto is driven by a frontier town mentality, led by speculators and investors. There is little concern for building sustainable 'housing' for families, liveable spaces, engaging architecture with quality materials or leaving behind a beautiful public realm with a functioning infrastructure...

If you view things from this perspective these announcements are far less outrageous!

In other words, just switch brain into mediocre mode with regards to architecture (and a lot of other things) in this city. It's the Toronto Way!

Looking at those renderings, I feel as though my eye balls have been accosted. It's just terrible. There seems to be absolutely no consideration for context (save for the token white boxes on the podium). Build this is MCC where it belongs.

Here's to hoping the DRP has a field day with this one.

Also, this is somewhat unrelated, but the name "Remington" for this developer drives me NUTS. It reminds me of Remington's, the strip bar, and it just sounds annoying/trashy to begin with. I just had to get that out because every time I see this thread title it drives me bonkers!

Also, this is somewhat unrelated, but the name "Remington" for this developer drives me NUTS. It reminds me of Remington's, the strip bar, and it just sounds annoying/trashy to begin with. I just had to get that out because every time I see this thread title it drives me bonkers!

I must be a bit older than you, as in my mind the name Remington is inseparable from this guy:

Victor-300x235-he-liked-it-so-much.jpg

People seem to be more excited about the other project on King but this is much more prominent and replacing a parking lot.

People seem to be more excited about the other project on King but this is much more prominent and replacing a parking lot.

401-415 King Street West is of superior design and rightfully deserves the extra praise. However, this project's prominence is exactly why it needs the Design Review Panel to step in and demand refinements to salvage any value in this bland and uninspiring eyesore. The current design looks primitive and automatically aged, like something we'd expect from 10 years ago in this construction boom. The facadectomy of the Westinghouse is tragic enough, so it definitely deserves a better design treatment than this garbage.

i'm sorry, but massey tower, context king west and 60 colborne are not the only decent projects out there at the moment. agreed re: the 460 yonge/501 yonge/aura garbage characterization but there are some very good ones out there. even up the block from the 460/501 garbage with hpa's five and 8 gloucester projects which are two nearby examples. also picasso and a whole host of others in the king west district if you want to stick closer to home. not fair to simply categorize everything as garbage.

Just noted three outstandingly good and bad examples. Didn't mean to be exhaustive. There are many more good ones...and bad ones.

agreed although the other one does have what is arguably a more promiment location (at least from a visual standpoint) at spadina.

In other words, just switch brain into mediocre mode with regards to architecture (and a lot of other things) in this city. It's the Toronto Way!

Perhaps a little Canadian insecurity showing through!!!!!

Trust me when I say.. It is the "MODERN" way, and it is everywhere... You are just inundated with it, because you have so many projects... :rolleyes:

Mpls has built many 4 story precast, assemble by numbers, apts and condos, (which when they do not sell, are turned into apts!! LOL)
Block E downtown is a pastiche of horrible facades, new Mosaic in Uptown is a precast monster at 8 storys, and thats as tall as they dare go,even with 4 floors being a parking ramp.. ( and there is no Mosaic anywhere to be found)

The quality level in Toronto so surpasses these projects that it amazes me you think the Toronto way is inherent to only our fine city???? :confused:

I recall many beautiful projects built recently on par with anything built in N.A.!! ( Lumiere?? Four Seasons?? X??? Ice??? (we will see?) Ritz, SL??? I think your all a little spoiled.. and if you think that making money as a bottom line, is only in Torontonian construction.... you should spread your eyes a litte wider!!!! ( and by that I mean south if the border!)

Back